Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Factory Amp Problems

Old 09-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Amp Problems

I'm having an extrememly annoying problem with the amp in the car. It keeps blowing fuse 23. If I leave the harness unplugged, I get about 12v at the harness, and everything looks fine. As soon as I plug the harness into the amp, the fuse goes.

I've taken the amp out of the car, and took the case apart to see if I saw anything obvious, but nothing really stood out.

If anyone has any other suggestions for something I might have overlooked, I'd love to hear them...

I've posted in the "For Sale" section too, if anyone has one they can spare.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Factory Amp Problems

Xfire_Repair_8a-Audio.pdf

please see pages 4-6 to troubleshoot your problem

Old 09-27-2008, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by manisusmc
please see pages 4-6 to troubleshoot your problem
I actually downloaded all of the PDF files, and that's how I determined that I was getting 12v at the amp and that fuse 23 was the one that kept going out.

I was just wondering if it was possible that I had a wiring short somewhere else that could cause this? The fuse is fine if I check the voltage with a meter. But as soon as I plug in the wire harness to the amp, it goes.

I found an amp at a salvage yard, but they still want $150 for it!

Old 09-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are more tests to do other than checking for 12 volts there, i think there was 3 or 4 more tests and then if you can't find the problem after those tests,then it suggests replacing the amp.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grant
I actually downloaded all of the PDF files, and that's how I determined that I was getting 12v at the amp and that fuse 23 was the one that kept going out.

I was just wondering if it was possible that I had a wiring short somewhere else that could cause this? The fuse is fine if I check the voltage with a meter. But as soon as I plug in the wire harness to the amp, it goes.

I found an amp at a salvage yard, but they still want $150 for it!
I just bought a Denon amp on ebay (800 watt) for $120 maybe you should go this way

Steve

Old 09-27-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by stevieb
I just bought a Denon amp on ebay (800 watt) for $120 maybe you should go this way
Yeah, I was just hoping to not have to rewire everything. If I replace the factory amp with an aftermarket, I'm assuming I'll either have to run all new speaker wires, OR hack into the factory harness for the speaker out wires?

I was planning on replacing the headunit soon with a bluetooth compatible receiver, but I hadn't really planned on doing anything beyond using the adapter to connect it to the factory harness and amp.

I'd like to be able to easily return it to stock if I ended up selling the car one day.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grant
Yeah, I was just hoping to not have to rewire everything. If I replace the factory amp with an aftermarket, I'm assuming I'll either have to run all new speaker wires, OR hack into the factory harness for the speaker out wires?

I was planning on replacing the headunit soon with a bluetooth compatible receiver, but I hadn't really planned on doing anything beyond using the adapter to connect it to the factory harness and amp.

I'd like to be able to easily return it to stock if I ended up selling the car one day.
I just fitted my new amp today.
If you have a new head unit to fit the wiring doesnt take long at all, and the sound is sooooooo much better!

Seriously though the standard amp aint that great.

Steve