Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Thinking of getting a remote car starter...

Old 01-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a remote car starter...

Hey all... I searched and only found 1 or 2 threads about people getting it...

The one I was thinking of getting was this: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=5137

Anyone know if the remote starter would work? The one person that did install this didn't install the remote starter kit... and I read somewhere that they didn't work with our cars?

And anyone know how much an install would cost?

Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of getting a remote car starter...

I have not researched this, but from what I'm told...

The XFire has to be "tricked" into thinking the key is in the ignition all the time. The security is bypassed and replaced by the remote starter...

Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. The key has an RFID tag or does some kind of cryptographic handshake with the car. Someone (Ben's car audio, I think) did a remote/keyless start set-up for his Crossfire a while back. As I recall it was not a small modification. You might want to use the "search" function to find it.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This is something you might want to have done as a dealer installed option. It's a bit tricky, and you want to make sure it's covered under warranty. Just find a good dealer, which might be your biggest challenge.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 PM

I agree with FP.
There are many computers in new vehicles.
If the installation is not correct there could/will be conflict signals.
The warranty becomes void if DC dealer did not install.
Let the dealer install, and be responsible.
As I'm writing this, we are having the DC dealer install one in our 2006 Grand Cherokee. Cost is $450 Can.
The new 2007 Grand Cherokee has the remote as standard equipment.
Here in Canada they are very desirable.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not easy with the rfid chip.
You need to break the chip out of the key and put it next to the ign.
I am not sure if you can remote lock the doors with the chip by the ign as the car will see it as the key is still in.
Do your research and find out before you spend your money on a bunch of parts you can't use...

Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 PM

I'm having a remote starter installed next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

I did have to buy an extra key, which will get installed with the system.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 AM

We dropped the car off last night to have the Remote Starter installed today. They just called me this morning to say they can't do it, not with the equipment vendor they use. That's after I already bought the spare key they said they would need to trick the system.

Anyone have more info on this subject? I'd still like to have one installed. It's actually my girlfriend’s car, and it was to be her Christmas gift.

Last edited by pgmikes; 02-01-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM

The Viper systems are made by DEI and are nice systems. They are the same ones that I install every day were I work.
Whatever you do, DO NOT try to install it yourself unless your very smart with wiring and have done them before.
The Crossfire can be done, I've done one for a customer, it is a hard car to do though.
DEI makes a bypass module that you put the key into, but in our case the key doesn't fit, so you have to take the key apart and remove the chip and put it in the module.
The module then sends the signal to the ignition switch only when the remote start is activated, so the factory security system is unaffected.
Almost every car now days uses these modules to fool the car into thinking the key is in the ignition, so thats not really the hard part of the Crossfire...the hard part is getting the chip out of the key since it doesn't fit into the module.
The even harder part is the rest of the wiring, the Crossfire has tricky wiring for the parking lights, and the rest of the wiring like the door locks, brake light wire and so on are not easy to get to.

Im glad my SRT-6 sits in the garage during the winter, so I don't need or have one on mine.
My Neon has one though LOL.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM

I really can't seem to stay away from the idea of having this in my car.

So... would this be what I need?

1. http://www.directedstore.com/cgi-bin...ategory%3DB_IN
2. A spare key to take the chip out of (which will render it useless) and (they run around $150 to get it programmed too, right)?
3. The viper kit itself...
4. A shop that knows what they're doing. (I should probably ask them if they've done an install on a crossfire before, right? I live in Michigan where they are fairly common, so I might have a little better luck).

Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 PM

Yep, the 556UW is the one you need.
As for installing it, try to find a Viper/DEI dealer that has a good installer, and then just maybe you'll get lucky enough to find someone that knows what they are doing.
Im not going to get into detail about the crap work I've fixed from "so called installers", even from big name stores... but some of the work I've seen and fixed, the "installer" should be shot in the head for doing that kind of work to a car!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 AM

I found prices for the spare key from $135 to $185.

You program it yourself. With the new key; press unlock button twice then use it to start the car.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:32 PM

I received this email after I emailed "Car Tunes" (Michigan Audio Shop).

"Thanks for the opportunity to help you. My name is Jim Grant and I manage
the Roseville CarTunes, the "biggest and best" CarTunes. First WE HAVE install
remote starts on the Crossfire! They do take longer so pick a day when you
can leave it with us so you don't have to wait for it. I'm including a link to
a Code Alarm that our customers like better than the viper. One great
feature over the viper is the screen background changes color with each
function, no staring at small icons to see what's going on. Red when armed or
a zone has been violated,green for disarm/unlock, blue when start is
activated. We wont be "gluing a microchip to a transmitter" so we'll need
your valet key to put in the interface. Just call me and set up an
appointment when you have a day when you can drop it off so you don't have
to wait around for it and we'll call you as soon as it's done.

http://webappshttp.voxdmz.audiovox.c...=-1&desc=null"

"Troy I forgot to tell you it would be $599 installed with all the parts necessary".

Thanks,
Jim Grant

$600 With all the parts. I've been looking and I still seem to like the Viper unit better.
Any suggestions? It comes around to $400 to install it.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eracer76
The Viper systems are made by DEI and are nice systems. They are the same ones that I install every day were I work.
Whatever you do, DO NOT try to install it yourself unless your very smart with wiring and have done them before.
The Crossfire can be done, I've done one for a customer, it is a hard car to do though.
DEI makes a bypass module that you put the key into, but in our case the key doesn't fit, so you have to take the key apart and remove the chip and put it in the module.
The module then sends the signal to the ignition switch only when the remote start is activated, so the factory security system is unaffected.
Almost every car now days uses these modules to fool the car into thinking the key is in the ignition, so thats not really the hard part of the Crossfire...the hard part is getting the chip out of the key since it doesn't fit into the module.
The even harder part is the rest of the wiring, the Crossfire has tricky wiring for the parking lights, and the rest of the wiring like the door locks, brake light wire and so on are not easy to get to.

Im glad my SRT-6 sits in the garage during the winter, so I don't need or have one on mine.
My Neon has one though LOL.
Viper is the only brand I trust considering that they're the most trusted in the remote start world.

Hey Eracer, you know that remote start aren't just for the winter right? You can set the A/C on so that when you get in on a hot day it's nice and cool inside.

The biggest benefit you would probably get from it considering you have an SRT is to start it a few minutes before you go for a cruise. It's never good to drive with cold oil. If you warm the oil before you drive you maintain performance and prolong the life of the car.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (03-19-2023)
Old 06-03-2007, 11:02 AM

I've been installing alarms and remote starts for years. I few points I'd like to mention:

Though I haven't worked on my Crossfire yet, the documentation I've read proves it to be more difficult than most cars. Mostly because of the location and tight spaces of things. So expect to pay a little more.

I live in NY/NJ area and the most you'll want to spend labor wise for an alarm WITH remote start is $250. And that's if your going to a reputable shop that backs their work. The units themselves go from $100 - $500.

The Viper 5900 you referred to is a great piece that should cost you $450 - $600 installed depending on where you go. Although it may seem cheaper for you to buy that Viper on a website, you are better off getting it from the place you install, mainly because of warranty issues.

When that rep said Code Alarm was better than a Viper I almost crapped in my pants. The only reason he mentioned that piece to you is because he'd make double his money. Where that Viper my cost them up to $250, a comparable Code Alarm (made by Audiovox) would cost them under $150.

Though other brands may have "cool" features that Vipers lack, its not worth putting any piece other than DEI in your car. By the way, Installing a $20 remote starter is no different from installing a $600 one. The labor is roughly the same.

Don't worry about voiding your warranty by going anywhere other than your dealer. Obviously if they screw something up then you are void, but going somewhere else will not automatically void your warranty. When a dealer does remote starts they are paying a local shop to do the work anyway, so you end up paying double. I don't know any dealer that will offer a lifetime warranty on remote starts so you want to go somewhere that does.

Last point, VERY IMPORTANT. Find someone who knows what they are doing. Don't talk to managers, talk to the installers. Ask specific questions about your car to see if they know what they're doing, like "diode isolating" and "running tach-less".

Hope this helps. I do this for a living, I'd do it free if I didn't have bills to pay.