New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

XF Tom's Daughter in Houston, Texas

Old 01-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF Tom's Daughter in Houston, Texas

My father, XF Tom, died last month and I have inherited his 2008 blue Crossfire. I have opted to use his account, but I changed the email to my own so that I can see any replies.

I drove the low-mileage car home and, once I found the cup holder and mastered the lights and turn signal control, I quite enjoyed myself! I know that he enjoyed this forum very much and had a lot of encouragement as he worked through, and solved, a problem with a solenoid issue last summer.

I also have a problem and could use some advice. I was never able to make the radio come on during the two hour drive home. I don't know if this is because of a reset that needs to be done after the extended battery failure, or whether the radio is just dead.

If there is a reset for the radio that requires a code, I couldn't find it in any of the documentation with the car. Nor did I see any indication that there was a way to enter a code. This leads me to think that the radio is non-functioning.

I don't think I'm going to be a fan of the navigation system that the stock radio provided, so if I choose to replace the radio, I'm probably going to want one that fits the existing opening, isn't ridiculously expensive and has been successful for other Crossfire users. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to find a place in Houston to install the radio, so I have the option of buying one from a car stereo store and having them install it, or I could order one from Crutchfield, but then I would need some recommendations for local Houston installers.

I am not nearly as technically savvy as my father, but I'm more so than my husband. I look forward to learning more about the car and I appreciate any advice that you can offer.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: XF Tom's Daughter in Houston, Texas

Sorry to hear about your father, I think it's cool you are keeping his car and using his account. Unfortunately I can not help with your question but, I am sure someone will chime in with the information you need.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 522 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm sorry for the loss of your father and it appears he only posted one time in all the years he was here
Not all that unusual though as I know many are reserved and use the forum more as a source of info while they quietly enjoy there Crossfire

If you would prefer to make a change to your fathers forum screen name to something of your choice I am able to do this for you but I respect the fact that you may choose to leave it as is in respect to your father
I hope the info you are in need of will be provided but I'm pretty sure there is not a code for the radios in our cars

Welcome to our family

Gary

Old 01-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XF Tom
My father, XF Tom, died last month and I have inherited his 2008 blue Crossfire. I have opted to use his account, but I changed the email to my own so that I can see any replies.

I drove the low-mileage car home and, once I found the cup holder and mastered the lights and turn signal control, I quite enjoyed myself! I know that he enjoyed this forum very much and had a lot of encouragement as he worked through, and solved, a problem with a solenoid issue last summer.

I also have a problem and could use some advice. I was never able to make the radio come on during the two hour drive home. I don't know if this is because of a reset that needs to be done after the extended battery failure, or whether the radio is just dead.

If there is a reset for the radio that requires a code, I couldn't find it in any of the documentation with the car. Nor did I see any indication that there was a way to enter a code. This leads me to think that the radio is non-functioning.

I don't think I'm going to be a fan of the navigation system that the stock radio provided, so if I choose to replace the radio, I'm probably going to want one that fits the existing opening, isn't ridiculously expensive and has been successful for other Crossfire users. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to find a place in Houston to install the radio, so I have the option of buying one from a car stereo store and having them install it, or I could order one from Crutchfield, but then I would need some recommendations for local Houston installers.

I am not nearly as technically savvy as my father, but I'm more so than my husband. I look forward to learning more about the car and I appreciate any advice that you can offer.
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Did you check the fuse for the radio? According to the Owners Manual page 230. Fuse box driver side. Fuse cavities 5, and 8, 15 amp blue. For the roadster fuse cavity 30.

Last edited by Bill F; 01-03-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

My condolences to you and your family . enjoy your crossfire, wish i had an answer for you on the radio. jim

Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure your Father would be very happy to know you're enjoying his Crossfire.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular

So sorry to hear of your dad's death. I know it must not have been a very good Christmastide for you. You will find a lot of help and friendship here on this forum. I believe that there are a few members in the Houston area.
Again, sorry for your loss.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your comments and condolences very much. I have printed the information on the fuse location and I will certainly give that a shot first. Wouldn't it be fabulous if it were that simple...?

I think I may keep Daddy's screen name, Gary. I kind of like the way that feels. Thankfully I was able to locate the password, so changing the email and password to my own was easy.

I'm surprised / not surprised that Daddy lurked and read more than he participated, but he certainly got a lot out of the forum. I look forward to learning more about the car and meeting other owners. Are there geographic groups within the forum that I could ask about local service providers? I hear something that sounds like it is rubbing on tight right turns and I would like to know who in the Houston area is familiar with these cars. Should I just post a question asking about local Houston service locations or is there a better way. I'll learn the ropes here, just give me time. Thank you again for being so welcoming.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Try this URL and sort it by last posts :

CrossfireForum.org - Members List

Old 01-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XFtom: So very sorry to hear about your dad...I understand where your'e at...

Welcome to your "new" family...it's a beautiful place to be...Carl

Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your comments and condolences very much.
Are there geographic groups within the forum that I could ask about local service providers?
I hear something that sounds like it is rubbing on tight right turns and I would like to know who in the Houston area is familiar with these cars.
Should I just post a question asking about local Houston service locations or is there a better way.
I'll learn the ropes here, just give me time.
Thank you again for being so welcoming.
If you are in the Houston area then you will find the >> South Forum to be the section for your region.

There are many regions within >>
North America

Old 01-05-2015, 06:59 PM

The link to the list of common problems and fixed is wonderful / a tad overwhelming! Is there anyway to bookmark that page for future reference? I can hang on to this thread by dropping it somewhere in my email folders, but if there is a way to mark specific threads that would be helpful. And I'll check the vendor directories too. Thank you all for being so welcoming. I love the car, it is very different from the every day car and I look forward to having a lot of fun with it.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 PM

The link to the list of common problems and fixed is wonderful / a tad overwhelming!
Is there anyway to bookmark that page for future reference?
I can hang on to this thread by dropping it somewhere in my email folders, but if there is a way to mark specific threads that would be helpful.
And I'll check the vendor directories too.
Thank you all for being so welcoming.
I love the car, it is very different from the every day car and I look forward to having a lot of fun with it.

While viewing a thread go to the top and click "thread tools"
Once you have done that click "subscribe to this thread" and it will save it
Then to find it quickly you simply click on "Quick Links" and then "subscribed threads"

I will send you a PM (private message) with a way to contact me if you wish to talk with me

Last edited by Valk; 01-05-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:16 PM

Got it. Subscribed to the thread and got the PM. Replied to the PM too.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Condolences for the passing of your father.

WRT the question on the radio. Does the radio light come on? Does the words Chrysler appear on the screen? If any of these do, I doubt the fuse is the issue. These radios are querky. Shutting them on, off, pushing the various buttons on the face sometimes brings them back to life and to proper working function. Let me know your exact situation and symptoms and I'll dig up some old threads on how I dealt with mine.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 PM

Sadly, although we are in the "South Forum" being Houston residents, even when ALL enthusiasts got together we could never get many at our local GTG. Although there are over 200 Crossfires in the Houston area, we were never able to get more than 6 or so cars to meet up, AND usually only 4. We depended greatly on the support we got from the Dallas and San Antonio guys. The enthusiasm of many of our regulars, including myself, fell off, and we sold our Crossfires. Myself, I always enjoyed the TMS event at Dallas Speedway, and although I have not had a Crossfire for the last 2 years, still visited with the guys at this September GTG. Over the years we made many friends, and eventually decided to once again buy a Crossfire, to again join in the commaraderie and friendship and GTG we all have. We hope to meet up in the near future, when the Houston weather gets a bit warmer. Welcome again to our Forum.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 PM

Terry, it is really a shame that Houston hasn't stepped up and formed a big group of Crossfire owners. Please do let me know when you plan a gathering of Houston owners. I am going to go to River Oaks / Helfman Chrysler for the rubbing noise unless you suggest another service location. My brohter's father-in-law is an ex-brit, living in Pearland, and he too has a Crossfire. He's been ill, but based on your shared history, we may be able to work a meet up with all of us soon. I hope so.

Back to the radio...it is totally dead. Not just napping with the occasional flash of anything. I pulled the two fuses - thank you so much for the locations! - and they "look" fine, but I am going to get some replacements and give the easy fix a shot. I'm not hopeful, but it would sure be the cheapest and fastest fix. I'll get back to you. If this doesn't work, I am considering purchasing a replacement radio through Crutchfield. It seems to be a fairly easy, modular replacement, so I'll get on the link of fixes and see if others have had ease of replacement, if that is what I ultimately need to do.

Thank you all again for your support. Just wading through the estate paperwork and this thread has been a wonderful diversion. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions.

Cindy

Old 01-07-2015, 02:18 PM

Terry, it is really a shame that Houston hasn't stepped up and formed a big group of Crossfire owners. Please do let me know when you plan a gathering of Houston owners. I am going to go to River Oaks / Helfman Chrysler for the rubbing noise unless you suggest another service location. My brohter's father-in-law is an ex-brit, living in Pearland, and he too has a Crossfire. He's been ill, but based on your shared history, we may be able to work a meet up with all of us soon. I hope so.

Back to the radio...it is totally dead. Not just napping with the occasional flash of anything. I pulled the two fuses - thank you so much for the locations! - and they "look" fine, but I am going to get some replacements and give the easy fix a shot. I'm not hopeful, but it would sure be the cheapest and fastest fix. I'll get back to you. If this doesn't work, I am considering purchasing a replacement radio through Crutchfield. It seems to be a fairly easy, modular replacement, so I'll get on the link of fixes and see if others have had ease of replacement, if that is what I ultimately need to do.

Thank you all again for your support. Just wading through the estate paperwork and this thread has been a wonderful diversion. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and suggestions.

Cindy
Cindy, a friend of mine from the Forum (FTroopChief) recently had me check out a 2005 Alabaster White Crossfire, in Pearland a couple of weeks ago, and ended up buying it on the spot It had 18,000 genuine miles on the clock. A really nice condition car, This is another guy returning to the Forum AND was one of its founding Members. See we all return to the Forum eventually, Mainly for the friendship and assistance given by the knowledgeable guys here, always willing to help. I will let you know when we have a Get together.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Cindy

Instead of wading through tons of threads on stereo's - this was recently posted and no clutter in the rest of the thread. If it isn't a Navigation "stock" system this will get you right on track for a new head unit. The actual stereo is of course to your discretions - but this is probably one of the better looking - color and display matching units.
Best of luck to you on getting everything sorted out car and otherwise.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post823584

Just read back through the thread and noticed you referenced Nav system. If I'm not mistaken you would just need a different antenna adapter.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 01-07-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 PM

I went on the Crutchfield website & they said boat radio , which is an exact match in silver to the original radio.

Quick Reply: XF Tom's Daughter in Houston, Texas