Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

iPod adaptor?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod adaptor?

We're looking to buy my mom an iPod Nano for her birthday. She has an '05 roadster without the nav system. I'm wondering if there's an official Chrysler/MBenz solution to plug the iPod into the stock head unit.

Replacing the H/U is not an option.

I've looked on Google, Chrysler, Mopar, and Mercedes' websites, and nothing has turned up. I guess I don't really know where to look, since the XFire is such a Chrysler/MB mix.

It would be nice to keep things simple... i.e. keep the controls on the iPod, not re-locating them anywhere.

Ideas?? Thanks!

Old 10-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: iPod adaptor?

NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW, DETROIT—January 8, 2006—The Chrysler Group today announced that it will be the first American automaker to provide full iPod integration as an option in most of its 2006 models, with over three million 2006 Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge models offering seamless iPod® integration beginning this spring. Drivers will be able to listen to their iPod through the car’s audio system, select their music by artist, album or playlist with radio or steering wheel controls and view selections on the radio’s display.
So that pretty much leaves us out, at least for a stock direct-to-head-unit solution.

I'm quite sure that if you search this sub-forum you'll find many posts suggesting alternate iPod solutions for the Crossfire. I'm using Belkin's "TuneBase FM for iPod," which works well enough for an FM solution. There are many such units.

If you're interested I can give the Belkin a quick review.

-- Fred

Old 10-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

There are several people on the forums with various iPod integration methods.

Some use Harmon Kardon's Drive-n-play, some use other means.

I've installed a six disc CD changer (Becker make) and spliced into that with a Becker iPod adapter. The iPod adapter doesn't work with the factory head unit, but you can use the audio inputs with the CD changer hooked up.

Do a search on the forums for 'iPod' you will find quite a bit of information.

Cheers!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:54 AM

I've been using I-trips FM transmitter works great.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Forum Regular

Becker makes the stock head unit. Check there site, Maybe they can help you. Or...Beg and plead with mom until she lets you change the head unit.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular

I tried to get an answer from Becker but they just stonewalled because it was an OEM radio.

Yes, this has been discussed a lot here but I still hold out hope. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the iPod adaptors might just work if the radio has the proper software version.

Harmon/Becker US
Becker DE

Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Midlife,

That was my thought too. Alas, I have yet to see a newer version of the NAV software for the states.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:34 PM

Sadly, I think FM is the way to go... unless anyone can find an aux input adaptor. I've had a few different FM setups and hated them all -- iTrip, RoadTrip, Belkin. Don't want a Drive+Play. I have one in my Escape and love it, but mom wants something a bit simpler.

Any other ideas?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:50 PM

I have an fm modulator and the sound is not as clear as when it is hardwired into the car. Has anyone found anything on ebay for this ?

Old 10-26-2006, 04:04 PM

DENSION Ice Link PLUS should work, go to their homepage and have a look at the description. I think I will give it a try. Someone in the forum already mentioned the PLUS version and I think he was satisfied with that solution.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You can try this as well. I've heard good things about it, but have not tried it yet.

http://www.icarkits.com/product_info.php?products_id=59

Old 11-07-2006, 09:46 AM

I have the Monster Cable for my IPOD and it works well. It is especially nice to have the presets on the FM transmitter. If anyone goes with the FM transmitter option, I would highly recommend going with a unit that actually plugs into the cig lighter. I would also recommend buying it off of amazon.com too. It's about $25 cheaper than the apple store.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
You can try this as well. I've heard good things about it, but have not tried it yet.

http://www.icarkits.com/product_info.php?products_id=59
Bought that for my brother and he says it works fine!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

I use the Belkin which I bought for my GT Cruiser and it worked horrible in that car. Just per chance I tried it in the Crossfire (my son had confiscated it) and it seems to work a lot better. Must have to do with the mast antenna on the GT vs. the window antenna on the Crossfire. I think the strength of these devices is all subject to the radio stations that are around the frequencies you can tap into. In the DC area there are frequencies close to all 4 positions on the Belkin but for some reason the I-pod signal is strong in the Crossfire. I would prefer a hardwired connection but this will have to do, don't want to change my head unit right now.

Pat