New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

"New" Car, New Member

Old 09-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "New" Car, New Member

I just picked up my white 2005 Limited roadster Saturday evening: 6 speed, 73k miles. I've got a few things to sort out before I can get it on the road. The back tires were bald, so I have a new pair on the way from the Tire Rack: Hankook Ventus S1 Noble's.

The mirror switch was broken, but I scored a replacement in the junkyard for $20 today. Now I gotta figure out how to get the console apart to get it in.

The yard threw in an extra key fob, too. My key remote buttons don't work. New batteries didn't bring it to life. I tried to reprogram it too using the method in the manual. Still didn't work. I found an online procedure that says you put the key in the ignition first. That didn't work either. Tried it with the junkyard key, too by putting the original key in the ignition, but punching the buttons on the junkyard remote. That didn't work either. So I wonder whether I have two bad remotes, or could there be a problem with the receiver in the car?

I also need a front license plate bracket, too, since the car came from NC via SC & FL. Apparently you have to drill the front bumper to install a front bracket? So says my local Chrysler parts dealer, although he really wasn't sure.

Lastly, the right rear taillight is broken, so I'm on the prowl for a replacement. It might not pass inspection that way, so I'm thinking I need it right away to get the car on the road.

Anyways, I'm tickled to have the car, and looking forward to getting it on the road in time for viewing fall colors in a beautiful blur.

Thomas

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Grats on your purchase.
The fob from the scrap yard will not work unless it is programmed by mercedes.
I seen somewhere a video on repairing your original fob. Check youtube.
To get console apart you have to take the radio out first, need mercedes radio keys.
Tires on our car are important, I run rain tires, Falken's on front and G-Max's on rear and like this combo. I have burned through summito's and Goodyear f1's
Since you are in nc/SC area you should join the crossfire group for the dragon run in fontana.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Default Re: "New" Car, New Member

I've been reading carefully about remotes. I understand that I need the transponder to make the car start. But how close does it have to be to the ignition switch? Does it have to be IN the switch? Or can it just be in the car, like my friend's 2013 Jeep? If the latter, then shouldn't I be able to get the junkyard fob to "re-program" to open the doors if I have both fobs in the car, with the original fob in the ignition switch?

Bet nobody's ever tried this...?

Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Needs to be in ignition. Since you have one working mercedes can reprogram the other fob easier and cheaper then if you went to buy a new key from them

Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Needs to be in ignition. Since you have one working mercedes can reprogram the other fob easier and cheaper then if you went to buy a new key from them

Others may chime in, but from everything I've read before used Crossfire key fobs cannot be reprogrammed for another Crossfire. The coded security chip in the fob will only work with the car it was set up for.

Last edited by Toolman; 09-16-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the attempt, Toolman & Speedy4x4, but you haven't really addressed the question I've posed, have you? I'm asking HOW CLOSE the fob has to be to the ignition switch to work. I realize that you need a fob programmed to work with that car to turn the car on. And undoubtedly I do have such a fob, because I can start and drive my car.

What I'm really driving at is whether I should attempt to take both fobs apart and transplant everything from the junkyard fob EXCEPT the transponder. Or would that be a waste of time? It would definitely be a waste of time if I knew the junkyard fob was dead. But does the transponder talk to the circuit board in such a way that the transponder won't work if the circuit board isn't programmed to match?

And one of the questions I'm trying to nail down is why my original remote won't unlock the doors. I installed new batteries. I used the factory service manual procedure to "reprogram" it. And still the buttons don't work. I'd like to confirm that it's actually the remote that's the problem, and not something else wrong with the car (like a bad receiver? can that happen?) before I spend money on a new fob. Or two.

Thomas

Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Needs to be in ignition.
Said it once but I can say it again. Needs to be in ignition.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Then why won't my original remote unlock the doors?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 553 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by tleed

The yard threw in an extra key fob, too. My key remote buttons don't work. New batteries didn't bring it to life. I tried to reprogram it too using the method in the manual. Still didn't work. I found an online procedure that says you put the key in the ignition first. That didn't work either. Tried it with the junkyard key, too by putting the original key in the ignition, but punching the buttons on the junkyard remote. That didn't work either. So I wonder whether I have two bad remotes, or could there be a problem with the receiver in the car?

Thomas
You might want to look at this thread:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...unctional.html

Possibility exists that water has gotten into your trunk somehow & ruined this module.

Later,

Old 09-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by tleed
Then why won't my original remote unlock the doors?
I have my spare remote that worked fine last week.
Last weekend I changed the case and it will unlock the doors but will not start the car now. Just opposite of yours.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM

When I was swapping out my key case I wanted to see how close the transponder had to be and for it to work with the new case it had to be within 1 inch of the key hole to work on my car.