Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

iPod Index

Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: iPod Index

Originally Posted by smokey847
Okay. Just spoke with a Crutchfield rep. about purchasing a wired FM Modulator for my car. He informed me that this:would be the best box.Ok. That's fine. But I would also need 2 adaptors. Long story short, this was all that I needed:It appears to me that the adapters convert M to F and then F back to M. What's up with that? Any help would be extremely appreciated!P.S. These don't look like the regular removal tools. Will they work?
You're gonna spend $100 (plus tax and shipping) and still not really get great sound. If you're going to spend that much I'd recommend the Drive + Play from harman/kardon, with the wired fm modulator option. That would run you about $50 and the tool and fm cables you list would bring you to $100 - with the added feature of being able to input both your iPod (with controller and charging) and an external XM radio. That would be a better deal for your $100.

Click for More

Old 09-03-2008, 04:35 PM

Alright, I hate to do this to you all, but I another simple question.

The main thing that I dislike about my wireless FM transmitter is the lack of volume. The quality is alright; I just can't stand it not being as loud as other FM stations or a CD.

My question is: If I decide to go with the wired FM modulator or Drive+Play, which is very likely, do you think I would get a volume increase over the wireless transmitter?

Thanks so much everyone!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Forum Regular

Alright, I hate to do this to you all, but I another simple question.

The main thing that I dislike about my wireless FM transmitter is the lack of volume. The quality is alright; I just can't stand it not being as loud as other FM stations or a CD.

My question is: If I decide to go with the wired FM modulator or Drive+Play, which is very likely, do you think I would get a volume increase over the wireless transmitter?

Thanks so much everyone!
I tried to tell you but what did you do? Kids these days...

I ended up using the Drive + Play plugged into the new head unit. I didn't use it for more than 5 minutes with the wireless OR wired FM modulator. My recollection is that the sound was not so good and it wasn't as loud as the CD player. Once I plugged it into the system like any other sound source, the iPod channel was just as loud as I wanted it.

You might just want to start saving your money for a new head unit that you can plug in your iPod. In the end you will spend that much just trying all the different "almost good enough" approaches.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ppro
You might just want to start saving your money for a new head unit...
Ugh. Ugh. It's not a matter of expense, it's moreso a matter of style. I couldn't bring myself to have something aftermarket setting in my console. lol. Did you happen to notice a difference between the wired and wireless?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Forum Regular

Ugh. Ugh. It's not a matter of expense, it's moreso a matter of style. I couldn't bring myself to have something aftermarket setting in my console. lol. Did you happen to notice a difference between the wired and wireless?
I understand style. I always get disappointed when a concept car (like ours) hits the show car circuit and has an incredible interior. But when they finally make the car, the cool interior is gone. Bummer.

I too liked the look of the factory stereo but my needs and my ears did not. I tried everything to make it work for me but in the end I needed more. Better sound. Aux Input. iPod. XM Radio. Better Reception. Better display. Did I mention better sound?

In the end I don't like everything about the way the unit I chose looks (it's black) but the display, features, and importantly, the sound are superior. I got over the look. All my problems solved. If I have to sell the car, I just slide out the head unit and the various components under the floor, yank the sub, and put the factory unit back in. Poof! Factory look.

Really, if you didn't care about sound you wouldn't be chasing the iPod thing so hard and be so disappointed with FM Modulation. Sometimes you have to choose - great looks or great performance. Kinda like picking a significant other now that I think of it...

Think - if there truly was a way to make the factory non-nav head unit play aux devices without compromising sound quality, do you think all these people would have bought an aftermarket head unit?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM

I really need confirmation as to if it would be worth the swap to go from wireless FM to wired. Is the sound quality and/or volume better if I opt for wired?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Forum Regular

I did not find a useful improvement going from wireless to wired FM modulation. That's why I ditched the whole idea of using FM modulation and replaced my head unit. Read my write-up and see what I said (click the picture below).

More...

I have since then ditched the Drive+Play to integrate the iPod into the head unit controls for a cleaner install. But I have to say, with the Drive+PLay hardwired to the new head unit, it sounded 100 times better than with the FM modulation (wireless OR wired).

Old 09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular

I really need confirmation as to if it would be worth the swap to go from wireless FM to wired. Is the sound quality and/or volume better if I opt for wired?

A friend of mine did this in his older model M3. I would say it's not worth it. The sound was better but not by much. Some of your better custom shops can change the stereo and overlay our head unit. I'm leaning toward this option because I am way to picky to pick a non-matching deck. The place that painted my console will do it I just have to bring my car back to get a estimate.

I'm still surprised they never added this as a factory option, especially in the 07-08 models now. At this point even Kia's have a auxiliary input.