Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Transmission Fluid, Differential Fluid at 100k Mile

Old 12-13-2020, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Fluid, Differential Fluid at 100k Mile

Hello all, I recently received my Mom's 2004 Crossfire Coupe as a gift, and I love the thing. I have fixed countless issues on it through the great minds of this forum, but needed some advice
My car has 98,090 miles, and I wanted to do the 100k mile maintenance within the next month or two. My mom and I are am the second owner since about 60k miles.
1. I am not sure about the transmission history, but I know we have never changed the fluid. Is it advisable to do so now? It may be 100k mile old trans fluid. I don't want the transmission slipping.
2. Same thing with the rear transfer case. I am not sure about its history with the previous owner, but I know we have never changed it. Advisable to do it now at almost 100k?
3. I am going to do spark plugs and wires, but not coils as I have read on this forum that coils are a waste of money. I am looking at Bosch double platinum spark plugs and STI wires on fcpeuro.com. Are these good, or should I get something better such as Bosch Iridium? I have seen the stuff on Needswings, but personally don't like NGK and want to stick with Bosch. I have owned 4 Mercedes vehicles, and Bosch has worked great for each of them.
4. I am going to do a coolant flush with prestone long life. I don't feel like spending $20 on some specialty Mercedes coolant. Will Prestone do the job? Also, should i change out my thermostat as well for some preventative maintenance?
5. Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2020, 11:42 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Transmission FLuid, Differential Fluid at 100k Miles

Originally Posted by ABSAAL
Hello all, I recently received my Mom's 2004 Crossfire Coupe as a gift, and I love the thing. I have fixed countless issues on it through the great minds of this forum, but needed some advice
My car has 98,090 miles, and I wanted to do the 100k mile maintenance within the next month or two. My mom and I are am the second owner since about 60k miles.
1. I am not sure about the transmission history, but I know we have never changed the fluid. Is it advisable to do so now? It may be 100k mile old trans fluid. I don't want the transmission slipping.
2. Same thing with the rear transfer case. I am not sure about its history with the previous owner, but I know we have never changed it. Advisable to do it now at almost 100k?
3. I am going to do spark plugs and wires, but not coils as I have read on this forum that coils are a waste of money. I am looking at Bosch double platinum spark plugs and STI wires on fcpeuro.com. Are these good, or should I get something better such as Bosch Iridium? I have seen the stuff on Needswings, but personally don't like NGK and want to stick with Bosch. I have owned 4 Mercedes vehicles, and Bosch has worked great for each of them.
4. I am going to do a coolant flush with prestone long life. I don't feel like spending $20 on some specialty Mercedes coolant. Will Prestone do the job? Also, should i change out my thermostat as well for some preventative maintenance?

Thanks!
All good ideas except the coolant, use the recommended coolant, why save a few bucks on something that is so important?

Old 12-14-2020, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by ABSAAL

Thanks!
1) Fluid and filter every 60,000 for an auto is my personal rule.
2) Did mine around 90,000 on the Graphite, came out smelling like tar - did it at 40,000 in my SE and 55,000 with my Ford Ranger. I used Mobile 1 75W90, took less than two quarts.
3) I ordered the cable/plug set Needwings sells. I've never bought a bad part from Rob and never had a 'fit' issue, either.
4) I would change the thermostat, but most don't. If you are not going to use the right coolant, just use 100% distilled water, does that work with your "feelings"?
5) Yes, use recommended fluids.

Old 12-14-2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
1) Fluid and filter every 60,000 for an auto is my personal rule.
2) Did mine around 90,000 on the Graphite, came out smelling like tar - did it at 40,000 in my SE and 55,000 with my Ford Ranger. I used Mobile 1 75W90, took less than two quarts.
3) I ordered the cable/plug set Needwings sells. I've never bought a bad part from Rob and never had a 'fit' issue, either.
4) I would change the thermostat, but most don't. If you are not going to use the right coolant, just use 100% distilled water, does that work with your "feelings"?
5) Yes, use recommended fluids.
Originally Posted by onehundred80
All good ideas except the coolant, use the recommended coolant, why save a few bucks on something that is so important?
Thanks! The Prestone Long Life says it is compatible with all makes and all models. Is there anything I am missing? It should be ok, right? I'm spending 6 dollars on prestone per gallon vs. 20-30 dollars on oem.
Also, in case the trans fluid is 100k miles old, will my transmission start slipping? Don't want to risk that.
I'll look more into needswings. Also, Iridium vs Platinum, any difference? I know the car comes with platinum oem, so is it worth spending more for the iridium?

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2020, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts

Zerex G-05 is the stuff you want, with several gallons of distilled water.
Again as to plugs and wires, I buy what Rob sells,NGK Iridium plugs and Magnecor Wires.

I offer no advice on automatic transmissions, other than, "I dont drive or like autos." Do not FLUSH it, just change fluid and filter.

The following users liked this post:
ABSAAL (12-14-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I used the prestone fluid. For the transmission i used the valvoline multi vehicle.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:40 PM
Default Re: Transmission Fluid, Differential Fluid at 100k Mile

Hey everyone, so here is an update. Everything is going great so far, hit a snag though. Need your help. Here is what I have done so far for the 100k mile service:
- Differential Fluid Changed with Amsoil
- Transmission Fluid, filter, and gasket changed with amsoil
- Engine oil change with Mobil 1 0w-40 and mahle filter
- New all-season tires (Hankook) I don't take it on the track so there was no need for michelins or toyos
- All 12 spark plugs replaced with Bosch 9600
- All 12 wires replaced with STI wires
- Threw in a bottle of techron in the gas tank
- Hatch struts replaced
- Some cheap Chrysler interior bits and bobs replaced
- New Kenwood Radio, Rockford-fosgate speakers
- Couple other parts changed here and there

And that is where I hit a snag:
Was about to do coolant flush... radiator petcock/drain valve broke. No pressure applied at all, just sheared off on me. No coolant is leaking, and none will leak. What advice do you have? How can i get my petcock out or my coolant flushed some other way?

Thanks

Last edited by ABSAAL; 01-05-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:25 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Pull the lower radiator hose at the radiator.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:19 PM

You just have to take care of your petcock, if taken for granted you’ll find that one day it will let you down.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello! I've spent days researching the transmission limp mode issue. I've decided to order a conductor plate kit from fcpeuro. (#722CSKNF) Now my current dillema. What ATF to use? 236.10, 236.12, .14, etc...? The roadster is a 2005 model. I'll check the book tonight. My guess at the moment is it will say 236.10. The book was printed in 2005 and these other fluids have been developed since then. I know I'm asking for it - a big debate, but really just would like a definitive answer. What ATF fluid??
My dentist once told me the only thing 2 out of 3 dentists would agree on is the 3rd one is a quack.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 03-15-2021, 04:13 PM

Hey Gubbys, best of luck with the conductor plate! You mention FCP Euro, they are probably the most reliable Euro shop on the web and imho,. Whatever transmission fluid they recommend, I would get. I see on their website for the 2004 SLK 320 they are reccomending Pentosin and Liqui-Moly, both should work fine. They offer heavy gaurantees with their stuff.
And hey, worst case you need a new transmission, you can pick up a 722.6 for pretty cheap from a junk yard for about 500 bucks. It is a pretty widely used transmission. Best of luck!

Old 09-10-2021, 11:43 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Are you using this sight as a sales venue?

The following 2 users liked this post by ZERACER:
JustSynthetic.com (09-10-2021), NeedSynthetic.com (07-17-2022)
Old 09-10-2021, 07:54 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 461 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Are you using this sight as a sales venue?
His very first post here on the forum......

Originally Posted by JustSynthetic.com
New and based in Savannah, GA.
I am a AMSOIL Synthetic Oil Independent Dealer so don't beat me up to much please.
Got a hold of a 2004 in Black auto all stock. Ready to change all the fluids and give it a tune-up and new shoes.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Valk
His very first post here on the forum......
I say ban him, his posts are either straight advertising or advertising behind a smoke screen. I doubt he has a Crossfire anyway. He is probably on other forums doing the same thing.
Even his forum name is an advert.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-10-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to start a firestorm of conflict! But even the "pushing the limits" reply didn't seem to hit the nail on the head as to what specific ATF to use. It seems to give options. I was hoping for 1 answer.
I did order the conductor plate kit from FCPEuro. It came with all I needed for the job, including the Pentosin ATF. They assured me that the formula supplied matches the older fluid and would be no problem. The changing of the parts went well. No leaks! Transmission has been behaving well since completing the job. (First time inside an automatic transmission for anything other than a filter and fluid change - 40 years ago. On a Ford.)
Speaking of time! I guess it may have been at least 2 years since I did the work! I sent the query to the list in 2017, mulled about it, then bought the kit.
Thanks for the input and opinions.
Bill

The following 2 users liked this post by gubbys2005crossfire:
JustSynthetic.com (09-13-2021), NeedSynthetic.com (07-17-2022)