All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Clutch pilot bearing

Old 10-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pilot bearing

I would appreciate some advice. I have a 2005 xfire and i suspect a bearing is going on my clutch as there is a squeak when in low revs. Is it possible to replace the bearings as they have stopped manufacturing the clutch in uk. Or is it a full clutch and flywheel replacement. Keen to find a solution as don't want to have to sell her.

Last edited by Salty1974; 10-07-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Clutch pilot bearing

Originally Posted by Salty1974
I would appreciate some advice. I have a 2005 xfire and i suspect a bearing is going on my clutch as there is a squeak when in low revs. Is it possible to replace the bearings as they have stopped manufacturing the clutch in uk. Or is it a full clutch and flywheel replacement. Keen to find a solution as don't want to have to sell her.
how many miles on it?
does it squeeze when driving at low revs or when engaging the clutch?
it is possible, but not done, since if the throw out bearing is shot, then while the engine and trans is seperate to go ahead and change it all, since if the bearing is gone, the clutch is not far behind.

besides the squeeze does everything seem fine ?
how long have you had it?
if had awhile does the clutch feel and shift into gear same as always ?

I looked on ebay and seen clutches from the UK

driving habits make a major difference on life of a clutch, even on Crossfires I have seen members have to change theirs at 50k miles and 240k.
I have 171k on mine atm.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:11 PM

Thanks for your reply and positive news that parts could be available in the uk. My car is 13 years old and I have owned it for 5 years. I bought it with 25,000 miles on the clock and it now has 42,000 on. The squeeze is not when changing gear but is there when in gear at very low revs. The shift from first to second has always been hard when cold but fine when warned up. The gears shift as normal no change no slipping. From researching the clutch kit i need the i think it's an luk 11-040 which is no longer available. Are there any alternatives? If so it would be really useful to know the make and model. Really appreciate any help you can give.☺

Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Try Summit Racing in the US, they ship to Great Britian, estimated total cost is $591.72 US.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...iABEgLvj_D_BwE

Old 10-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

How come we have gone from a little squeek to a complete clutch replacement? What connects the squeel to the clutch in the first place? Does it squeek with the pedal depressed or not depressed?
The thrust bearing could be wrecked but that is just one small item, without depressing the clutch there should be no squeeks from it. The pilot bearing has not failed once according to posts that I recall on here.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
How come we have gone from a little squeek to a complete clutch replacement? What connects the squeel to the clutch in the first place? Does it squeek with the pedal depressed or not depressed?
The thrust bearing could be wrecked but that is just one small item, without depressing the clutch there should be no squeeks from it. The pilot bearing has not failed once according to posts that I recall on here.
I realise this is quite a leap. The noise is coming from the gear box area and not the pulleys on the front of the engine and it definitely sounds like a bearing noise. The squeek is present when moving in gear. Depressing the clutch fields not make worse or better. It's when at really low revs ii.e. Need to change from 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Salty1974
I realise this is quite a leap. The noise is coming from the gear box area and not the pulleys on the front of the engine and it definitely sounds like a bearing noise. The squeek is present when moving in gear. Depressing the clutch fields not make worse or better. It's when at really low revs ii.e. Need to change from 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd.
just trying to get a good understanding of what kind of squeek and when and where at.
really annoying when I swear I know a noise is coming from rear passenger side, but turned out I found the problem on the drivers side.

with under 50k miles, I wouldn't think of the clutch or the throw out bearing, unless you tend to reat your foot on the clutch pedal, which will wear out the bearing. Alot of stop and go traffic and traffic jams is usually harder on the clutch, and your knee.

most of the time when I am just taking it out of gear, I don't use the clutch, just when lower rpm and the drivetrain is not in stress it slides right out, and to a stop when about at 2 - 3 mph before stop 1st gears slides right in with the clutch depressed and completly goes in 1st easy so no pop out when cold.
just different driving habits from several different transmissions, like a eaton 10 speed, when shifting you do "not" use the clutch at all.

trying to help, just trying to figure out what kind of squeak and when etc etc etc.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually had the throwout bearing (Slave Cylinder) replaced twice. If it's the slave it will drop to the floor or once it's completely gone, it will stay up and not allow you to depress it. I would drive it until it fails. It's not a big deal on the slave cylinder. You can purchase one for $42.00 on rockauto.com. I know it's no big deal, because I have a 2005 base with 208,000 miles. You will be fine. If you have to replace the clutch go with the luk not ams or buy a used off ebay. If you don't do the work yourself, you will never know what they put in. Speaking from experience.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by liljay
I actually had the throwout bearing (Slave Cylinder) replaced twice. If it's the slave it will drop to the floor or once it's completely gone, it will stay up and not allow you to depress it. I would drive it until it fails. It's not a big deal on the slave cylinder. You can purchase one for $42.00 on rockauto.com. I know it's no big deal, because I have a 2005 base with 208,000 miles. You will be fine. If you have to replace the clutch go with the luk not ams or buy a used off ebay. If you don't do the work yourself, you will never know what they put in. Speaking from experience.
Didn't you mean to say 408,000 miles ?

Old 10-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Didn't you mean to say 408,000 miles ?
Good catch he mentions 337,000 miles in November 2015. CLICK

Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Good catch he mentions 337,000 miles in November 2015. CLICK
I KNOW he has 400,000+ miles, he brought it over a couple of months back to install the OEM catback I sold him.
For that many miles, it is in remarkable condition !

Old 10-30-2018, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ala_xfire for the catch and the cat back. I really appreciate you. You are correct it's 408,000.