Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Stock front speakers rock!

Old 07-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock front speakers rock!

Being that I'm an installer, I've tired some things like the capacitor trick. I found that I didn't like it, I don't know what some people are hearing. After I put the capacitors on the front speakers, I realized just how bad the factory subs sound and the overall bass output was far less. The front speakers actually are very good and don't distort as bad as the subs do. So I removed the caps for the time being, until...

I knew I was going to add a aftermarket amp because I just wasn't satisfied with the not so clean and not so powerful factory amp.
So, I changed the head unit for my Pioneer and added my JL Audio 500/5 five channel amp which is 100x2 for the front, 25x2 for the rear, and 250x1 for a sub. I removed the door panels to run my wires to the speakers, and realized how nice the front speakers actually are. They are NOT your typical factory speakers, like the old Chrysler/Infinity speakers. These speakers are true Infinity speakers with Polypropylene cones, rubber surrounds and a huge magnet. The tweeters are a nice dome style unit that is actually positioned good, pointing up towards the rear view mirror which I didn't know before.
So...I just amplified the stock front speakers with clean 100x2 power with the amps crossover set at about 63hz and they sound great!
The stock front speakers produce alot more, cleaner bass then the stock subs do. I left the stock subs hooked up to the factory amp, on the rear outputs of the head unit, that way I can use the fader to shut them off if I want to.
I love the sound Im getting from the stock door speakers now, very loud, clear and lots of mid bass that you can feel on your legs!
The rear 25x2 outputs of my JL amp are not being used for the time being, some day I may use it for the stock subs for some fill, because...
I added a JL audio 8W7 8" sub in a sealed box using the 250x1 from the amp for some real bass that moves the hair on my head if I want it to!

Old 07-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Stock front speakers rock!

Good info, it always amazes me, its not necessarily the quality of the speaker, but the power going to them that can make a difference.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is true, it is not always the quality of the speaker. Everything that goes to the speaker is important. if you have a $200 amp powering $1,000 speakers, they will sound like crap. Same goes if you have $1,000 amp powering $200 speakers. they will sound like crap. (the best they could sound, but the amp is overkill) you need to match up components by quality. Yes, hooking up a JL amp to the fronts will make them sound great, but this amp is too good for these speakers. upgrade to some quality speakers like a set of $400 MB Quarts or Focals, and they will make the stocks sound terrible. Also, running new heavier gauge wires into the doors is a great idea, especially since it is so easy.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCrossFire6spd
This is true, it is not always the quality of the speaker. Everything that goes to the speaker is important. if you have a $200 amp powering $1,000 speakers, they will sound like crap. Same goes if you have $1,000 amp powering $200 speakers. they will sound like crap. (the best they could sound, but the amp is overkill) you need to match up components by quality. Yes, hooking up a JL amp to the fronts will make them sound great, but this amp is too good for these speakers. upgrade to some quality speakers like a set of $400 MB Quarts or Focals, and they will make the stocks sound terrible. Also, running new heavier gauge wires into the doors is a great idea, especially since it is so easy.
Are you an installer? I'm just wondering is all.
I've installed so many makes and models of speakers in my 10 years of experience, that I've seen some of the best, and let me tell you...the stock speakers are just as good as some $400 aftermarket kinds.
Have you actually taken the door panels off and held the stockers in your hand?
They are not bad at all, and I'd be willing to bet that they are designed to be in "that" door.
They can produce mid-bass like I've never heard before, of the same size aftermarket speaker that is.

I actually have a set of $400 JL Audio XR 650 CSI component speakers sitting in my basement that were in my previous SRT-4. They sounded great, but I think the stock Crossfire speakers are just as good sounding, produce more bass up front, and are not worth replacing IMO.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was an installer till I realized I was making more money selling the equipment. I agree that the stock speakers are some of the best that I've seen and heard, but I do not like the stock tweeter. They are too scratchy and harsh at higher frequencies to my ears. The mid range is a quality speaker, well built and will last a long time under abuse I'm sure. As for the JL components, they are one of my least favorite speakers in that price range for the same reason I don't like the stock speakers. The tweeters. JL makes great subs and sub amps, but they don't shine when it comes to mids-and-highs with speakers or their amps. The stock speakers are wonderful, but until you hear a really great set of speakers in those doors, you won't know what you are missing. My MB Quart speakers were a direct replacement for those doors. The fit was perfect. I didn't have to modify the door or build a plate, which is very rare i most new cars. Not saying that all speakers will be that easy, but the MBs fit perfectly, and they have a lot more mid bass than the infinity system.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 PM

That's cool...
Yeah, I'm lucky enough that I get paid a very nice hourly rate plus commission on the labor bills...I just got done doing a $1,600 labor bill on a Lambo Gallardo that made my pay check happier.

Unfortunately the best speakers that my current shop carries are JL Audio.
Although I have worked at other places that carried MBQ, KEF, Canton, Dynaudio and other great speakers...man I wish I could still get a hold of some of them now.

Anyway, lately I'm more into the cars performance and my personal audio systems are put on the back burners most of the time, but I'm happy with the amped up stock ones for now.

Last edited by Eracer76; 07-18-2006 at 11:40 PM.