General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

My Introduction Can Beat Up Your Introduction!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow My Introduction Can Beat Up Your Introduction!

Ok, so it's dark except for some camera flashes, then Eye of the Tiger starts real low, a spotlight comes on and 40,000 people start chanting 'Kit Fox FTMFW!!' which is weird, right? Because that's a really long chant for a room full of people, but then I come out, Eye of the Tiger gets real loud and the crowd goes wild, forgets the chant, and everybody is trying to touch my hands as I hold my arms up in sweet anticipation of victory. Then, just as the sound is deafening, I scream 'Hello Crossfire Forum!! Kit Fox is in the MF house!' Then the crowd is all like 'Sweet!', or something like that, because all I can hear is Eye of the Tiger and thunderous applause.

Now that I've livened things up abit let me get to the substance of this post. Hi guys, to start of I'm sorry to disappoint but I am not a Crossfire driver.......YET! I'm currently on a mission to sell my current car (more on that in a second) and buy a Crossfire.

I joined here in order to do some research prior to buying a Crossfire so I know what I'm buying and to start getting into the community here. Most importantly I need to figure out what to look for when buying a Crossfire.

I've gone down a long list of cars and finally settled on a top 3 of a Crossfire, an RX8 or a Audi TT. I finally ended up deciding on the Crossfire out of those. My general guidelines was: Something sporty, 2 seater (preferably), RWD or AWD (NO FWD!!!), and has to have a manual gearbox. It seems to me The Crossfire hits the nail on each one of those points.

Crossfire specific m my price range is up to $15,000 USD. No financing or any of that silly stuff either or money orders or shipping cars from Montenegro or Nigeria. I would prefer an 2005 and under 45,000 miles. Also, no grey interior and has to be leather. I doubt that an SRT-6 is possible at my price range but I dont think thats a problem for me because (1) I dont care that much for super performance and (2) as far as my sparse research has shown they come in A/T only (ewwwww). I also think that I prefer a Coupe over a Roadster.

My use for the car is going to be pretty much for 5-10 mile daily drives to work and then again back home. One more thing to keep in mind is, this car will be my daily driver year round. I also do plan on going to low and high speed auto cross events (how is head clearance with a helmet on?). I also may take the car on long road trips is there a thread with any tips on painters/blue taping the car for long hauls and track events? How are the cars on rust proof and such?

I'm not looking for great performance enhancements. Modifications I'm intrested in (please chime in on comments or ideas for these):
Brakes: I want the best brake upgrade there is for under $2,000. stainless steel brake lines, upgraded calipers, pads, and rotors. (I feel braking fast is more important then going fast)
Strut bar: Do these cars need it? In the past I found it a big differance.
High flow intake: From what I see these are dual intakes, do they feed from a single air box or are two completely independant pipes?
Automatic folding mirrors, is there a way to wire the mirrors with electrics to have the mirrors fold when the car turns off or flip of a switch?
Aero upgrades, not looking to do much at the back (not much to do really), but in the front the idea of a front lip or splitter. Brake ducting? How are the stock brakes in re: to fading at track events.

My next step is to actually read through all the stickies which will hopefully answer many of my question, if not, hopefully the search option will help additionally, and if that fails (how can search ever fail?!) I will be sure to ask an further questions here. Expect to see alot of me here and to become a regular member, especialy once I get my Crossfire. I spend most of my day at work (I'm a paralegal for a small law firm) and home online on forums (NOTFWD.com, ChicagoZ.com and many others); slightly post whorish at times but I like to try to contribute. I have been searching recently to find a thread that explains what are the most important things to look for when buying a crossfire; basically what should I inspect and ask from previous owners on the car to know what may go wrong. I looked through the TSBs and Recalls but they dont really tell me much, what breaks most often or what should I watch out for on a Coupe? (I know that the tops on SRT-6 Roadsters are iffiyish from my research). Alternators? Engine? Sludge? what? If someone can direct me to a thread like that it would be greatly apreciated.

Now, I'm not stranger to the forum scene and cars. I love all cars from and to give you a rough idea of my previous car history her you go:
1st car 2000 Hyundai Tiburon, fun car, light and easy to toss around.

2002 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L V6: Great car till the engine started sludging and the tranny slipping and dying. Hated Chrysler and vowed never to buy one again...until I found out the Crossfire is more Mercedes then Chrysler.

And my current ride, I'm trying to sell to make room for the Crossfire.
1996 Nissan 300ZX 2+0 T-Tops

Anyway, I look foreword to posting with you guys and getting some ansewrs to some of the earlier questions posed in this thread. Ooo, btw, name is Mike.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Default Re: My Introduction Can Beat Up Your Introduction!

Woooooooooh. For a minute there I thought you were the guy who wanted to trade his beatup old Sentra in on a Crossfire (even up). That must have been that other guy. What you want is found in three letters and a number. SRT-6. Save some more $$$ and then go after the golden ring. You stated you are already willing to drop another 2 grand on brakes. With that much stopping power you will need something more under the hood to make it all worth while. That's SRT-6.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Forum Regular

Haha, I'm fairly confident I dont want an SRT-6, mostly because of the whole A/T thing. I'm also not looking for that much speed, the N/A version is plenty enough for me in the performance department, I care more for stopping and cornering over acceleration and top end speed. Ooo, speaking of which, I do plan on track events, is there a speed limiter on these cars? Ewww, Sentra, FWD EWWWW FTL. Naw, I'm not specificaly looking for trades, I'd prefer to sell the car straight up and buy a Crossfire. I've been looking statewide and nationwide. I'm willing to go all across the country to find the perfect Crossfire. Fly out, pick up, and have a great breaking in session to get close to my new baby on a pleasent road trip. The car seems to make a great GT car.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! I just bought my XF a couple of months ago and LOVE it! If your searching the autotrader or other sites and find a car you may be interested in out here in LA or OC, send me a PM and I can go out and check out the car for you and call you while I'am looking at the car. Anything to take my ride out and show it off! Good luck in your search!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for your kindness and offer. If I find a car in the LA or OC area I may have to put you up for that offer. I

Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)

Originally Posted by kldiet
You stated you are already willing to drop another 2 grand on brakes.
The SRT6 already is already upgraded to the bigger AMG C32 brakes, and better suspension then the limited and base.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Welcome to the forum!!!

I'll try to hit as many of these as I can......

1. There's more headroom in a roadster than a coupe.....I'm 6'4" and have a spare inch or two above my head in the roadster.

2. These cars have very impressive brakes right out of the factory.

3. Cold Air Intakes can be bought from NeedsWings or TVT, some choose to build their own, I went with NeedsWings. I've been happy ever since!

4. I drive year-round in Detroit, very similar weather. You might want to skip the 2 grand on brake upgrades and plan on spending up to 1 grand on some all-season tires. The stock Conti's suck in the snow. I have Goodyear F1 All-Season's and love them......haven't had a problem in the snow yet!

5. The only rusting issue that's been recurrent in any way is at the bottom of the doors, under the seal. It's a pretty easy fix with some rust preventative paint and a little time.

6. These cars handle like they are on rails......I routinely take expressway on/offramps at twice their posted limits. (great fun when you have a large SUV tailgating you.....lure them in and watch them panic when they realize they can't corner like you can! )

You've found the best source of Crossfire information in the world with this forum. I'm more than sure there will be plenty of other members pointing out the things that I've forgot.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Forum Regular

Thank you apkano, I noticed you were a constant on the forum so I look to talking with you more often, last night I read nearly all the threads in the first few pages of all the forum topic sections; I learned so much already.

I know that I want to do the TVT250 upgrade for sure or at least part of it. If that is the one with the ECU tune do I have to take it to someone to do it or can I do that myself.

How much more of a difference is it between the coupe and roadster? I presume if at 6"4' if you can fit and still have extra room I should have plenty for my head and a helmet as I am only 6"0.
I looked into the overall heights and my research has shown:
Height (in.) 51.50 (coupe) 51.70 (roadster).
Front Headroom (in.) 36.90 (coupe) 37.30 (roadster)
so it doesn't seem to be to be that big of a difference, but numbers can lie and owner experiance is the best.

I think your right about the brakes, worst case scenario I might just upgrade pads and rotors. How do the stock brakes hold up to heat resistance and brake fade on HSAX track (specifically refering to either Gingerman Raceway, Autobahn Country Club, or Road America tracks).

I'm glad to see so much positive response these cars have to CAI. Only thing that amazes me is the astronomical prices of them. I realize its a dual intake setup but on my dual intake for my 300ZX it costs 100$, nearly 4 times that for the Crossfire, but you have to pay to play I guess and this isn't your crappy Nissan type car. I would like to keep the dual intake look though and I saw it is possible.

I'm also glad to see I'm not the only person who is going to be driving it year round and in the winter. As soon as I found out about the massive sized tires and the staggered setup I looked online for tire prices to see if I could afford tires (I've been known to use up tires in less then 2 months before). I am debating on weather I would need a spare set of actual wheels for the back to keep winter tires on. With the staggered setup is there a size of tires or a combination front to back that I should watch out for? I thought you cant change tire sizes with traction control on the car, that it would freak it out and constantly work. I may be wrong. Also, Would there be any improvements in braking if I were to downsize the wheels and tires?

I have seen diffusers for these cars on the rear end, are there any full underbody belly pans to make the entire bottom flat. I have found that there is one that comes under the front which you have to take out to take the oil drain bolt out, but I would like to cover up the ENTIRE underbody. Are there any aero or computational fluid dynamic pictures of the Crossfire Coupe (non-SRT) to show the air flow around the car?

Thank you for your speedy response to most of my questions. If anyone else has the answer to the rest I'd be very happy to hear. And don't worry, you can tell me all the bad things too, I'm already set on it, so unless I find out that all the engines sludge (it's not the Chrysler 2.7 engine LOL) or the 6 speed M/Ts die on you (I already found out about the faulty linkage and TSB about the rear gear), I will be getting the car.

P.S. Or if you tell me it burns up like a Fiero, but I guess with 8quarts (I think thats what I read) of oil it should be fine.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
dnr

Just buy the darn thing and be happy with it. You aint going to find a better deal on a better car.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Forum Regular

Haha, I will, for sure, only problem is I don't want to keep it on the street and I don't have the garage space...so..out with the Z in with the Crossfire

Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 PM
tal

Well it's better than mine!

Funny we were looking at the same cars.

I just got an 04 w/ 50k miles last week.

Fun car.

Prices still dropping, so good luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 517 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
Ok, so it's dark except for some camera flashes, then Eye of the Tiger starts real low, a spotlight comes on and 40,000 people start chanting 'Kit Fox FTMFW!!' which is weird, right? Because that's a really long chant for a room full of people, but then I come out, Eye of the Tiger gets real loud and the crowd goes wild, forgets the chant, and everybody is trying to touch my hands as I hold my arms up in sweet anticipation of victory. Then, just as the sound is deafening, I scream 'Hello Crossfire Forum!! Kit Fox is in the MF house!' Then the crowd is all like 'Sweet!', or something like that, because all I can hear is Eye of the Tiger and thunderous applause.
You have quite an imagination.
Certainly like no other intro on this forum
A good read though.
Welcome

Old 10-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Forum Regular

Haha, thanks, glad to hear car prices are dropping, just wish I could dump this current hunka bolts first!!GRR!! I've been trolling all day on the forums, I think I've finally done all of the sub forum topics for performance, exterior, and interior. Man, its quite the read. Let em know if anyone else can finish the rest of my questions.

Last edited by Kit Fox; 10-09-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Forum Regular

Kit fox

Great intro - best I've read on the forum, clear, consise & to the point; well written. You are doing what I did a year ago - read every roadster forum posted. I have been on the Audi forum since 97 - it doen't even come close to this one. When you finally get your Crossfire - you won't regret it, smile a ton, and get ready to be sucked into the best car forum out there.

Sorry I can't really answer any of your questions - but can tell you that my roadster is my daily driver - running on Goodyear summer tires (live in centeral VA moved here from Chicago) but would not recommend them for Chicago winters.

Just drove home from North Carolina yesterday 7.5 hours in a Crossfire - could get in the car and do it agin today. Love this car almost as much as my 97 Audi cabriolet.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Forum Regular

7.5 straight through? How is the wind noise? And do you have the stock exhaust? Sounds like an ideal GT car if your that comfy after that long of a drive.

I know its not recommended for Chicago winters, mostly due to salt, fortunately I have a garage I can wash the salt of after each drive. Also, my trip is short on a daily basis (5 miles) so I should be fine. I made it with summer tires (the K106s semi-slicks lol) on for part of winter in my 300ZX. It has an LSD so that helps plenty but anything short of flat terrain it was a messy trip. If I turn the T/C off (I've read that it doesn't truelly turn of) and I floor it on slick terrain will both wheels spin still? Same thing, if I were to theoreticaly give it a kick of the line, will both wheels spin on the dry to if it were in a burnout type situation or just one with the most traction?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Life is random...so am I.

You'll find that most parts for a Crossfire cost a considerable amount more than most other cars of the same type. Mainly due to the fact that it's basically a Mercedes, also because they are relatively low numbers of production.

I've never had a problem with the brakes, other than a LOT of dust. I've done numerous trips down the dragstrip back-to back, and driven it hard on more than one occasion on the expressways of upper michigan (way north of 100MPH). Many people switch to Rotex Gold pads to minimize dust. I don't have 'em so I have no idea on performance.

Both of the most popular CAI's (NeedsWings and TVT) are single sided, not twins. Some people have fabbed their own from parts from Spectre, but the majority still draw underhood air. In my mind that is not a true CAI. I can only speak of the NeedsWings, as that is the only one I have experience with. It draws air from behind the grill and in front of the Radiator, making it a true CAI. It works very well, improving performance as well as sound. I doubt you'll find a unhappy NeedsWings customer, Rob takes good care of his customers, and has a huge following here and in the SRT-4 world.

As far as wheels......I wanted to change mine for aftermarket, but have since decided to stick with stock. I have no idea what your normal roads are like, but here in Michigan we assign ZIP codes to our potholes. On more than one occasion I hit a pothole so hard I just knew I had a blown out tire and a cracked rim. To my surprise, I have never suffered any rim damage or tire damage. (knock on wood) Our wheels are made by Ronal...they make a very solid wheel, and aftermarket Ronal wheels sell for a pretty high dollar amount.

I think that's about it for now.....it's been a long 18 hour day and I need some sleep.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Forum Regular

Welcome to the forum!

As far as stock brakes, you'll burn them up at the high performance tracks- or at least I did my first weekend out. Stock should be OK for autocross.

I had metal brake lines made by Porterfield and also put on Porterfield racing pads. They had done well until recently when I have some grinding like sensations, so will put on another set of pads before my next race. Ouch, as those pads are $470.00. Also, use Motul 600 or Castrol STF (this may not be the correct name) brake fluid. You must have better brake pads and fluid for the road tracks like Gingerman, etc. I'm at Putnam Park in Indiana.

You may have tech issues with the roadster, as you will have to put in another roll bar. I've had no problems with my coupe. I did install a 5 point harness.

For the road tracks, things really started to happen for me when I put on Michelin ProSport Cups. They are expensive and I might get 3 days at the track, but boy do I stick.

I'm 5'10" and fit OK with my helmet, but at 6', you may want to put on a helmet and see if you fit OK. Some of my instructors were tall and fit, but just barely.

One final thing: Listen to what we are telling you. Get an SRT6. I race with the autostick and do just fine.

Good Luck with your racing endeavors. Viva Crossfire!!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:36 AM

hi, im brand new to this forum. i have no clue how to start my own thread or anything like that.. anyway i just bought my second crossfire.. i got one when they first came out and ended up losing my butt on it when the prices droped on them.. i was sitting very upside down in it.. so i got rid of it.. after waiting almost 4 years i finaly got another one at a great price... so basicly just looking to see if anyone can give some advice on some simple mods i can do to help with horsepower.. when i had my first one there was nothing out for it at all.. i will be getting some new wheels for it soon im going with the tsw sakata 5 black with polished lip.. has anyone seen these wheels on the crossfire? if so how do they look?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Forum Regular

Most of my questions have been ansewered either by you friendly chaps or by in depth research (search button, if I could I'd marry you). Here are a few leftover ones:

1. When inspecting the cars, besides the rust on the underside of the door, is there anything special I should take a look at?

2. If I change tire sizes will the T/C start freaking out?

3. Strut bar: Do these cars take well to this?

4. Automatic folding mirrors, is there a way to wire the mirrors with electrics to have the mirrors fold when the car turns off or flip of a switch?

5. Aero upgrades, not looking to do much at the back (not much to do really), but in the front the idea of a front lip or splitter.

6. Brake ducting, any write ups??

7. Alternators, it seems if anything is bound to fail its these puppies, how much does a replacement cost?

8. I have seen diffusers for these cars on the rear end, are there any full underbody belly pans to make the entire bottom flat.

9. Are there any aero or computational fluid dynamic pictures of the Crossfire Coupe (non-SRT) to show the air flow around the car?

10. Anyone can link me to a PDF or online version of the FSM and Manual? (Found the manual http://www.majormotorshotrods.com/_d...27s_Manual.pdf) FSM now?

Last edited by Kit Fox; 10-10-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dude, go with the SRT6. The N/A will be fast for a little while but the second you really try to get into it or some Jonnyangel guy lets you drive his SRT6 and after that all you can think about is holy crap I want that, go faster little car, go faster, you'll be looking for one and wish you bought one right off the bat. I'm gonna take a bath on my N/A but the SRT6 is definitely worth it. Go with it right away. The autostick in theses cars is awesome and after you get used to it, you can drive it darn near just like a manual. You won't be disappointed.

Quick Reply: My Introduction Can Beat Up Your Introduction!