General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

remember our vets

Old 07-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remember our vets

Iwo Jima Vet Honored In 'Last Flagraiser' Memorial
Reporting
Maya Nishikawa (WCCO) The city of Richfield honored one of its war heroes on Independence Day, Corporal Charles "Chuck" Lindberg.

Lindberg was one of the original flag raisers at the battle of Iwo Jima. He passed away last year. He probably never would've expected to be the focus of so much attention. His likeness is now the anchor of a memorial to all veterans in his hometown Richfield.

Lindberg spent much of his life unrecognized for a landmark achievement, raising the first American flag at the battle of Iwo Jima, even though the replacement flag was immortalized in history. Iwo Jima veteran Burton Falk remembers when the first flag went up.

"You never heard a cheer like that in your life. They came on the PA system and said 'The stars and stripes now fly over Suribachi,'" remembered Falk.

It wasn't until later in Lindberg's life that his role at Mt. Suribachi became known. He told his story in the WCCO-TV documentary "The Last Flagraiser" and has been honored by the Marine Corps and Minnesota legislature.

Travis Gorshe designed the memorial with Lindberg in mind, though the retired Marine wanted to share the limelight.

"When I told him, he just smiled and he said 'Pease make it about all veterans, just not myself.' And I said 'we would like to use you as a focal point for it," said Gorshe.

Lindberg had a chance to see the statue before his death and give it his stamp of approval.

"Chuck was very proud that a statue of him would be done in Richfield, where he had lived for over 54 years in the same house. I am very proud of the statue in Richfield also, but I'm especially proud of Chuck. He was one of the best," said his widow, Vi Lindberg.

The Lindberg statue is just the first phase of the Honoring All Veterans Memorial. By next Memorial Day, organizers hope to start installing the plaques with veteran's names. The statue is at Veterans Memorial Park in Richfield.