General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Juice goes to jail

Old 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Juice goes to jail

Judge sentences O.J. Simpson to at least 15 years

12/05/2008 11:14:57 AM PST

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } LAS VEGAS (AP) — O.J. Simpson, who was acquitted of the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife and her friend in Los Angeles, was sentenced Friday to at least 15 years in prison in an armed robbery case.

Clark County District Court Judge Jackie Glass sentenced Simpson after saying he was arrogant and ignorant. She said the evidence against him was overwhelming.

Earlier, 61-year-old Simpson apologized and told the judge he was sorry about trying to retrieve memorabilia that he said belonged to him. He appeared ready to break down in tears during a rambling, 5-minute declaration.
"I didn't want to steal anything from anyone ... I'm sorry, sorry," he said.

Prosecutor David Roger said Simpson was the ring leader in the botched attempt to recover the items from two collectibles peddlers.

Judge Glass also ruled that Simpson cannot be freed on bail pending possible appeal.
The judge said she wanted to make clear that she did not consider Simpson's previous acquittal on murder charges in deciding his sentence.

"I'm not here to sentence Mr. Simpson for what's happened previously" in his life, she said.
Simpson's co-defendant and former golfing buddy, Clarence "C.J. Stewart, also was sentenced.
Simpson and Stewart were both brought to the courtroom in dark blue jail uniforms, their hands shackled to their waists with chains. Simpson, who had not been expected to speak, decided to deliver a statement to the judge.

As he spoke, the courtroom was hushed. His two sisters, Shirley Baker and Carmelita Durio, sat in the front row of the courtroom, along with his adult daughter.

Both men were convicted Oct. 3 of 12 criminal charges, including kidnapping and armed robbery.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Juice goes to jail

looks like he could be eligible for parol in 9 yrs...I think they were hoping for 6...but he will more than likely appeal, and I always wonder where his money comes from...he was supposed broke...these lawyers aren't cheap...

Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And so 14 years later, nearly to the day, justice is served. Gez, I guess this is going to put a crimp in his search for Nicole's killer.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

forget the search, looks like ap has some competition...nice avatar...ok, back on subject...Juice will be on vacation for awhile...look for him to out on appeal...then his parole could come even ealier than 9 yrs if he's a good boy...

Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Knowing that he's going to jail if he looses the appeal, he could be a flight risk. I wouldn't put it past this judge or any Vegas judge to deny release.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15 years for each count with a possibility of an addition 2 1/2 year ... served consecutively. he could be in jail for nearly 33 years if he doesn't behave himself.

but yeah, 9 years before parole doesn't seem like nearly a long enough time.... IMO.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
9 years before parole doesn't seem like nearly a long enough time.... IMO.

remember, it's a matter of perspective ... 9 years at your age puts you on the street in your early 30s with a lot of quality years ahead ... 9 years for OJ puts him on the street at what, 70? ... not so bright a prospect ... 9 years might even equal a life sentence for him ...

Old 12-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveS
remember, it's a matter of perspective ... 9 years at your age puts you on the street in your early 30s with a lot of quality years ahead ... 9 years for OJ puts him on the street at what, 70? ... not so bright a prospect ... 9 years might even equal a life sentence for him ...
one could only wish... you know that 90% of the people in this country that saw him get acquitted still think he's guilty, and 5% truly think he is innocent. As for the other 5%, well they have passed on since he was acquitted.

So that now means that 94.7% of the people that saw him get acquitted and are still alive today think he is guilty.

70yrs old will come too soon.

Yes, I think he is guilty of murder.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
Yes, I think he is guilty of murder.
You probably don't remember that he was very well liked and highly respected before June of '95 ... the vast majority initially thought him innocent and were convinced of his guilt by evidence in the trial ...

I was one of those who didn't believe he was guilty ... but changed my mind on the day of the first preliminary hearing by what was said by the first two witnesses ... it's far too long a story to tell here, but what convinced me was something that was never even mentioned in the trial ... the DA's office really bungled that case ... in more ways than you can imagine ...

Here's one of those ways - "if it don't fit, you must acquit" ... that's what they said after he couldn't get the glove on readily ... many skeptics thought he was play acting ... not so ... take a leather glove that fits you ... put on one of those 'doctor gloves' like they made him wear before touching the leather glove ... then try putting your leather glove on ... the DAs were FOOLS to have done that without trying it themselves ... they GAVE him that way out ... and a basic rule for attorneys is to NEVER ask a question you don't know the answer to ... or, in this case, to try putting one glove on over another ...

remind me to tell you the story of why I too believe him guilty .... it's FAR more persuasive than anything brought out at trial ... but, it'll have to be a time when I have a lot more time to write it all out

Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't believe they gave him fifteen years, he didn't even kill anybody this time.