All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

PO410 explained, had made my own problem

Old 09-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking PO410 explained, had made my own problem

I had posted how I found the RCM relay for my air pump vaporized and the contact was gone because it was under rated. Well today I metered the pump with my 30 a meter and with the engine running, the reading was BING, the needle buried itself on the HIGH side, well in excess of 30 a as I had predicted in my last posting, On the video I had not metered the pump current yet, to find it was 30++ amps! WOW

94 miles after replacing the relay I got another PO410 codes and the settings had not reset on the computer so I could not get an inspection for emissions !!!!!!!!!!!! AAArgue !

Decided to pull the “ I CALL THEM SMOG POTS “ to see whats up. Found by sucking on a hose that the pots do not pass the air to the exhaust until the vacuum is greater than 10” of mercury. I reassembled the pots and metered the engine vacuum applied. ZILCH NADA nothing, I had no vacuum and that was not opening them, that is why I got the intermittant PO410s.

In checking I found that during my inter-cooler upgrade, all the hoses were off everything and the vacuum check valve WAS REVERSED ACCIDENTLY. By measuring the vacuum at the vacuum pot I was able to see why they were not opening, EVEN THOUGH THEY SOUNDED CORRECT ON START UP that shift in the engine sound at idle after about 30 -45 seconds.

To keep your attention, rather than write it all out, I have provided UTUBE videos of my work, though they are un edited due to the camera shutting off ½ way thru the operation. Watch the videos and see if that helps.

If your getting PO410s hook a vacuum gauge up to the line on the smog pots with a tee to see that your reading about 12 – 15 inches of mercury DURING COLD start-up. If not there's a vacuum issue, hope it helps.

WDY

Beginning
Next half

Also watch

Last edited by waldig; 09-20-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: PO410 explained, had made my own problem

Freaking ,Thank you Woody! First ,for your hands on walk thru an second for the link to the pod cast. I could have searched for a month , then still not found a simpler , easier ,technique for diagnosis. Question; Are you now rethinking the upgraded relay in the RCM or do you think the 30 amp replacement is just all around a better option?

Old 09-16-2017, 12:17 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: PO410 explained, had made my own problem

I ordered up a 40 amp relay to check its size, TBD. There are double contact 80 and 100 a relays but there is a 40 amp fuse on the RCM, so the 30 amp relay is so much better than stock, Ill hold for now.

Shocker when I found no vacuum and determined the check valve was reversed BY ME............

Enjoy, Woody