View Single Post
Old 12-22-2023, 10:59 PM
onehundred80
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: Pizza's Transmitter Build

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I was not going to do this, but Gary (VALK) suggested it - here is a separate thread on my Transmitter build. All the posts in the "Post Something Random" thread have been moved here and are the first seven posts in this thread.

My latest obsession. I needed something to do in the severe cold winter of north Texas (where the temperature is often below 55F in the winter).

So Im going to get back on shortwave ham radio. Bought a basket-case HR1680 receiver, all that was wrong with it was a 2uF capacitor in the audio board.
Here it is, perking along, 45 years after some guy built it as a kit, detecting a signal from my generator at .3 millionths of a volt. Pretty good for an eBay "sold as-is, no returns" bargain.

Now to build the transmitter... My own design, made largely from genuine new-old-stock and junk parts. This will be 1960's tube-type technology, like what I used as a teen ager.

The design of the mod driver, AM modulator, RF driver and final PA is not done - but here's what I have so far. Once I get all this going, I will proceed with the second half of the project.

55 deg in the winter? Our igloos are warmer than that.