General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Need help finding a part...

Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding a part...

I have been searching the web trying to find a part for something I am working on and haven't had any luck. Since we seem to have quite a few resourceful people on this forum, I figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone else has better luck.

What I am looking for is one of those buttons used in a collapsible handle/shaft. For example, I have a collapsible snow shovel in the back of my Crossfire, and to extend the handle, you push down on this little, metal button. Once it is extended, you lock it in place with that little button. I am just looking for a place to buy these button things. Any ideas? Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Need help finding a part...

Originally Posted by onefortypointsix
I have been searching the web trying to find a part for something I am working on and haven't had any luck. Since we seem to have quite a few resourceful people on this forum, I figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone else has better luck.

What I am looking for is one of those buttons used in a collapsible handle/shaft. For example, I have a collapsible snow shovel in the back of my Crossfire, and to extend the handle, you push down on this little, metal button. Once it is extended, you lock it in place with that little button. I am just looking for a place to buy these button things. Any ideas? Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!
I know what you're talking about, but I think that most of them are application-specific.

In general they are just a small piece of tempered steel or stainless steel ~ .006" to .010" thick acting as a one-ended leaf spring. The button you see/push is mounted to the loose end and projects through a hole in the two pipes. I'm pretty familiar with all sorts of parts catalogs, but haven't seen any of these.
They would be easy to fabricate.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are called spring bullets, spring plungers, bullet dowel or bullet catch . Check mcmaster.com and search bullet.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both for your replies! I really appreciate the information! I ordered my spring plungers from mcmaster.com today!