All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Grundy Insurance

Old 01-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grundy Insurance

Shopping around for less expensive insurance for the Crossfire and got a very low quote from Grundy. Can any of you give me any feedback about them? I've seen them on Velocity but no practical experience.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Default Re: Grundy Insurance

Wow.
None of you use Grundy?
Maybe that tells me what I need to know.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you mention them. Number of years ago I was researching classic car insurance. I was lookiing at their program which combines daily insurance with classic car insurance. I have two daily drivers and seven classic cars. Last ticket I got was 54 years ago and no accidents in 12 years. Wife has a similar driving record and our credit rating is impeccable and we own our own home.

No reason given they refused to give me a quote.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:42 PM

I've had most all of the classic companies at one time or another. Hagerty is one that has always most impressed and my Crossfire is with them.
They give their clients a lot of latitude in how they use their vehicles.
(I've been so satisfied with them, that I've also become an agent for them serving NJ, NY and PA.... not SC though ;>)
Hope that's recommendation for you!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:37 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

I also have Hagerty for my Crossfire. I've never heard anything about claims with any of them?

Old 02-02-2018, 08:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are the advantages of having Hagerty vs conventional insurance?

Old 02-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hagerty lets you place a value for total loss.My premium is $397 yearly for a declared value of 13k.they would not insure my truck or my motorcycles.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grundy has been around for a very long time (just a fact, i have never been insured by them however). some things to ask and information to gather: what if any are the annual mileage driven restrictions.; how much "spare parts" coverage in your garage is afforded by the policy; what is their policy regarding driving the vehicle occasionally to work or a non car event type activity; if you have high limit bodily injury coverage on your daily driver policy will they write the same (matching) amount for your classic??? if you check around you will find that the major insurance carriers vary greatly in what exactly they allow and cover. they are all great until you need them for a problem, believe me. i have my collector/classic insurance through the national corvette museum insurance program (they insure more than corvettes even though i have mine (corvettes) with them also). i have found their coverages to be excellent and their customer service when you need them to be first class. i have had haggarty and sentinel in the past and fortunately never needed them for a problem.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I have Hagerty and they seem to be good at a great price. I've had one claim with my windshield getting hit with a rock. No problem getting it replaced. Also I take the option of the roadside assistance they provide, even though I have never used it. My insurance agent called Hagerty for me and told her they would not insure a Crossfire. I called them myself and they said no problem. I did have to talk to the underwriter first. Others here on the forum have had their Crossfire denied at Hagerty. Not sure why.

James

Last edited by James1549; 02-02-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vaneckert
I've had most all of the classic companies at one time or another. Hagerty is one that has always most impressed and my Crossfire is with them.
They give their clients a lot of latitude in how they use their vehicles.
(I've been so satisfied with them, that I've also become an agent for them serving NJ, NY and PA.... not SC though ;>)
Hope that's recommendation for you!
As an agent for them would you know why they balk at no garage?

I had to kick and scream to get Hagerty to $15K for a value. Then when they did say OK and gave me a price they reneged on the deal because of no garage and upped the price $300! I asked them no less than 4 times if no garage was OK since I see posted all over the forums you need to have a garage. They said no garage was fine each time until I filled out the application and paid, then they changed their mind.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 05-12-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

A garaged car is at lower risk for damage/collision/vandalism/theft than one in a driveway or on the street. I just kept adding garage doors.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
As an agent for them would you know why they balk at no garage?

I had to kick and scream to get Hagerty to $15K for a value. Then when they did say OK and gave me a price they reneged on the deal because of no garage and upped the price $300! I asked them no less than 4 times if no garage was OK since I see posted all over the forums you need to have a garage. They said no garage was fine each time until I filled out the application and paid, then they changed their mind.
Unfortunately you can't get coverage here in MA from Hagerty. The car has to be over 25 years old. I had my 87 Mustang Gt convert with them for 15 years. VERY HAPPY. But the Crossfire did not meet the 25 year threshold. I have to be extremely careful. A fender bender would /could TOTAL the car. That is the STATE calling the shots.
Bill T.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Forum Regular

I am also interested in Grundy. I have several cars and the only one I carry full coverage on is my wife's 2012 Durango (our family ride). Recently, I had to shuffle cars and the Durango was left on the street for about 5 hours. In that 5 hours, and UNINSURED driver hit the front, left quarter and caused about $4500 in damages. I have to pay my deductible ($500) but since it was fully insured, my insurance is paying for the repair. But that got me thinking ... what if that had been the Crossfire? Since I have liability only, it would be wrecked, sitting in my garage, while I came up with the funds to fix it.

The quote I got from Grundy with a $500 deductible and a declared value of $10,500, was $178/year. I think that is less than I am paying for liability only with Nationwide!!! My question is, is Grundy a good company or will they shaft you in a total loss or a uninsured loss?

Does anyone have experience with filing a claim with them?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RL67037
I am also interested in Grundy. I have several cars and the only one I carry full coverage on is my wife's 2012 Durango (our family ride). Recently, I had to shuffle cars and the Durango was left on the street for about 5 hours. In that 5 hours, and UNINSURED driver hit the front, left quarter and caused about $4500 in damages. I have to pay my deductible ($500) but since it was fully insured, my insurance is paying for the repair. But that got me thinking ... what if that had been the Crossfire? Since I have liability only, it would be wrecked, sitting in my garage, while I came up with the funds to fix it.

The quote I got from Grundy with a $500 deductible and a declared value of $10,500, was $178/year. I think that is less than I am paying for liability only with Nationwide!!! My question is, is Grundy a good company or will they shaft you in a total loss or a uninsured loss?

Does anyone have experience with filing a claim with them?
Unfortunately here in MA you can't get Grundy, Hagerty or any other company
for that matter for Agreed Value. (State Laws) Car has to be 25 years or older.
SO, goes without saying here in MA, you drive VERY cautiously. And hope
and pray.
Bill T.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Billto
Unfortunately here in MA you can't get Grundy, Hagerty or any other company
for that matter for Agreed Value. (State Laws) Car has to be 25 years or older.
SO, goes without saying here in MA, you drive VERY cautiously. And hope
and pray.
Bill T.
That sucks.

Another reason I don't like MA. But I digress, to answer the OP question no have not even heard of Grundy insurance before this thread.

Dylan

Old 09-02-2018, 04:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Grundy is an insurance broker, not an insurance company. One agent may not be as hungry as another, so one may decline where another approves.

As I recall, they place coverage with Tokio-Marine/Philadelphia Insurance Company, however the reason some of you may be getting different replies in different states for different reasons resides with that factor - and more. There are many reasons different agents/brokers may decline providing a quote having nothing to do with whether they CAN quote it or not, or you, or your sole vehicle.

Often it's just a matter of the fact brokers don't take on piece-meal business. They don't want to waste their time on your auto only. They may also want your Home, Boats, cabin in the Hamptons, contents and fine-arts collections, business, etc. Grundy ALSO does Homeowners, personal, excess liability, and boat insurance so sure, they may be looking for the auto-coverage to be a loss-leader. Ask them to quote auto only, and they may simply not be interested that day.

The above aside, many classic-auto brokers and insurers have limitations for various reasons, but the prerequisites are often similar;

-
  • Can't be your only car; you must have a primary driver, and your other vehicle can't be a motorcycle.
  • ALL drivers in the household must have good driving records and each have their own access to a car other than your classic car.
  • Age of the car (usually only accept 15 years and older - others 25 and older. They can and WILL place coverage for new cars that are often high-value or unique - think a new McLaren, 2018 Ford GT-40, Corvette ZR1/Z06, Ferrari, Maybach). Being that our Crossfires aren't quite yet 15, and not exceptionally rare yet, age will often be a denying factor at this point - though you might be able to slip a cherry SRT-6 through for approval.)
  • Limits on mileage driven,
  • Limits on when/why driven (i.e., for car shows, parades, exhibitions, pleasure drives only),
  • Fully enclosed garage required (car-cover/tarp is not sufficient protection, open auto-ports are only allowed in certain states, cities/states along the Mexican border, and often prohibited near ocean-side cities or areas where crime/high-theft is an issue)
  • Value; in many cases, anything higher than $15,000 requires an appraisal or recent purchase invoice showing that amount or higher.
  • Some will decline if the car has nitrous or after-market superchargers/blowers, if it has hydraulics for "bounding" and their extra batteries for the same.
  • Cannot be used for racing.
  • Cannot be used for any kind of commercial-use. ( Want to use it as a picture-car in a film or for promotions? Excluded. - So make sure you have a rental agreement with the film production or promotions company and they are covering it on their insurance for ANY form of damage while working the film, even if you are the person driving it during the shoot (whether for a primary car of for background only).
  • Must be registered; this is often negotiable, because many classics/antiques are trailer-queens and museum pieces only.
  • Exclude certain kind of car-exhibition events, such as "poker-runs" and timed or gum-ball rallies.

For that matter, many people don't realize their current insurance company offers specialized class-car coverage options as well. If you talk with your existing insurance agent/broker, you might be surprised to learn they can (and already do) go to the same insurance company that Grundy would place you with.

______`@)jjjj=---o

Last edited by Heli-Cal Blue; 09-02-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

The following link provides excellent info on the various insurance providers:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-cl...-car-insurance