Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Question - improvement to my audio?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - improvement to my audio?

Hello all,

I currently have a 2006 Crossfire Coupe. The radio that was installed is this - http://www.kenwoodusa.com/KDC-BT948HD. I believe my car has Infinity speakers aswell.

I was wondering, how could I improve my audio and get a better sound?

The sound I have is good depending on the song I play. I noticed I have to go into Itunes to crank up the volume in order to get better results.

I prefer a loud crisp sound rather than the subwoofer sound.

Im not looking to spend more than 200-300.

Any suggestions would be great. Let me know what are good speakers and radio's.

The brands I like are Bose, Pioneer, Dr Dre beats etc.

Would it be better to replace my speakers or radio stereo?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question - improvement to my audio?

I never listen to mt radio love my new exhaust music, Flowmaster super 44 muffler.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LE Cross
Hello all,

I currently have a 2006 Crossfire Coupe. The radio that was installed is this - Kenwood - KDC-BT948HD. I believe my car has Infinity speakers aswell.

I was wondering, how could I improve my audio and get a better sound?
How is it connected? Via speaker out or RCA preamp out? RCA out will not give full volume.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
How is it connected? Via speaker out or RCA preamp out? RCA out will not give full volume.
How do I find this out?

Im new to audio.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:00 AM

Sorry, I assumed that you installed it. If it was installed for you, maybe you can ask the installer. If not, you would have to take it out and look. I just put a Kenwood in mine a couple weeks ago, first I installed it with the speaker wires from the radio to the factory wiring, and it was much louder than the factory radio due to overdriving the amp. The Kenwood has a "volume adjust" which reduces the overall volume and on the maximum setting of 8 I could turn the volume all the way to 35 on the kenwood and still have clear music without overdriving the system. I wanted to wire into the rear subwoofers separately, so I changed it all to the pre-amp out RCA connectors, knowing it would be lower volume, which it was. I am still waiting to tear into it again, no sound from subs... BUT also in the Kenwoods settings there is Bass,Mid and Treble adjustments. I set the Bass and Mid to max, and the Treble to a couple steps higher, and it sounded a lot better, and a good bit louder. Plus you can still tell the speed/volume feature is working. Read the manual for your radio, check how it can be wired, and if you can ask the installer or look at the back of it, it will be obvious if they used the RCA pre-amp outs.
Also, I have to admit, getting the Kenwood to release is not as smooth as the factory radio.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Sorry, I assumed that you installed it. If it was installed for you, maybe you can ask the installer. If not, you would have to take it out and look. I just put a Kenwood in mine a couple weeks ago, first I installed it with the speaker wires from the radio to the factory wiring, and it was much louder than the factory radio due to overdriving the amp. The Kenwood has a "volume adjust" which reduces the overall volume and on the maximum setting of 8 I could turn the volume all the way to 35 on the kenwood and still have clear music without overdriving the system. I wanted to wire into the rear subwoofers separately, so I changed it all to the pre-amp out RCA connectors, knowing it would be lower volume, which it was. I am still waiting to tear into it again, no sound from subs... BUT also in the Kenwoods settings there is Bass,Mid and Treble adjustments. I set the Bass and Mid to max, and the Treble to a couple steps higher, and it sounded a lot better, and a good bit louder. Plus you can still tell the speed/volume feature is working. Read the manual for your radio, check how it can be wired, and if you can ask the installer or look at the back of it, it will be obvious if they used the RCA pre-amp outs.
Also, I have to admit, getting the Kenwood to release is not as smooth as the factory radio.
Hello mate,

Really appreciate your time.

Yea the radio was not installed by me. It was installed when I bought the car.

I actually took the radio out last week in order to paint my console pieces. Not sure what I would be looking for though haha.

The settings you mentioned I will give it a go.

So you don't think new speakers are needed mate?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:13 PM

Depends, a good chance not. I will look at the manual for your radio to see how close it is to mine. The model I installed is in my signature. I REALLY wanted one with HD Radio, but I wanted a silver one that looked closer to factory more.
When you pull it out, look for the connecitons on the radio itself. If anything is hooked up to the RCA jacks, that will be a "cleaner" source for the amp, but not the "loudest" due to the factory radio supposedly being a 4v out, and the Kenwood being a 2v or 2.5v out. (I am just guessing here, I will try to double check.) Also, is your Crossfire a "Limited" or a "Base" I don't think the "Base" has the amplifier and/or rear subs. Main obvious things the Limited has is Leather, silver windshield, heated seats, silver door handles and side spears.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:25 PM

Look at page 40 & 41 on the manual. Check the setting for "Volume Offset" and the Manual Equalizer control.
I looked up the specs on your radio, and it looks like it IS a 4v preamp out, so basically ignore everything I said about that earlier.
I would double check all the settings on the radio, and maybe reset it entirely.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Look at page 40 & 41 on the manual. Check the setting for "Volume Offset" and the Manual Equalizer control.
I looked up the specs on your radio, and it looks like it IS a 4v preamp out, so basically ignore everything I said about that earlier.
I would double check all the settings on the radio, and maybe reset it entirely.
Really appreciate you helping me out.

I have a 2006 Limited version.

I think resetting the settings may do the trick.

I will do what you suggested above about the settings.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Other than the sound issue (is it mainly too low a volume?)
How do you like that radio? Do you use HD radio?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM

Other than the sound issue (is it mainly too low a volume?)
How do you like that radio? Do you use HD radio?
I do like the radio. Its odd because it might be the song causing the issues. One song will be low volume and the others will be perfect.

This in my opinion is because of the Itunes settings. I needed to update the settings to make the volume louder.

The radio is good. I don't use the radio too much as I prefer listening to my own music. However, I would suggest HD Radio.

I just think maybe theirs a even better way to improve my sound system. As my mates sound sounds quite abit better.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I split my factory amp into 4 channels and have the doors running off the front and the subs off the rear. I can use the fader control to adjust how much of the subs I want.
There is a thread here somewhere with pictures if you are willing to give it a try.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by stryfox
I split my factory amp into 4 channels and have the doors running off the front and the subs off the rear. I can use the fader control to adjust how much of the subs I want.
There is a thread here somewhere with pictures if you are willing to give it a try.
Yea I may be interested. Where is that thread?

I wish I knew more about my setup.

I bought the car with the setup audio so not sure what all the previous owner did.

I do however have a picture of the radio taken out with all the cables attached. Would that help if I post that to show you whats connected?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:40 AM

Yea I may be interested. Where is that thread?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...amplifier.html

Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a super system like mine in my signature just kidding mate. To answer your question, I would go with some high quality component speakers. They made a huge difference in mine. But like everyone else stated above, the settings can probably solve it. I can go between full on rock concert, and classical music theater with the push of a few buttons.

Last edited by chturner; 08-11-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Really appreciate you helping me out.

I have a 2006 Limited version.

I think resetting the settings may do the trick.

I will do what you suggested above about the settings.
WHOA! Are you in the group? ATL/North Georiga people hang out on Facebook at "Crossfires in the South". Join us, we are planning another meet - you should be there!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
WHOA! Are you in the group? ATL/North Georiga people hang out on Facebook at "Crossfires in the South". Join us, we are planning another meet - you should be there!
If you do you should have a pile of 220uFD non polarized electrolytics and do the stereo mod for everybody....

Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 AM

Thanks mate. I will take a look.

Originally Posted by chturner
Get a super system like mine in my signature just kidding mate. To answer your question, I would go with some high quality component speakers. They made a huge difference in mine. But like everyone else stated above, the settings can probably solve it. I can go between full on rock concert, and classical music theater with the push of a few buttons.
How much were the speakers you installed in your car mate?

Also are you talking about the Kenwood settings under menu's in the Kenwood radio?

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Hello mate, im not in the group yet. I will check it out.

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
If you do you should have a pile of 220uFD non polarized electrolytics and do the stereo mod for everybody....
Hahaha

Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hahaha
Yup, makes the stock head unit sound like the $100 replacements for about $5.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:32 PM

How do I turn up the trible on my kenwood radio

Quick Reply: Question - improvement to my audio?