Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

ipod hookup on factory installed system

Old 12-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ipod hookup on factory installed system

I saw an OEM radio on ebaymotors starting bid $10, do you guys think the phone input is a mono sound or is it stereo and adjustable?

I might be better off picking up a Cayanne radio with optical ports or else get the Crossfire nav radio.

edit:
this might have answered my question on the phone input, http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/06-108B.html though you still might be able to tap into the rear speakers with a little custom wiring.

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-16-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxwell
why don't you mail him your radio to tinker with, why does he need the whole car?
That might work. The issue with incompatibility appears to be with the remote amp turn on, and I may need to make some measurements in the car to solve this.

As a start, does anyone have pinouts for the head unit?

Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM

here is the audio system wiring diagram, I'll look around for the pin outs diagram, In post number 8 of this thread I also posted a file there for the phone pin outs.

I found the pin outs in the manual, but it desribes each one individually over numerous pages. The guys at Becker are quick to respond to emails and they might have better information than the crossfire manual.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
audio_diagram_crossfire.jpg (98.6 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-16-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:50 PM

heres the oem crossfire radio manual for radio 6806, sec. 6 describes the phone function, I might have mis-read but I think you can get the phone to operate in stero mode.
I don't quite understand the LHD left hand drive or RHD right hand drive modes.

nevermind it won't upload, I can email it to you if you want

OK I found a link of the Becker pin outs over at this crazy guys website, check out how much crap he's got in his crossfire, its color coded too.
http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/pioneer_tuner/index.htm

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-16-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

DickB
We have a member in your area, however he has put his car away for the winterWe may have to wait for Spring to get you a car. I'll look into getting you a radio if you think that will help.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 PM

heres the oem crossfire radio manual for radio 6806, sec. 6 describes the phone function, I might have mis-read but I think you can get the phone to operate in stero mode.
I don't quite understand the LHD left hand drive or RHD right hand drive modes.

nevermind it won't upload, I can email it to you if you want

OK I found a link of the Becker pin outs over at this crazy guys website, check out how much crap he's got in his crossfire, its color coded too.
http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/pioneer_tuner/index.htm
Great find Maxwell

Old 12-16-2007, 05:57 PM

Sorry for missing this before, but I didn’t recall it right away. I dug through my archives, and it turns out a 2004 Crossfire owner ordered an MP3 adapter in January 2005. This was the customer’s initial report:

> The connectors all fit exactly as needed.
>
> When the ignition switch is on (sending power to the radio) I hear the
> MP3 player for a few seconds and then the Radio always turns on and
> starts up and switches out the MP3 player. When I turn the radio off
> the MP3 player never switches back in. Somehow the power seems always
> to be on as far as the adapter is concerned and never lets the MP3
> signal through to the amp. So it's working for a few seconds at start
> up but then the radio turns on which then switches the MP3 signal off.
>
> If I leave the head unit out of the system completely (unplugged) and
> just connect the adapter and MP3 player to the car the MP3 player works
> and sounds great.

As I explained in my earlier post, the adapter turns itself on when the ignition is on but the radio is off. The SLK radio shuts off the control signal to the amp (and powered antenna) when the radio is switched off. The Crossfire does not do this. The customer measured the antenna/amp control signal out of the Crossfire radio and found that it is basically active whenever the ignition is on, even with the radio off.

A workaround would be to add a switch to the adapter to ignore the signal out of the radio and positively switch the adapter in circuit.

MI1XFIRE, if you or someone else would like to give this a try, I’ll send out a loaner adapter with an added switch

Old 12-16-2007, 06:16 PM

DickB

Sure I'll give it a try...I'll PM my mailing address

Old 12-22-2007, 08:59 AM

Good news guys........I got DickB's MP3 adaptor installed and it works like a charm. By that I mean that we now have a hardwired MP3 hookup solution for the standard radio. No more FM transmitter needed
It plugs in between the radio and the original radio connector and has an OFF/ON switch and of course your standard 3.5mm audio jack to connect to your ipod or mp3 player.
The radio has to be off and MP3 switch on to play thru your car speakers. The only draw back is that you can't use the radio to control volume and settings. You do that thru your MP3 player.

Once DickB is ready to sell these, I would like to see it added to FP's vendor thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:22 AM

Simply marvelous, I'm sure TVT_designs might like to add this to thier product line up for the crossfire!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:07 AM

so when can I get mine guys? who do I paypal around here for the mp3 harness?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:15 AM

Simply marvelous, I'm sure TVT_designs might like to add this to thier product line up for the crossfire!
Maxwell

I haven't heard back from DickB either, but with the Holidays and all I think it has to be expected. He has been very good with replies to all of my PMs up to now.

You'll just have to be patient

Old 12-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: ipod hookup on factory installed system

DickB: I want one...............

Old 12-24-2007, 06:50 AM

Thanks for your interest.

I could use a bit more information on Crossfire sound systems. We know that the adapter is compatible with at least one system, but are there other audio system variants that need to be tested? I’m not at all clear on the variety of sound systems available. Is there information on this somewhere?

Old 12-24-2007, 08:38 AM

I don't know what other information you need, I could mail you a copy of the shop manual and radio opertion manual. but you won't get any detailed secifications of the electrical system.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 AM

My main question is, do all Crossfires use an amplified system? The MP3 adapter will only work with a system with a separate amplifier. If not, how would owners (especially second owners) readiliy identify if they have an amplified system or not?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by DickB
Thanks for your interest.

I could use a bit more information on Crossfire sound systems. We know that the adapter is compatible with at least one system, but are there other audio system variants that need to be tested? I’m not at all clear on the variety of sound systems available. Is there information on this somewhere?
There are in fact 3 different systems;
1) 2005 to 2007 Base model with no amp or rear speakers
2) All 2004, 2005 SRT-6 and 2005 to 2008 Limited without Navigation (Most common configuration) with amp and rear speakers
3) 2005 to 2008 Limited and 2005 SRT-6 with Navigation radios, amp, rear speakers and CD changer hookup. On these, people have been able to hookup a MP3 thru an aftermarket CD Changer.

Regarding your question on switch location, the ideal solution would be to add a Crossfire switch under the radio with all the other switches. However on the most common configuration (2) there are no more spaces available. I think people have different preference, side of the console, glove box etc.....I'm going to put mine in the console pocket that replaces the useless cupholder (Thanks CoupeGirl) Using that option for wire length would cover most if not all other mounting preferences as it is by far the furthest away location. About 40" of wires should cover it.
For the switch itself, I would go with something that can be easily installed by drilling a hole, silver or black, small good quality. I'm not a big fan of the switch you sent me but it works...

Last edited by MI1XFIRE; 12-24-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:23 PM

Any updates on this potential fix for a MP3 to OEM radio?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Utah12
Any updates on this potential fix for a MP3 to OEM radio?
I have been working with the supplier that makes an MP3 adapter for the Mercedes SLK. The adaptor needs some modifications to enable it to work with the Infinity Amplifier. I tested a prototype in my car and it works great. I don't know when it will be available but the supplier told me that he was working on a production version and that it was going to take him a little time.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:03 AM

The current modification for Crossfire operation consists of an added switch on a thin cable to the adapter. The switch needs to be thrown to select MP3 input and switched off for normal operation. I can produce this version of the adapter now, with about a week turn-around time. Retail price for the Mercedes adapter is $119 and the Crossfire price will be the same. As these adapters are specially modified, for now at least they are available only directly from me. Send me a private message or email ****@bipesauto.com if interested.

In another application, I’ve used an audio detection circuit to enable source switching. In other words, a signal on the MP3 input automatically switches the adapter to MP3 mode, without the need for the added switch. This is a more elegant solution, but I need a bit more time to develop it for the Crossfire application. This may or may not be made available in the near future. I should know within a couple of weeks. Retail price would probably be the same to $10 higher.

Quick Reply: ipod hookup on factory installed system