All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Oil level question

Old 04-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil level question

So I just changed my oil for the first time... my question pertains to the oil levels on the dipstick.

This question might sound a little silly - but im just making sure all you other guys and gals out there have seen maybe the same thing.

I used an oil vac to remove the used oil from the dipstick tube , replaced with new filter and 8.5 qts of mobile 1 euro blend.

every time I check the oil levels at the appropriate times it shows above the "max" line on the dipstick measure.

ive always changed my own oil in all my vehicles and this is the only one so far that has read like this

thanks in advance

Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I always drain oil out the bottom and replace, but I think I remember people saying that when they used the vac they do not put as much oil in since it doesn't get as much oil out.

I am sure some others that vac out will chime in

Old 04-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Oil level question

1) NEVER put over eight quarts in these engines.
2) If you are using an oil extractor, keep in mind that you may or may not (not in your case, I guess) get all the oil out.

But again, I'm on Crossfire #3 and I NEVER NEVER NEVER put in more than 8 quarts - otherwise, the HIGH oil alarm goes off in sharp turns.

Now, as to the dipstick, with 8 quarts mine is near full, but not quite full. (Of course, I've not pulled the dipstick out since I bought the car....)

Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 PM

haven't had any alarms go off yet... and after I bought the car a few weeks ago before changing the oil I checked and it was at the same levels as now... just slightly above the max (almost to where the wire meets the plastic on the dipstick.

im gonna vac just a tad bit of oil out just to be safe. ive read several different views on 8 or 8.5 qt...

Old 04-13-2017, 09:52 PM

I appreciate the answers! sometimes the correct way differs from "by the book"

Old 04-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
I always drain oil out the bottom and replace, but I think I remember people saying that when they used the vac they do not put as much oil in since it doesn't get as much oil out.

I am sure some others that vac out will chime in
I use a vac pump and always add 8 litres, it is a little, maybe a 1/16" on the high side, never any problem though as the level drops after a little ride. I tilt the car to the right and give the remaining oil time to get over to the passenger side and then suck again.
Clean the dipstick, put it back and refill the oil through the filter housing. This keeps the dipstick cleaner for accurate readings. Remember the oil reading immediately after the oil filling is with the filter in a dry condition, go for a ride and the level will drop a little. I change my oil after 3,000 miles or less, but oil is cheap enough, 7,000 miles seems a lot of miles to me, that's over two years driving.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-14-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I always change the oil by draining the oil pan from underneath. And like others, I always add 8 quarts back using the oil filter housing, wiping off the oil dipstick prior to refill, and never have had an issue.

I did one time add back 8.5 quarts which is the same as the recommended 8 liters. But as reported by others, the High Oil Level alarm kept going off during the Fall ToD Weekend event that year. I did the oil change about a week prior to event. Got back home & sucked out about 1/2 quart. No more alarm!

Old 04-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

There are many posts about oil capacity. I 'topsider' the old oil out (with) tilting the car towards the dipstick. Post #5 here ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-5k-miles.html ) showed I had about an ounce left in the car. I only use 8 quarts of Mobil1 0W-40 synthetic when refilling. This indicated (on level ground) just SLIGHTLY above the full mark on the dipstick. On another note, I have read MANY posts where the oil level sensor has 'stuck'. I wonder if this is caused by too much oil being put back in the car (not in all instances)? If you 'high-side' our oil level sensor, could the sensor wind up getting stuck, causing it to fail? Has anyone taken a failed/replaced sensor apart, to see if this is possible? I would gladly take one apart (that failed) but then again, I never got a donated A/C head, to fault diagnose (way back when).

Old 04-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
There are many posts about oil capacity. I 'topsider' the old oil out (with) tilting the car towards the dipstick. Post #5 here ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-5k-miles.html ) showed I had about an ounce left in the car. I only use 8 quarts of Mobil1 0W-40 synthetic when refilling. This indicated (on level ground) just SLIGHTLY above the full mark on the dipstick. On another note, I have read MANY posts where the oil level sensor has 'stuck'. I wonder if this is caused by too much oil being put back in the car (not in all instances)? If you 'high-side' our oil level sensor, could the sensor wind up getting stuck, causing it to fail? Has anyone taken a failed/replaced sensor apart, to see if this is possible? I would gladly take one apart (that failed) but then again, I never got a donated A/C head, to fault diagnose (way back when).

well I went ahead and sucked 1/2 a quart out -
because I vac the oil out but didn't tilt
the car at all!

the few miles I drove it I never got an alarm of any kind- it was just bugging me what the forum would say so I posted the question.

My sensor might be broken (kinda like a fuel gauge sensor gets gummy or weak after old age and sticks)

regardless - back to just under full line and happy lol

thanks guys and gals