All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

10 years and now it has happened to me-rear Window

Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts
Default 10 years and now it has happened to me-rear Window

Got to my truck to go to work and found it had been broken into and riffled. They went thru everything .
However, they got nuthin because I don't have nuthin in my truck. Came in thru the rear window after forcing the little plastic "latch".

So I checked my other cars. Minivans were fine. Crossfire NA, on the driver's side, it appears they forced a hand thru it to try and reach the door lock. The rest of the window seem solid intact but it is separated on the one side.

I'm wondering if some gorilla glue will repair what some gorilla broke.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: 10 years and now it has happened to me-rear Window

I would use the same 3M adhesive recommended for repairing rear windows that fall out. Just do a search for repairing rear windows.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sux an, I'm sorry. You work hard to have nice things an some "gorilla" (I have other choice words) comes along an wants something the easy way. Too bad you couldn't have caught him an sent him away for the weekend (bout all they get). At least that way they could have gotten a "free" ride.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Gorilla glue is good stuff, but it's a pretty brittle polyurethane, so it's probably not the right thing to use for fixing a convertible top - strength is one thing, strength with toughness another entirely. (GG foams a bit in contact with the moisture that cures it, which is why some folks actually dispense it cake-decorator style from a ziplock bag squished around with few drops of water, and then a tiny bit of the corner cut off - this starts the expansion process even before you apply it. Awesome for sticking rigid things together, not so good where you need flex.)

A much better choice, IMO (but I have coupes, so what do I know), would be one of the following:

QuickGrip: I discovered this stuff a few years ago, and it's great. You can probably find it at your local Walmart, although I've found that where it is in the store can vary - hardware, crafts, or just along one of the main aisles in one Austin store... Anyway, it behaves a lot like a thinned-down Goop or ShoeGoo. I bought it hesitantly wanting Duco cement, but this stuff is better for most things, as it's considerably more flexible than Duco cement. I fixed the convertible top on my son's Mustang last year, and the repair is flexible, stuck, and looking likely to last longer than the rest of the top. (I applied a patch of black cordura on the back side of the top with this stuff.) Although not quite as strong as Goop/ShoeGoo (see below), it's much thinner, and so a lot easier to apply, especially if you have to push it around a bit.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quick-Gri...-Grab/19399961

Goop or ShoeGoo:
You can find one variety of this in all kinds of stores - Walmart, Lowes, PepBoys, etc. As far as I can tell, they're all pretty much the same "Amazing Goop" in clear - whether Plumber's Goop, Mechanic's Goop, etc. The ShoeGoo variant comes in clear or colors - the black might be handy for your convertible top. This stuff is thick, and takes over 24 hours to dry, but once set, it's incredibly strong and tough - I've potted connectors for oilfield use with it, and if out of direct UV contact, the stuff stays rubbery and stuck for decades. The ShoeGoo variant is tough enough to build up the toes of tennis shoes, if you drag your toe when you serve. As a friend of mine colorfully put it, "That stuff'll bond axle grease to owl ****!" I haven't tried, but probably, yes. You may or may not want it to repair your convertible top, but you'll want it around to repair something in the next year.

Hope one of these helps - they're what I'd try first if I had a convertible...

Old 08-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

3M Window-Weld

Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 PM

Thanx guys. I'll go with the 3M

Steve JR,
As for catching the guy he would not have gotten weekend in jail. Unless there is one at the funeral home.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 08-17-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Issues like this are why I support capital punishment. So far, no one has been able to prove to me that anyone that incurred capital punishment committed the crime again! That's what I call rehab!!!! (Note: Go easy on me with the feedback!!!!)

Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Issues like this are why I support capital punishment. So far, no one has been able to prove to me that anyone that incurred capital punishment committed the crime again! That's what I call rehab!!!! (Note: Go easy on me with the feedback!!!!)
No push back from me!! Heck I think we should bring back public hanging for capital murder.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Re: 10 years and now it has happened to me-rear Window

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Got to my truck to go to work and found it had been broken into and riffled. They went thru everything .
However, they got nuthin because I don't have nuthin in my truck. Came in thru the rear window after forcing the little plastic "latch".

So I checked my other cars. Minivans were fine. Crossfire NA, on the driver's side, it appears they forced a hand thru it to try and reach the door lock. The rest of the window seem solid intact but it is separated on the one side.

Sorry to read about your misfortune. Any chance of insurance help? (either car or homeowners ins.?)

Old 08-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Maybe it was coming loose already, a knife on the canvas would be the best way to get at the inside door lock.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Maybe it was coming loose already, a knife on the canvas would be the best way to get at the inside door lock.

Sure but what if they didn't have a knife?

It was fine the day before.

Anything is possible but, given that the truck was broken into, your idea would be a coincidence. And it doesn't explain the opening about the size of a forearm, just on the driver's side. either way I hope 3M will fix it.

Haven't had time lately. Work is booming. For the last 6-8 years we have been working 60 hours a week to keep the lights on. Now we are working 60 hours a week to keep up with orders. Bewteen this,Tires and a few other issues on the NA,( Crumpy won't drive a stick) I think we will be coming to the Dragon in the SRT ragtop. And we will likely leave Sunday morning to get back to work on Monday.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-01-2017 at 04:18 PM.