New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

new to the xfire

Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the xfire

Hi just pick up a 04 red coupe yesterday with 28k on it. Very happy so far the only thing I notice is if I'm not careful with my throttle/clutch engagement it has/will pop out of first gear? After this happening, I have been deliberate and it hasn't happen since. The car is cherry otherwise, should I have concern about the couple of pop outs? Thanks

Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Default Re: new to the xfire

I read somewhere on here that that can be a common problem with the 2004 models. Might want to research it on here further.
Kinda makes me re-think looking into a '04 w/a manual tranny...

Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Received 903 Likes on 704 Posts

Yea, someone screwed up here. There was a TSB from Chrysler where you could get that fixed free - and it only happened with 04's.

Not sure what can be done now, but I know some here start off in 2nd anyway.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:20 PM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common problem with 04 and why I ended up getting an automatic on my 05. First to second shift is terrible in the manuals I hear.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Yes, in the 18 or so short hours of owning the car I already use 2nd if on a slight down hill or have just a small "roll" coming though a stop. Also in the same short time I feel like I've anticipated and adapted to prevent it from popping out. Truth,would I rather not have it do this what's so ever, of course! But if what I've experience is the worst of it then it certainly is no deal breaker or make it so that I couldn't enjoy the car! It just not that pervasive or bad! I have really enjoyed the car a lot so far! (Even given that's there's the novelty/new toy factor) I have had a 350z and a C5 so its even a little more validated, the fact I've owned performance cars! Now if it were to become more profound, then that would become another matter (then I guess I'd trade it for another car) by the way I was shopping for truck when I saw it there in the dealers lot and the rest as they say is history

Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM

1st to 2nd seems like a pretty clean gate to find, for me anyway. I had a RSX type s that had a really great gear box, the 350z was pretty good as was the vette, but that would be the order I would rate the gear boxes in those cars. Like I said if it does not progress I think I be happy with the car. I'll call the dealer today

Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by jward1400
Hi just pick up a 04 red coupe yesterday with 28k on it. Very happy so far the only thing I notice is if I'm not careful with my throttle/clutch engagement it has/will pop out of first gear? After this happening, I have been deliberate and it hasn't happen since. The car is cherry otherwise, should I have concern about the couple of pop outs? Thanks
I had an '04 6 speed and I had it jump out a few times. I think it jumped out because I had not put it fully in gear. A more deliberate action stopped this from happening after that.
No big deal, you just have to be more careful.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Here's another aspect to this. It was a 1 owner car, he had it for almost 9 years, if this had been a significant issue for him with the car would he have kept it for so long? I look at the car fax and did not see anything. And to be clear its not like I'm moving along and it pops out of gear, in firearms terms if I "limp wrist it" it can pop right at the engage point. It seems as long as l'm deliberate and authoritative with my throttle/clutch engagement when pulling out of first gear it won't pop. Sorry if this comes off as a rant, but I just got this car yesterday and things like this can prey on your mind if you don't make an attempt to process them.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM

Thanks 100/80!!!! You have alleviated me from my "new buyers worried mind syndrome" time to start really enjoying the car! We've had nothing but hard rain here since I got it, can't wait for the next dry day where I can cut it loose

Old 04-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Received 903 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by AlG
First to second shift is terrible in the manuals I hear.
I think when they had 300 miles on them, yes. I bought mine with 44,000 miles and it was fine all the way home from Arizona.

I'm now at 104,000 and it shifts just fine. I remember test driving one with 125,000 on it right before I bought the one I have - I said then, and still believe, that what these cars need "... is some miles on them, and they will be fine."

Since 1985, I have not had a vehicle go less than 200,000 miles and I don't see this car failing that mark, either. Of course, it IS time for fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, other filters, maybe two O2 sensors, and I'm 20,000 miles from my next radiator flush.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 AM

The car is at the dealer. At first I thought MAYBE I wasn't putting it all the way into gear or some other human error factor was involved but that was not the case. At the point of engagement sometimes, sometimes not it pops out of gear instead of grabbing like all the other manuals that I have driven since the 70s. I can defeat this by going with a little more throttle or using 2nd where applicable. The dealer called and said the tech can't get it to pop out (wow that's a surprised) so I'm going up there after work and give him a demonstration. I will write back with the outcome. I do really love this car so not to start addressing a "end game" strategy yet but if they can't clean up this issue it's going to be a tough call

Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would rather have a manual in my XFire. It is a synchro trans. I have drove a lot of manuals from a 3 speed to the 10 speed in my freightliner R.R. truck.
But with the synchro I usually shift it in first as I am slowing down around 5 mph. The popping out of gear in 1st due to it not going all the way in gear is loud and aggressive. I had it happened once within the first month I had my car.
If it will not got right in first at a stop try shifting in 3rd then 2nd then 1st. I have not had any problem shifting between any gears. With the synchro I wish we could float the gears like a truck trans.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 PM

I have put 18k miles on mine and I would rather start in 1st. I would like a 284 ring gear. Would make the manual even better and lower my rpm's @78mph

Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the build date on the drivers door. Cars that were prone to popping out of gear were mostly built in 2003 right up to December 2003. AS a 2004 model. I believe the problems were poor syncronizers.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Hey I want to thank everyone for the replies! hadn't even properly introduced myself and was already asking advice. Bottom line after driving the car with the dealerships lead transmission guy, their going to fix it. (Drop the trany) There are a whole detailed set of instructions on whats needs to be done to fix the problem from Chrysler on their TSB. (The service manager was showing me) so we will just take it from here and hope all goes well! The process Still has some way to go but so far this dealership has been pretty good,from point of sale and now agreeing to make this major fix! I'll write back when more has happen , thanks to everyone that has responded! Never borrow trouble. Imaginary things are harder to bear than real ones. RLS

Old 05-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Well after a week at the dealers I now have the car back! They over hauled the manual trans (new sycrows, new first and second gear) they also fixed the heated seats and key fob. They did not fix the the tire pressure indicator (it's on and all tires are at right pressure) this would/could be expensive fix and I figured I'd cut them a break considering how much they ate to fix the rest. Their sheet read - $1700 for the trans, $400 for the heated seat and $250 for the key fob. I drove it a good bit last night after picking it up and no pop out, it seems the problem is fixed. So if I can get a couple of good reliable years out of this car (which I should) I'll walk away feeling like "for what I paid, for what I got" this was a great deal! When compared to other cars that I was looking at, 350z, slk320, s2000, 128i. One owner, low miles, (28k) very clean inside and out, breaks and tires almost new. I could not find the other cars mention in the same ballpark in the totality of the deal. ($11700 +tax) so no car is perfect but if the cost to own and DRIVE is basically front line consumables for the near future I will be very pleased. Thanks for the help to everyone and I will try to contribute to the forum in the future. Now to address that dam cup holder lol. Jerry-

Old 05-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Forum Regular

Glad its working out for you.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jerry that's a great ending to the story. I hazard to guess not many "Franco American" Chrysler dealers would have been so accommodating. I think I'd give them a big "Shout Out" by name, because it sounds like they deserve it for doing the right thing.
By the way, did you ever check the build date on your door? Just curious.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Glad everything worked out. Now you can enjoy your car

Old 05-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 553 Likes on 438 Posts

How 'bout some pictures of your new ride!

Quick Reply: new to the xfire