General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Alternative SOURCE of fuel, not for the sensitive

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking Alternative SOURCE of fuel, not for the sensitive

Well here we go again, I am trying something outside of the LOOP>

I have a lot of used oil what with many vehicles and I started to think, WHY am I botteling it up and GIVING it for FREE to automart or whom ever for nothing????????

I also realize that the cost of gas is $1.00 per quart or so day to day.

What if I burn it in the car, said not for the sensitive. Hear me out. My 6 pack uses oil which is a nice way to say it burns it, so what prevents me from using it as a fuel in my older cars, non performance vehicles.

So I mix a quart of oil FROM MY CARS with a like amount of gas, let it set in a jar with a big magnet for a few days and add it to the tank. My 2002 Dakota runs fine and there have been no problems or issues for the last 1500 miles.

I add 1 quart to about 20 gallons for a mixture of about 1:80. The computer milage indicator shows about .5 mpg increase, but I believe that that is due not to the oil but to the lower amount of traffic since the price of gas went up.

So instead of trucking the old oil for FREE to the store and spending time and gas on returning it, I am getting benefit from it. I get 12 mpg in the work truck and that is about 3 free miles per tank load for free.

At about 1.25% oil, it seems that there can not be a down side, Octane is not at issue and the summer driving is normal in every way. I intend to keep this study going. By the way I have tried up to 5% oil and DID NOT NOTICE any issues. At 1% I feel that there is no downside that I can see.

Doing research, the diesel community have many people doing this with good results, Gas is a derived from crude and diesel is a less volatile form of distillate than gas. Just a thought, when gas becomes expensive, more will seek alternative fuels, I just wanted to ping(no pun intended) this off of the rest of the gear heads here. Thoughts?

Enjoy, Woody

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Alternative SOURCE of fuel, not for the sensitive

Woody, what about synthetic oil? I changed the oil in the SRT's and also have a 7.3L diesel F250. Buying diesel at $4.80/gal is worse than buying premium gas!!

MikeR

Old 08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent idea Woody!

Now... for the average commute in my SRT6, I wonder...

Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Synthetic oil is a Hydrocarbon chain and thus burns and generates heat, this warms the air expands the volume and pushes the piston, TADAA.

I only use oil that I know where it came from, no antifreeze or brake fluid with water in it though, glad you liked the idea, saves the money of return and provides about .25% increase in gas milage, cause I dont buy that quart, twice.

Enjoy, Woody

Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Received 535 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
Synthetic oil is a Hydrocarbon chain and thus burns and generates heat, this warms the air expands the volume and pushes the piston, TADAA.

I only use oil that I know where it came from, no antifreeze or brake fluid with water in it though, glad you liked the idea, saves the money of return and provides about .25% increase in gas milage, cause I dont buy that quart, twice.

Enjoy, Woody
It works in 2 cycle engines so why not? Might be a problem with deposits (parafin) on the valves but the valve stems and guides would like it.

I wouldn't reccomend it in a state that checks tailpipe emisions. Seems like a lot of work but hey, every little bit helps until Senators Polosi and Reid stay home in their villas.

and..it is your oil. do what you chose.

roadster with a stick

Old 08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only concern would be for the injectors/fuel filter though w/ a ratio of roughly 80-1 I wouldn't imagine any issues as long as you'd dump a bottle of injector cleaner in there, once & awhile.