Old 12-14-2020, 02:05 PM
ABSAAL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission FLuid, Differential Fluid at 100k Miles

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
1) Fluid and filter every 60,000 for an auto is my personal rule.
2) Did mine around 90,000 on the Graphite, came out smelling like tar - did it at 40,000 in my SE and 55,000 with my Ford Ranger. I used Mobile 1 75W90, took less than two quarts.
3) I ordered the cable/plug set Needwings sells. I've never bought a bad part from Rob and never had a 'fit' issue, either.
4) I would change the thermostat, but most don't. If you are not going to use the right coolant, just use 100% distilled water, does that work with your "feelings"?
5) Yes, use recommended fluids.
Originally Posted by onehundred80
All good ideas except the coolant, use the recommended coolant, why save a few bucks on something that is so important?
Thanks! The Prestone Long Life says it is compatible with all makes and all models. Is there anything I am missing? It should be ok, right? I'm spending 6 dollars on prestone per gallon vs. 20-30 dollars on oem.
Also, in case the trans fluid is 100k miles old, will my transmission start slipping? Don't want to risk that.
I'll look more into needswings. Also, Iridium vs Platinum, any difference? I know the car comes with platinum oem, so is it worth spending more for the iridium?

Thanks!