All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Stock Head Unit - Want to fit Rear Subwoofers

Old 06-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Head Unit - Want to fit Rear Subwoofers

Hello Everybody,

Just joined this brilliant forum. I have inherited a Chrysler Crossfire 2006 Roadster or as we say in the uk convertible with 15,000 miles. I believe its the base model and not the limited. Being the base model the stock head is the two channel setup with (left and right front) and (left and right tweeters) fitted in both doors. Is it possible to fit a pair of rear subwoofer speakers behind both seats. The grilles behind the each seat is there. My question - Is the wiring already there behind the seats as its part of the wiring harness and taped up? If so what subwoofers should I use (Size, power rating and ohms)? Will the current head unit support the additional rear subwoofers how would i control them. I would like to keep the stock head unit however need more bass.

All information and advice will be welcome.

John

Old 07-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stock Head Unit - Want to fit Rear Subwoofers

Yes, it can be accomplished.

You can keep the stock headunit but you will need a separate amp to power the woofers.

There are no prewired speaker harness going to the speaker location behind the seats.

In your case, a pair of 5-1/4" or 127mm surface mounted woofers on adapter plates will work.

Last edited by MAGNATUDE; 07-13-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Stock Head Unit - Want to fit Rear Subwoofers

Originally Posted by MAGNATUDE
Yes, it can be accomplished.

1) You can keep the stock headunit but you will need a separate amp to power the woofers.

2) There are no prewired speaker harness going to the speaker location behind the seats.

3) In your case, a pair of 5-1/4" or 127mm surface mounted woofers on adapter plates will work.

1)I put a new JVC head in my SE Roadster, added rear speakers, and did not install an amp. I do agree the amp IS generally a good idea, it's just that it's not always mandatory. I used the "Front" channels to drive the door speakers and "Rear" channels to drive the back speakers.

2) No, but it was really easy to add the wires. Besides, the factory puts in no 16 wire, I used no 12.

3) I went with brackets from a wrecked car, and put in Kenwood speakers. DO NOT DO THIS, listen to MAGNATUDE, and put in surface mount speakers using the cavities for the factory speakers for them to rest in. Mary (deerhunter) in Georgia's car was outfitted like that. I will probably eventually go this route, it sounds way better.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-13-2018 at 08:37 PM.