Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Consumer Report on Tires Dec 2021

Old 01-22-2022, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Consumer Report on Tires Dec 2021

.......shopping for tires led me to this article and I thought some could find this useful, or a place to start.

Some categories wouldn’t apply...like winter driving, braking&hydroplaning (which are not pluses for Crossfires anyway)
Ride and noise ........price and mileage are things important to me.

Anyone have comments that would be considered helpful ?

The following users liked this post:
onehundred80 (01-24-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 12:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Re: Consumer Report on Tires dec2021

Michelins are in the top three in all categories. They have been my choice for all my vehicles. Obviously different types/specialties for each vehicle's purpose.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good morning JoeO -a few thoughts to consider,
My mistake #1 - bought summer ultra performance tires, on my ‘05 (Bridgestone Pole Position). So depending where you live (I’m in San Francisco Bay Area), ambient temperature turned out to be an issue. According to Bridgestone, they don’t recommend driving the car bellow 45f or so, we, it gets below that here - so those were not ideal in my case.

When new tires went on the ‘04, I selected Michelin Pilot Sport AS ultra performance tires, and they’re great. No temperature concerns, really quiet, and with tons of grip! Tread rating was higher than the Bridgestones, with A/AA traction and temperature ratings. With the XF’s staggered tire size, rotation is NOT an option, so I suggest sticking to major tire series as you may purchase two tires at a time.

some pics: you can see the tire pattern diff between both tires. Let me know if I can add anything else, and welcome to the forum!,,

Old 01-22-2022, 03:08 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I see they liked the dws06's I'll be switching to at some point.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

tires manufacture by same co are different example
Compare
Not Yet Rated
HANKOOK
VENTUS S1 EVO2
Ultra High Performance Summer
  • Size: 225/40R18 92Y XL
  • 2017 Production
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Load Range: XL
  • Serv. Desc: 92Y
  • UTQG: 280 A A
  • VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2 - SIZE: 225/40R18

High Performance All-Season
    (125)
    | Reviews (107)
  • Details & Pricing
  •  
    • Size: 225/40R18
    • Style: Blackwall
    • Load Range: XL
    • Serv. Desc: 92W
    • UTQG: 500 AA A
    • one tire has a UTQG of 500aa a the other has UTQG of 280a I just bought rear tires with utqg of 240aa a
    • the higher # the longer last and harder they are. i got 240 because i want grip they will last under 5000 miles with me maybe under 3000 miles yet the ones on c320 wagon are hankook with utqg of 500aa a high speed hard rubber and will last a long time,, some high performance cars (mercedes and bmw) factory the utqg is 180 ,, they grip like hell in corners and from a dead take off on and off the track and they cost more. example you have hears people that have corvette's and bmw's complain their tires wear out all the time that is why . jim

Old 01-23-2022, 07:29 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll state again that I personally prefer All Season tires on my non-supercharged XF. When I look at this little front engine coupe with 225's in the front and 255's in the rear and consider I'm driving an automatic that has 215 HP through a conservative transmission, the stock rear tire size is downright silly overkill (but it does look very cool). For me, running high performance, soft and sticky close to slicks summer tires on a car like this is silly as that rubber just wears away more on its own than anything to do with my driving style in a very tame car like this. I personally believe a car like this benefits more from all seasons that offer more and deeper tread from the standpoint of safety. Even with all seasons on this car there's total overkill of the amount of rubber touching the road. Has anyone here ever broken the rear of this car lose running all-seasons on dry pavement under clean driving conditions? I doubt it. For those who consider these cars daily drivers and use them 3 seasons a year, running all season tires can make the difference between having the front or rear totally break lose on water or anything from wet leaves to cut grass clippings on the road.

IMHO, expensive and quick wearing high performance summer tires is a waste of $ on this car and can lead to more harm than good, even if you only drive it in the summer (as it does rain in the summer). I like the following ALL SEASON tires: Micheline Pilot Sport, Bridgestone Potenza and Goodyear Eagle. I'm running Potenza on the front now and still have Micheline in the rear but I think the next pair for the rear will be the Potenza. The Potenza on the front are doing great and in an understeer situation they don't do anything spooky other than let me know I'm pushing it a little too hard and I can feel them losing grip (despite this recirculating ball steering we're stuck with). If I pushed it too hard on wet pavement running Pilot Super Sport or most other ultra high performance summer tires in the front I'd find out about it when I hit the guard rail or went into the ditch front end first and if the rear tires let go I'd find out about when the back swung around and went into the guard rail or the ditch. For what it's worth, here are my All Season tire recommendations whether you drive year round or only in the summer... Bridgestone, Micheline and Goodyear. I think some of you may see why I'm leaning to the Potenza when it comes time to replace my rear tires. As much as I love Micheline and run them on all of my other automobiles, I'm really liking the Bridgestone Potenza on the front of this XF that is a unique animal so why not try them on the rear.

Of course, there will be those who say tread like this only belongs on a truck. Umm, I have a truck and if you think the following is truck tread you ain't seen nothin'.

Last edited by Deepsea21; 01-23-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:38 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Im running the dws06 tires on one of my bmw X5's and I really like them. I think they will do well on the crossfire. Great all weather traction, good ride and sticky to boot.

Only problem at the moment is the hankooks my stepdad put on there are like new. Hate pulling new tires off to switch just yet.

But with the hankooks poor wet weather issues I dont like them. They ride rough too but that may be tire profile more than tire compound. There isnt much sidewall there to work with ride wise.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:07 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
I see they liked the dws06's I'll be switching to at some point.
I've had the DWS 06 tires since August 2020. Still love them.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:53 AM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Tire preferences are like just about everything else on a car. Those who want this or that tire want to pay whatever they wish. If your happy with what you have, someone else will be just as happy with what they have. Oil and lubricants, same same. It's when the push-pull starts, that really seems to 'irk' those who think they know better than someone else. Oh, forgot to mention (but will fill it in here), the 'ratings' are so subjective as to make them almost moot. Manufacturers tend to 'slant' the testing to 'edge up' their tires, and people who buy/rate them know almost nothing about them except how much they pay. I say it is all good, as long as there is a DOT certification on the sidewall it is OK by me. Cheers!

Old 01-24-2022, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=Deepsea21;964784]I'll state again that I personally prefer All Season tires on my non-supercharged XF. When I look at this little front engine coupe with 225's in the front and 255's in the rear and consider I'm driving an automatic that has 215 HP through a conservative transmission, the stock rear tire size is downright silly overkill (but it does look very cool). For me, running high performance, soft and sticky close to slicks summer tires on a car like this is silly as that rubber just wears away more on its own than anything to do with my driving style in a very tame car like this. I personally believe a car like this benefits more from all seasons that offer more and deeper tread from the standpoint of safety. Even with all seasons on this car there's total overkill of the amount of rubber touching the road. Has anyone here ever broken the rear of this car lose running all-seasons on dry pavement under clean driving conditions? I doubt it. For those who consider these cars daily drivers and use them 3 seasons a year, running all season tires can make the difference between having the front or rear totally break lose on water or anything from wet leaves to cut grass clippings on the road.

IMHO, expensive and quick wearing high performance summer tires is a waste of $ on this car and can lead to more harm than good, even if you only drive it in the summer (as it does rain in the summer). I like the following ALL SEASON tires: Micheline Pilot Sport, Bridgestone Potenza and Goodyear Eagle. I'm running Potenza on the front now and still have Micheline in the rear but I think the next pair for the rear will be the Potenza. The Potenza on the front are doing great and in an understeer situation they don't do anything spooky other than let me know I'm pushing it a little too hard and I can feel them losing grip (despite this recirculating ball steering we're stuck with). If I pushed it too hard on wet pavement running Pilot Super Sport or most other ultra high performance summer tires in the front I'd find out about it when I hit the guard rail or went into the ditch front end first and if the rear tires let go I'd find out about when the back swung around and went into the guard rail or the ditch. For what it's worth, here are my All Season tire recommendations whether you drive year round or only in the summer... Bridgestone, Micheline and Goodyear. I think some of you may see why I'm leaning to the Potenza when it comes time to replace my rear tires. As much as I love Micheline and run them on all of my other automobiles, I'm really liking the Bridgestone Potenza on the front of this XF that is a unique animal so why not try them on the rear.

Of course, there will be those who say tread like this only belongs on a truck. Umm, I have a truck and if you think the following is truck tread you ain't seen nothin'. quote

I didn't know u said it the first time what i am showing members that summer, winter, drag radials or all season tires ,, the higher the UTQG number the longer the tire will last.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

Tire preferences are like just about everything else on a car. Those who want this or that tire want to pay whatever they wish. If your happy with what you have, someone else will be just as happy with what they have. Oil and lubricants, same same. It's when the push-pull starts, that really seems to 'irk' those who think they know better than someone else. Oh, forgot to mention (but will fill it in here), the 'ratings' are so subjective as to make them almost moot. Manufacturers tend to 'slant' the testing to 'edge up' their tires, and people who buy/rate them know almost nothing about them except how much they pay. I say it is all good, as long as there is a DOT certification on the sidewall it is OK by me. Cheers!

thank you GraphiteGhost that was what i was saying ,, jim

Old 01-25-2022, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
thank you GraphiteGhost that was what i was saying ,, jim

Anytime Jim.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeO
.......shopping for tires led me to this article and I thought some could find this useful, or a place to start.

Some categories wouldn’t apply...like winter driving, braking&hydroplaning (which are not pluses for Crossfires anyway)

just had the Continentals installed on the '06 Coupe Limited that I'll be taking home from Phoenix to Charleston. The tires look great on the XF.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:15 PM

just had the Continental DWS06s installed on the '06 Coupe Limited that I'll be taking home from Phoenix to Charleston. The tires look great on the XF.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:17 PM

Just had the Continental DWS06s installed on the '06 Coupe Limited that I'll be taking home from Phoenix to Charleston. The tires look great on the XF.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Consumer Report on Tires dec2021

Originally Posted by abergero
Good morning JoeO -a few thoughts to consider,
My mistake #1 - bought summer ultra performance tires, on my ‘05 (Bridgestone Pole Position). So depending where you live (I’m in San Francisco Bay Area), ambient temperature turned out to be an issue. According to Bridgestone, they don’t recommend driving the car bellow 45f or so, we, it gets below that here - so those were not ideal in my case.

When new tires went on the ‘04, I selected Michelin Pilot Sport AS ultra performance tires, and they’re great. No temperature concerns, really quiet, and with tons of grip! Tread rating was higher than the Bridgestones, with A/AA traction and temperature ratings. With the XF’s staggered tire size, rotation is NOT an option, so I suggest sticking to major tire series as you may purchase two tires at a time.

some pics: you can see the tire pattern diff between both tires. Let me know if I can add anything else, and welcome to the forum!,,

Hi, I agree that the Michelin's A/S are a great choice for our cars, many of my friends have them on their Porsches, G37/s and others. When i took ownership of my XF the owner had Bridgestone's Potenza summer tires and oh boy, they wore out so quick. I went with continentals extreme contact and have been superb whether I have traveled from the Bay Area to Tahoe's light ice and snow. Where in the Bay are you? I'm in the San Mateo area.

The following users liked this post:
abergero (01-28-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 12:14 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't recommend anything but summer tires on a SRT6 -- its hard to get the power down on all seasons without lots of wheel spin. For a NA Crossfire, all seasons are fine.

My SRT6 came with Michelin A/S 3+ and while they are a decent tire; I do a lot high performance driving (track and autocross) and they definitely do not fit the bill. I highly recommend ultra high performance summer tires for the SRT6, and ideally more meat (wider).

Also, you can rotate the Crossfire's tires, it just requires dismounting and flipping the tires. That works fine on directional tires (as flipping them will reverse the direction for the sides so they still point in the right way when mounted), but it will not work on tires that have a specific "outside."

Last edited by waxhell; 02-10-2022 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:44 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by waxhell
I don't recommend anything but summer tires on a SRT6 -- its hard to get the power down on all seasons without lots of wheel spin. For a NA Crossfire, all seasons are fine.

My SRT6 came with Michelin A/S 3+ and while they are a decent tire; I do a lot high performance driving (track and autocross) and they definitely do not fit the bill. I highly recommend ultra high performance summer tires for the SRT6, and ideally more meat (wider).

Also, you can rotate the Crossfire's tires, it just requires dismounting and flipping the tires. That works fine on directional tires (as flipping them will reverse the direction for the sides so they still point in the right way when mounted), but it will not work on tires that have a specific "outside."
It is OK for you in CA, but up north here the tires you recommend are only good for the warm months, from the end of September to the end of April they are useless as they are too hard.I put my car away as soon as the road temperature is too cold. I run summer tires now but will get all seasons next time that could get me six extra weeks of driving a year, not that I drive it much anyway.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts

April 2022 Consumer Report says.............. Real Value is measured by :
* overall performance
* predicted tread life
* and sticker

..........anyone care to voice an opinion or experience with any of these based on “real value”, or strictly performance ??

I

Old 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM

As long as they have a DOT certification, I go for a budget priced section of the spectrum. Name brands have a premium for advertising (and) word of mouth bragging/boasting.