View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 12:22 PM
amx1397
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Re: Consumer Report on Tires dec2021

[QUOTE=Deepsea21;964784]I'll state again that I personally prefer All Season tires on my non-supercharged XF. When I look at this little front engine coupe with 225's in the front and 255's in the rear and consider I'm driving an automatic that has 215 HP through a conservative transmission, the stock rear tire size is downright silly overkill (but it does look very cool). For me, running high performance, soft and sticky close to slicks summer tires on a car like this is silly as that rubber just wears away more on its own than anything to do with my driving style in a very tame car like this. I personally believe a car like this benefits more from all seasons that offer more and deeper tread from the standpoint of safety. Even with all seasons on this car there's total overkill of the amount of rubber touching the road. Has anyone here ever broken the rear of this car lose running all-seasons on dry pavement under clean driving conditions? I doubt it. For those who consider these cars daily drivers and use them 3 seasons a year, running all season tires can make the difference between having the front or rear totally break lose on water or anything from wet leaves to cut grass clippings on the road.

IMHO, expensive and quick wearing high performance summer tires is a waste of $ on this car and can lead to more harm than good, even if you only drive it in the summer (as it does rain in the summer). I like the following ALL SEASON tires: Micheline Pilot Sport, Bridgestone Potenza and Goodyear Eagle. I'm running Potenza on the front now and still have Micheline in the rear but I think the next pair for the rear will be the Potenza. The Potenza on the front are doing great and in an understeer situation they don't do anything spooky other than let me know I'm pushing it a little too hard and I can feel them losing grip (despite this recirculating ball steering we're stuck with). If I pushed it too hard on wet pavement running Pilot Super Sport or most other ultra high performance summer tires in the front I'd find out about it when I hit the guard rail or went into the ditch front end first and if the rear tires let go I'd find out about when the back swung around and went into the guard rail or the ditch. For what it's worth, here are my All Season tire recommendations whether you drive year round or only in the summer... Bridgestone, Micheline and Goodyear. I think some of you may see why I'm leaning to the Potenza when it comes time to replace my rear tires. As much as I love Micheline and run them on all of my other automobiles, I'm really liking the Bridgestone Potenza on the front of this XF that is a unique animal so why not try them on the rear.

Of course, there will be those who say tread like this only belongs on a truck. Umm, I have a truck and if you think the following is truck tread you ain't seen nothin'. quote

I didn't know u said it the first time what i am showing members that summer, winter, drag radials or all season tires ,, the higher the UTQG number the longer the tire will last.