Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Ipod controlled from Crossfire Sat/Nav

Old 09-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ipod controlled from Crossfire Sat/Nav

I did it, I now have a fully controlled Ipod connected to my Becker head unit. Chuffed or what!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Ipod controlled from Crossfire Sat/Nav

That's great! Can you tell the group how this is done?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:54 AM

Hi, I will do a write up on it when I'm happy with it.

At the moment I'm listening to music (amplified) via the head unit and controlling volume, track (back and forward) fast forward and rewind but their are no track tags (looking into it) Odd thing is the head unit thinks the Ipod is a Mini disk player!! It comes up MDC when playing the Ipod, there is nothing on a MDC in the manual for the unit.

Not quite stable as when I turn the head on and of whilst driving sometimes I get CDC and other times MDC...

More to follow.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Thumbs up Re: Ipod controlled from Crossfire Sat/Nav

If you apply an input to the Becker supplied wiring harness for a hands free phone kit, and ground the wire that usually mutes the phone, you have an aux amplified input. It amplifies the left channel only. I haven't had time to find the right channel, but I'm sure it is in the same blue plug supplied by Becker.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Post Re: Ipod controlled from Crossfire Sat/Nav

OK, The information set out here was acquired by me to enable me to include, Ipod (or CDC) Hands Free and TMC in my Crossfire without advertising it to the world by way of an aftermarket setup (Roadster, worried that someone would cut the roof to get to it)

I do NOT guarantee the accuracy of the below information:-

The below works on my Becker Sat/Nav head unit, this is a BE6810 bought from Mopar for the Crossfire. The standard US fit is the BE6811. These are DTM High Speed models based on the 780X aftermarket series. Becker Europe describes the differences as:-
Is there any difference between a Becker BE 6811 and a Becker BE 6810 and if so, what? 6810 USA, Europe : - DTM Navi High Speed, - black ***** (top and bottom) - CD drive -> M3/4.8 CP - this radio has a code - led blinking - green display - menu - hold Sound - no evidence of a GAL in display on the simple menu function 6811 Navi High Speed DTM radio for USA market only! all silver buttons CD drive -> M6/4.8/42 no security code check this... no Aux in
So in theory it may be possible for factory heads (BE6811) to work the same way as my BE6810

I used the Dension Ice-link PLUS adaptor that was installed in my BMW X5, this never worked very well and was flaky to operate so wasn’t used much. I bought a 14 Pin Dension ISO wiring adapter off an internet web site (do a Google, loads selling these) I Paid Ł8 for it or you could probably eBay the whole lot for Ł70-80.

My Ipod is a 5th gen Video; I upgraded it to the latest software as it wouldn’t be recognized otherwise. I tried all flavors of Dension Ice-link firmware but the only one I have got to work so far is ver 2.05. I had to install the Becker/Porsche config file for the Ice-Link thereafter it talks to the Becker head.

You can order Ice-link preconfigured for Becker with the correct wiring adapter but you will have to downgrade the software to 2.05 to get it to work, the latest software does NOT work.

Disconnect the Power ISO connection on the back of the head unit and connect the Ice-Link to the CD changer port in the back of the head unit. Reconnect the power and the CD button now gives MDC when the Ipod is connected. NAV CD remains in the Head and is now available at all times.

You can only access 5 playlists (selecting Disc6 is for the Ice-link Setup Menu that’s displayed on the Ipod)

To access the playlists these need to be prefixed as in, 1pop 2heavy 3rock 4Favourites 5odds (name them what you will as long as they start 1-5) each playlist will only recognize 99 tracks so this is the max you can have in any one playlist. To select a playlist turn the right hand **** on the head and stop it on the Playlist 1-5 that you require (don’t push the know to accept, pushing it sets off a scan sequence that plays each track for approx 5 seconds until you push the **** again then it plays the whole track)

To access forward tracks you press the >> softkey, haven’t figured out how to go back yet as << does the same as >>.

To FF > To RW <

Sound (Bass and treble) and volume are used in the normal manor and is separate to Radio, Nav and CD settings. The track selected is displayed on the Ipod.

I’m not worried about seeing the titles so I have installed my Ipod with a Dension cradle in the Glove box. Simple install, drill two holes, one for the wiring and one to attach the Cradle, mine is secured with a split pin, Works perfectly.

I will play further and see if I can find any more. If someone wants photos of my install or more detail to have a go themselves then please ask.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:32 PM

Upgraded Ice-Link to v2.10. I now have all functions and its been stable all day (5 hours driving).

Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 AM

I am very interested in this Ice Link PLUS device. Can you confirm, that it is possible to control everything via the OEM head unit and to see all the ID3 tags in the display??

That would be great, can't wait to buy one in this case...

Thanks in advance...

Old 11-13-2006, 11:04 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wrangler57
I am very interested in this Ice Link PLUS device. Can you confirm, that it is possible to control everything via the OEM head unit and to see all the ID3 tags in the display??

That would be great, can't wait to buy one in this case...

Thanks in advance...
I'm very interested too. This is some what techy for me, but the outcome is what I want.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:59 PM

It's straightforward if you buy the correct adaptor (IE Becker) for the IPod. It's pretty much PnP then, I have no ID3 tags on the display but maybe I could upgrade the software further...

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iP...k_Plus_Adapter

Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Forum Regular

All you need now is the Gpod adapter for your woman...

Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 PM
FP

Originally Posted by edealuk
It's straightforward if you buy the correct adaptor (IE Becker) for the IPod. It's pretty much PnP then, I have no ID3 tags on the display but maybe I could upgrade the software further...

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iP...k_Plus_Adapter
Do I get all that I need from this site?

Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM

The Ice Link Plus for Becker is definitely available in the US, so you don't need to order in the UK. Try Amazon or a dealer close to you!

Greetings.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:27 PM
FP

Originally Posted by wrangler57
The Ice Link Plus for Becker is definitely available in the US, so you don't need to order in the UK. Try Amazon or a dealer close to you!

Greetings.
I tried Amazon, and they don't have it. Maybe I'll just google it.