New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New guy

Old 08-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy

Hello Guys,

Just thought I'd pop my head in and say I am the new guy. Just about to buy a crossfire from my local garage for my missus. Was just wondering if anybody had any tips for things to look for when buying. She lives these cars and has recently got a new job closer to home so we are treating her with a little sports car toy. I have a Chrysler 300c so we are big Chrysler fans.

Anyone got any tips for what to examine before purchase? Any common faults I can look for?

I have already seen there is a bit if a common fault with a seal in the engine. Can't remember what it's called. It looks as this one I have seen has it as there is a small amount if engine oil leak. I have been told he will fix it prior to test drive and I will pay the AA to come and inspect. Anything else?

Thanks

Pete

Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Default Re: New guy

Sorry. Spelling is atrocious on my phone. Fat fingers, small phone. Not a good mix

Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 AM
Forum Regular

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Without knowing much about the car you are looking for, it's hard to advise you. You should look at the headliner, making sure it's tidy, but it isn't a deal breaker if it's not, but it may help in your negotiations. If you have a mechanic friend or a good shop nearby, you could have them check it out for you, compression, etc otherwise, you can do the common stuff. Look at all the bolts on the motor, see if they have been removed or not, it may tell you if the motor has been worked on. You can put a dollar bill at the exhaust and see if it flutters or sucks back in. You want a flutter, if it sucks it back up against the tailpipe it could indicate that you have a bad valve sucking air. Look at the tires and see how they're wearing, any alignment problems will show up in their wear. Look around all the trim to see if any overspray is on it or the rubber, it may indicate that it's been repainted or repaired. If you could have them put it up on the rack, a good visual look on the underside can tell you a lot. Check the brakes for pulling or noise. See if the car is pulling during your test drive(s). And of course a good detail inspection of everything, listening to the motor; after you make sure the radio works - turn it off, if you hear anything strange, put it in neutral and see if it goes away, that could tell you if it's in the engine/trans or the drive train. And, ask questions, every question you can think of and don't accept answers that make no sense.

Good luck,

Dave

Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 522 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by petecullenz
Hello Guys,
Just thought I'd pop my head in and say I am the new guy.
Was just wondering if anybody had any tips for things to look for when buying.

Thanks, Pete
Here ya go Pete
Welcome

Helpful Info for those looking to purchase a Crossfire

Old 08-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One place to check for rust on these cars are the bottom of the doors. You have to pull the rubber seal off to check for rust on the metal flange that holds the rubber on. One thing I insist on when buying a used vehicle is that put the car on the lift and let me inspect underneath for damage, leaks, rust or anything else that might look out of place. I have only had two places refuse siting insurance liability and, I walked away from both. Another thing I do before taking delivery is to go over every system right down to the light bulbs, turn signals, brake lights, back up lights, wipers, radio/cd player, door locks, convertible top operation, door latches, headliner, power seat operation rear window defroster, you get the point. I also insist on fresh oil. I know there are others that escape me right now

Old 08-04-2014, 11:39 AM

Thanks for all your help and advice guys.

This one I'm looking at has a slight leak in the 'rocker covers' according to the garage owner. He has offered to fix them. Is this a major job? Is it fixable and will it ever go again? There was a slight leak of oil on the engine that was coming from the top. Is this the right place for rocker cover. Would anyone advise not to touch it?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for all your help and advice guys.

This one I'm looking at has a slight leak in the 'rocker covers' according to the garage owner. He has offered to fix them. Is this a major job? Is it fixable and will it ever go again? There was a slight leak of oil on the engine that was coming from the top. Is this the right place for rocker cover. Would anyone advise not to touch it?
Common issue on this engine, easily remedied, but a bit time consuming ( to do it right ) and messy. Low cost - tube of good RTV silicone sealant.
Here's the DIY : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...over-leak.html

Once sealed correctly, usually good for several years.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM

We are the proud owners of a 2006 (56 plate) Crossfire. 59,000 on the clock. Mint condition. Absolutely made up. Got it at a steal because the garage couldn't sell it for a year. Rocker seals replaced, service, MOT and a dam good clean.

The only down fall in the car is that it doesn't have HID lights? It's only got projectors filliment bulbs. Has anyone do e a conversion or can you buy the clusters with HID already set up?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum! My speeling can be gawd awful two!

Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 PM

Predictive txt. I do apologise..!!! What about these HID's then guys? Anyone?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM

We are the proud owners of a 2006 (56 plate) Crossfire. 59,000 on the clock. Mint condition. Absolutely made up. Got it at a steal because the garage couldn't sell it for a year. Rocker seals replaced, service, MOT and a dam good clean.

The only down fall in the car is that it doesn't have HID lights? It's only got projectors filliment bulbs. Has anyone do e a conversion or can you buy the clusters with HID already set up?
HID's are easy to install in the low beams, they are not recommended for high beams due to the 2-3 second delay required to reach full brightness.
You will want a H7 kit, there are many low cost ones available, and a few modest and high cost ones.
Most agree that the Morimoto kit is the best bang for the buck ( from The Retrofit Source Inc ).

It is a hassle, but the kits are MUCH easier to install if you remove the units, with the added benefit of being able to mount the ballasts under the units.

( You can also install a 9006 kit in the fog lights )

Old 08-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the link.

So with the English MOT laws stating all HID equipped vehicles must have a self levelling device fitted on the head lights, would this not make the car illegal or does the Crossfire already have a self level on the headlights?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Predictive txt. I do apologise..!!! What about these HID's then guys? Anyone?
Might as well get the best for the price...Morimoto Elite 3Five H7 w/ Canbus harness. Fantastic set that's been well tested on our cars and a 5 year warranty to boot!

H7: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

Edit: Alax beat me to it!

So with the English MOT laws stating all HID equipped vehicles must have a self levelling device fitted on the head lights, would this not make the car illegal or does the Crossfire already have a self level on the headlights?
You might want to inquire on the U.K. sub-forum under the Regional forums. Guys like Doc may be able to answer that correctly.

Last edited by syfi; 08-06-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the link.

From what I've read, you should have that feature on the European models.
( I don't know about "self leveling", but you should be able to adjust them from the cockpit )

Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 AM
Received 553 Likes on 438 Posts

Welcome to the forum. As you've already found out, lots of great experience among existing owners regarding just about anything you need to know about maintaining and/or "modding" your Crossfire.

Enjoy,

Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 AM

Right,

Pick up the car later today hopefully.

One thing in have realised is that there is no cup holder. I have seen the problems that people have had with the OEM cup holder so what have people done instead of the OEM holder? Any links to the solution?

Anyone have any good site suggestions for mods? I have a 300c so I'm well adversed on mods and know a few good sites for the 300 but can't find many for the Crossfire. Preferably UK sites and at a push US or other sites that ship to the UK.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 AM

take a look at : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post725441

I did the same thing as James, works great.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing in have realised is that there is no cup holder. I have seen the problems that people have had with the OEM cup holder so what have people done instead of the OEM holder? Any links to the solution?
Here's my thread on some solutions I found....

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...up-holder.html