View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Midlife
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Owner - Apparent Midlife Crises

Hey Folks:

I haven't had very good karma when it comes to tires on this thing. I dearly love the car but... I have replaced the two passenger side tires twice and patched a nail hole in the driver's side rear. It's cost me a bundle and I have not even changed the oil yet. I did finally get a full replacement road hazard warranty from Discount Tires on all four tires when I bought the last rear tire. I should have had sense enough to have done that long ago.

You'd think I drove off-road or something. It's just been a string of bad luck incidents. The last two rear tire problems were large roofing nails - likely from the construction I drive past in Highland Park every morning on the way to campus. The front tire damage was from a city-tiddy I never saw. Hit the danged thing at a good clip while moving into a turn lane. That put a nice bubble on the tire.

I bought two tires for the really great folks at the Tire Rack. I can't say enough good about them. The last tire I got from Discount Tire. They matched the Rack's price and got me the warranty. The big difference is I get Tire Rack tires in 1 1/2 days - Discount Tire took about a week.

Somehow I have learned to laugh about it. It's gotten to be like buying gas.

I do have AAA now. However, they can't do too much either from what I understand. They are more likely to tow me than DC ever would be. I have a nice tire plug kit I made with all the good stuff including a pair of worn out work gloves.

I try not to think about driving it long distances. I drove it all the way home from Chicago. I have taken it to Galveston and plan to visit family out in West Texas this Fall. That's about a 4.5 hour drive to nowheresville.

I joke about the mid-life crisis thing. I had friends ribbing me about it. Luckily I ditched the ol' Ball-n-Chain 15 years ago. You're right though - it is a myth. I bought the car because 1) I could afford it - paying less than I did for my PT Cruiser 2) It's hot! and the most fun thing I have ever driven and 3) It's beautiful! I flipped over the first one I saw years ago and lusted for it ever since.

The Chrysler does fill that place from my teen years when I was car crazy and wanted a good-looking sports car. What's better here is the styling is more "me" than a Barracuda, GTO or Mustang.

Granted it has limited me in what I can do and carry but not much. It is also slightly more needy than other cars I have had. I knew it would be and I enjoy tending to its needs. It's a labour of love.
Here's some fun I have had with iMovie: Short Movie

Last edited by Midlife; 10-01-2006 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added URL