Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New Owner - Apparent Midlife Crises

Old 05-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Apparent Midlife Crises

I took delivery on a new red ’05 Limited coupe last Friday at Centennial Chrysler in Countryside, IL. They're nice folks. They had the car I wanted for a great price so I flew up from Dallas and drove the car back. They even paid the airfare.

A friend flew into St. Louis to help me drive back. We took the scenic route through the Ozarks to I-30 and on into Dallas.

We had a very nice drive until changing lanes after passing a car 30 miles east of Dallas. I hit a short piece of channel iron in the center of the road. When I stopped in Royse City to show a friend the car I found the right rear tire flat. It had a V-shaped cut on the inner sidewall. Oy!

I called DC Roadside Assistance but got nowhere. I was so pissed at their attitude. I put the car on the jack and had someone from Dallas drive out and pick us up. I'm glad I was at a friend's house. The next day I bought a new tire at the local Chrysler dealer – took it back out and mounted the wheel and came home. A $400 ending to an otherwise great trip home.

So far the car is a delight to drive. I even got 28 mpg on the trip one of fill up. That’s not bad considering the break-in period.

The forum has been a big help to me before I bought and after. It’s a great resource. Now I have to do battle with DC over the nasty roadside assistance operator and possibly the luggage deal. The car has a peculiar history even though it only had 11 miles on it when I picked it up. I worry that DC may hedge on the luggage.

There are a couple of images in my gallery. Check it out. If you’re in NE Dallas message me. It might be fun to meet other owners.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New Owner - Apparent Midlife Crises

Welcome to this forum and I hope you'll love your new ride!

Just wondering why you have to buy your crossfire in Illinois when there's a big crossfire sale in Texas?

Right now I'm contemplating of trading mine for an SRT-6 (lots of them in Bonham) for $28k if they'll give me a good trade in.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Forum Regular

I couldn't find anything I liked. I did get $7.500 off list. I have since found one for less but not much. I can't look back now.

I highly recommend the folks in Bonham. I have bought 2 cars from them. They are wonderful to deal with and have an excellent service department. However, their internet sales woman is not much of a go getter. I was not impressed with her. If you buy from them say hi to Jade in finance. He's a relative of a friend up there. Nice young man. He sold me my 1st year PT Cruiser.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Forum Regular

What was the problem with Chrysler roadside assist?

Old 05-07-2006, 09:00 AM

The flat tire issue is always a pain...I bet it has a lot to do with poor sales...

Have a great time and good luck with your new ride...Congrats!

Old 05-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Forum Regular

The operator simply said that they "didn't do tires on Crossfires." I said Pardon? She told me that she would send a tow truck out at my expense. I suggested that she not do that - that I would handle it. She was curt and not helpful at all. Certainly not sympathetic. Thank God I was not out on the interstate dead in the water.

The roadside assistance documentation is contradictory on this in my view. Oh well... I will get it straightened out.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new red crossfire. I have to tell you that when I purchased my new Crossfire and my neighbor saw it, he yelled over "Hey Fritz...Midlife crisis?" He then went out and purchased a new Chevy HHR (now that would be a crisis IMO).
The Roadside Assistance Program should have taken care of you with this problem. I would bring out the big guns because they treated you badly. Thanks for posting this on the forum. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure DC Roadside does not cover tire problems, but that does not excuse their call center attitude. If you had said that you had a flat and went to use the "fix-a-flat" pump in the rear and it didn't operate, then they would have covered it because that would be considered a failure of a mechanical part of the car.

Welcome to the forum and watch out for those roadside hazards.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 PM

I thought the reason Crossfires get the roadside assistance is due to lack of spare tire? How oxymoron is this that they don't handle the tires? What good is roadside assistance when you have to pay for towing? I love the crossfire, hate Chrysler for the way they handle the crossfire customers.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:17 PM

"I highly recommend the folks in Bonham. I have bought 2 cars from them. They are wonderful to deal with and have an excellent service department. However, their internet sales woman is not much of a go getter. I was not impressed with her."

I don't know how they sell cars at this place! Before I bought my car used, I got in contact with them. They had a 2005 with less than 3K miles on it. Price was great. I couldn't get a deal straight with them. I was trying to do the deal long distance and had to BEG for a returned phone call. Was put off one time because they had a Christmas party to go to! WTF? The kicker was when I told them I had my financing already and what I could finance. They went to the old "We'll write up the deal to what you finance." Ahh, that's more than the car was advertised for? Sorry guys! I bought elsewhere...

Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 AM

I ran over an obstacle that punctured both the tire and the rim shortly after I purchased my car in December 2003. A flatbed was provided to bring my car to the dealership at no charge. It took a week to find a tire and rim and it was a $1,200 lesson that taught me that taking the car out of town could be problem. I still own and enjoy the car but the lack of a spare is always a concern and limits my driving to the Dallas metroplex area. I could see how easy it would be to get stranded.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife
The operator simply said that they "didn't do tires on Crossfires." I said Pardon? She told me that she would send a tow truck out at my expense. I suggested that she not do that - that I would handle it. She was curt and not helpful at all. Certainly not sympathetic. Thank God I was not out on the interstate dead in the water.

The roadside assistance documentation is contradictory on this in my view. Oh well... I will get it straightened out.
Where did this end up? Do they cover tires or do I need to renew AAA?

Old 09-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Enjoy the car.

And for the record there is no such thing as a mid life crisis. Just men who are buying what they couldn't buy because when they are younger they didn't have the money or where nagged to death by some hag.

Mid life crisis is something created by women to keep men in check. Gee, women don't seem to have a mid life crisis when they want that ring, or shoes, or even a car. Only men. LOL BS.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Folks:

I haven't had very good karma when it comes to tires on this thing. I dearly love the car but... I have replaced the two passenger side tires twice and patched a nail hole in the driver's side rear. It's cost me a bundle and I have not even changed the oil yet. I did finally get a full replacement road hazard warranty from Discount Tires on all four tires when I bought the last rear tire. I should have had sense enough to have done that long ago.

You'd think I drove off-road or something. It's just been a string of bad luck incidents. The last two rear tire problems were large roofing nails - likely from the construction I drive past in Highland Park every morning on the way to campus. The front tire damage was from a city-tiddy I never saw. Hit the danged thing at a good clip while moving into a turn lane. That put a nice bubble on the tire.

I bought two tires for the really great folks at the Tire Rack. I can't say enough good about them. The last tire I got from Discount Tire. They matched the Rack's price and got me the warranty. The big difference is I get Tire Rack tires in 1 1/2 days - Discount Tire took about a week.

Somehow I have learned to laugh about it. It's gotten to be like buying gas.

I do have AAA now. However, they can't do too much either from what I understand. They are more likely to tow me than DC ever would be. I have a nice tire plug kit I made with all the good stuff including a pair of worn out work gloves.

I try not to think about driving it long distances. I drove it all the way home from Chicago. I have taken it to Galveston and plan to visit family out in West Texas this Fall. That's about a 4.5 hour drive to nowheresville.

I joke about the mid-life crisis thing. I had friends ribbing me about it. Luckily I ditched the ol' Ball-n-Chain 15 years ago. You're right though - it is a myth. I bought the car because 1) I could afford it - paying less than I did for my PT Cruiser 2) It's hot! and the most fun thing I have ever driven and 3) It's beautiful! I flipped over the first one I saw years ago and lusted for it ever since.

The Chrysler does fill that place from my teen years when I was car crazy and wanted a good-looking sports car. What's better here is the styling is more "me" than a Barracuda, GTO or Mustang.

Granted it has limited me in what I can do and carry but not much. It is also slightly more needy than other cars I have had. I knew it would be and I enjoy tending to its needs. It's a labour of love.
Here's some fun I have had with iMovie: Short Movie

Last edited by Midlife; 10-01-2006 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Added URL
Old 10-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Nicely done on the movie... good lookin Crossfire to boot...

Old 10-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure have had a string for bad luck with tires. We bought our car strictly for touring and we have got about 15K mi. The biggest issue we have encountered has been rock chips, three in the windshield and about a dozen on the car. I too carry a plug kit because I would rather plug it then use the tire fit.