All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Spoiler Motor Assembly Corrosion Common Problem

Old 03-01-2021, 01:31 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Spoiler Motor Assembly Corrosion Common Problem

I purchased a used cosmetically damaged convertible trunk hatch assembly specifically to salvage the third brake light from it to have as a spare. I took it all apart this weekend and recovered other usable parts. I found significant corrosion on the spoiler motor bracket assembly. I've never had to remove the rear hatch covers on my Crossfires, and expect most members have not either. Shown below is another motor assembly listed on ebay. I just checked about 10 others on ebay and all of them had some degree of this corrosion. I believe the gears had been lubricated with a lithium grease. The plastic cover for the underside of the hatch had a long spray pattern of white material splattered on it in line with the motor gears. Grease should stop corrosion, but it can become acidic. It looks like it has gone from the usual thick consistency to oily to drip down under the bracket, and then dried up. Any thoughts on what is causing the corrosion?

I expect this is a common with the age of our cars. It's worth taking the covers off, cleaning what is left of the grease in the assembly, and applying new lithium grease. Besides reducing further corrosion the spoiler should work smoother with new grease.

The following users liked this post:
CROSSFIRERUSH (03-03-2021)