General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

drunk driver no insurance???

Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry drunk driver no insurance???

I now own a crossfire, mainly because a drunk hispanic man decided to rear end me going 50 mph, I was at a red light. Boils down to I'm in missouri, and this guy's address is in brownsville tx. I have never had to deal with anything like this, what should I do? I really can't even enjoy the crossfire, thanks to my back, from the collision. Or even think about riding my 07 zx14. Any advice is greatly appreciated. No I have never dealt with, or know any attorneys. Chris

Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: drunk driver no insurance???

That is a terrible situation, really sorry to hear about it.

I'm even more sorry to say you may well be screwed here. My wife is a Private Investigator so I've got somewhat of an inside line on this sort of thing. Obviously if he was DWI and rear ended you, he's 100% at fault so suing him is a slam dunk win for you. Winning is one thing, collecting a judgment is another thing altogether. You need to find a good PI who can do an asset search on the guy and see if he's got anything. I happen to know a very good PI who's excellent at asset searches, by the way. (yeah, yeah, shameless plug, but an initial search is quick and fairly cheap and I'd like to help if possible). Odds are the guy doesn't own anything of real value (house, land, cars, etc) so, again, collecting would be virtually impossible. Even if he does own a house, land, etc the best you could do is get a lien against said property and he wouldn't be able to sell without settling the lien.

Not a rosy picture, I know, but the a$$hole could have killed you in the wreck Fortunately he didn't. Things really could be much, much worse.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was rear ended while in my 300E MB in San Antonio, Tx at a stop light. It was a hispanic driving a small tow truck, he had been drinking. He couldn't produce a drivers license or proof of insurance. He said he was testing driving the truck and the brakes failed. I did get the license plate number. I got his name, address and phone number, all found to be false later. He then took off. I found a cop and he told me to file a report and contact my insurance company. I only carried liability on my car. I did what the cop told me and my insurance covered the damage under uninsured motorist. They then pursued the owner through the expired license plate of the truck to collect.

Last edited by Bill F; 10-08-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your situation. REALITY CHECK! The Hispanic man is illegal. he has no drivers license. He has no money. (In the USA anyway) He probably gave a false name. If he is still in jail he MAY be deported back to Mexico. If he was deported, he will be back in the USA in two weeks with a new name. If he is out of jail he has disappeared. Your Federal Govt. will do NOTHING to correct this problem. (Someone has to pick the tomatos and cut the lawn and lay your bricks.) You are screwed. You will not see a dime of your money and most likely will waste your money on an atty.
Sorry to sound so cynical, but I deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis.
This is just my guess. Maybe you'll get lucky and get justice. Probably not.
Sorry about your loss.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
Sorry about your situation. REALITY CHECK! The Hispanic man is illegal. he has no drivers license. He has no money. (In the USA anyway) He probably gave a false name. If he is still in jail he MAY be deported back to Mexico. If he was deported, he will be back in the USA in two weeks with a new name. If he is out of jail he has disappeared. Your Federal Govt. will do NOTHING to correct this problem. (Someone has to pick the tomatos and cut the lawn and lay your bricks.) You are screwed. You will not see a dime of your money and most likely will waste your money on an atty.
Sorry to sound so cynical, but I deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis.
This is just my guess. Maybe you'll get lucky and get justice. Probably not.
Sorry about your loss.
And you are in TN. Here in TX, news stories like this are nearly a daily occurance. It's sad, very sad that the feds aren't doing more about it.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07bluezx14
I now own a crossfire, mainly because a drunk hispanic man decided to rear end me going 50 mph, I was at a red light. Boils down to I'm in missouri, and this guy's address is in brownsville tx. I have never had to deal with anything like this, what should I do? I really can't even enjoy the crossfire, thanks to my back, from the collision. Or even think about riding my 07 zx14. Any advice is greatly appreciated. No I have never dealt with, or know any attorneys. Chris
Do you not have uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance??