Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

What 2 way radios are ok ?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What 2 way radios are ok ?

Wanting to get some 2 way radios to use a Tail of the Dragon are these Ok ? If not which ones are. Thanks Dan. http://www.buy.com/prod/midland-x-tr...ml?dcaid=15891

Old 01-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: What 2 way radios are ok ?

Those radios should do fine for the Dragon. I don't know much about the Midlands, I now own 4 Motorolas.

One thing I have learned, is that the advertised range is for the upper channels only, 15 thru 22 (high power GMRS). Channel 1 thru 14 are considered FRS which is low power. I assume the Midlands are the same?

My point is that if anyone in the group has an older set (which only goes up to 14), we will have stay on the low power channel (1 thru 14) which shouldn't be a problem, just we won't be using the full potential of the radios.

James

Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James1549
Those radios should do fine for the Dragon. I don't know much about the Midlands, I now own 4 Motorolas.

One thing I have learned, is that the advertised range is for the upper channels only, 15 thru 22 (high power GMRS). Channel 1 thru 14 are considered FRS which is low power. I assume the Midlands are the same?

My point is that if anyone in the group has an older set (which only goes up to 14), we will have stay on the low power channel (1 thru 14) which shouldn't be a problem, just we won't be using the full potential of the radios.

James
Some of the GMRS channels require FCC license - basically the long range frequencies.

Here's my take on the radios:

Write Up

Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I hope the FCC doesn't decide to do the Dragon the same time we do

Latest Updates on GMRS Licensing

August 21, 2004
  • As of August 10, 2004, the "application fee" for a new or renewed GMRS license) increased from $$50 to $55. For a five-year GMRS license, this results in a $5 increase, from $75 to $80.

Last edited by James1549; 01-22-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James1549
I hope the FCC doesn't decide to do the Dragon the same time we do

Latest Updates on GMRS Licensing

August 21, 2004
  • As of August 10, 2004, the "application fee" for a new or renewed GMRS license) increased from $$50 to $55. For a five-year GMRS license, this results in a $5 increase, from $75 to $80.
Wow - a whole $16 per year to comply with federal law... Comes with free Call letters (I'm WQHI891). You'd be surprised who's listening...

Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought a set of cobra "12 mile" radios at walmart a little over a year ago and you are lucky to get 1/2 a mile range out of them. I would stay away from the cobra brand, they are also famous for making the worst radar detectors also.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
i bought a set of cobra "12 mile" radios at walmart a little over a year ago and you are lucky to get 1/2 a mile range out of them. I would stay away from the cobra brand, they are also famous for making the worst radar detectors also.
I wholeheartedly agree that Cobra radar detectors are rubbish (see my review). But my experience with the GMRS radios has been quite different. For that matter my experience with my Cobra CB has also been quite different. In both cases, the Cobra radios have performed up to the capabilities promised.

The GMRS radios, operating on the licensed, high power bands, with a full charge, give useful range. It must be remembered that the "12 mile" rating is explained in the manual. Generally this represents the maximum possible range under ideal conditions. As soon as conditions deteriorate, you get considerably less.

That means, as soon as you no longer have line-of-sight, atmospheric interference, low batteries, use the low-power frequencies (or leave the radio in low power on the high-power frequencies), geographic obstacles (hills, rock, etc) you are going to lose range. Also, the "12 mile" range is with squelch OFF. That means you have RF noise as well as the signal of people talking. This increases the range you can communicate though it will not be as crystal clear as with squelch on. With squelch turned on, the radio will not let you hear weak transmissions, so you may not realize you have greater range.

We routinely use the Cobra radios from car-to-car on long trips. We use them when we go shopping, to zoos, basically to any activity where we might get separated. It's more reliable than cell-phones under many circumstances. I have had clear conversations at over 2 miles using the licensed, high-power frequencies. Even with a ridge between me and the other party, I can communicate over a mile.

We often send the kids out to play with the radios. This enables them to stay in touch with us at home and increases the range that we feel comfortable letting them go. We have twice had incidents where the kids called for help and we were able to respond a lot more quickly than if one of them had tried to make it home. In both cases the kids were over a mile away. We live in a very mountainous area so to me that's great range for a low-priced radio.

As an aside, I have had times where I have communicated over 10 miles with the Cobra CB. In those cases, I was atop a mountain and the other party was in a line of sight below. The radios were properly tuned (SWR) and had large ground planes.

You just won't get good performance out of any radio if conditions aren't right, if the radio is not set up properly, if the batteries are low, or for whatever reason, the radio is not set to operate on high-power.

I wouldn't expect to ever get 12 miles out of any but perhaps the very most expensive GMRS radios - they're just too small to pull that off in a practical sense.

If you're looking for a radio you can live with losing or breaking, and you are good with 1-3 miles of useful range (depending on conditions) then I maintain that the radios I got will work just fine. If you really need 12 miles range, you probably want to go to VHF or Ham, and the license that goes with them.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ppro
I wholeheartedly agree that Cobra radar detectors are rubbish (see my review). But my experience with the GMRS radios has been quite different. For that matter my experience with my Cobra CB has also been quite different. In both cases, the Cobra radios have performed up to the capabilities promised.

The GMRS radios, operating on the licensed, high power bands, with a full charge, give useful range. It must be remembered that the "12 mile" rating is explained in the manual. Generally this represents the maximum possible range under ideal conditions. As soon as conditions deteriorate, you get considerably less.

That means, as soon as you no longer have line-of-sight, atmospheric interference, low batteries, use the low-power frequencies (or leave the radio in low power on the high-power frequencies), geographic obstacles (hills, rock, etc) you are going to lose range. Also, the "12 mile" range is with squelch OFF. That means you have RF noise as well as the signal of people talking. This increases the range you can communicate though it will not be as crystal clear as with squelch on. With squelch turned on, the radio will not let you hear weak transmissions, so you may not realize you have greater range.

We routinely use the Cobra radios from car-to-car on long trips. We use them when we go shopping, to zoos, basically to any activity where we might get separated. It's more reliable than cell-phones under many circumstances. I have had clear conversations at over 2 miles using the licensed, high-power frequencies. Even with a ridge between me and the other party, I can communicate over a mile.

We often send the kids out to play with the radios. This enables them to stay in touch with us at home and increases the range that we feel comfortable letting them go. We have twice had incidents where the kids called for help and we were able to respond a lot more quickly than if one of them had tried to make it home. In both cases the kids were over a mile away. We live in a very mountainous area so to me that's great range for a low-priced radio.

As an aside, I have had times where I have communicated over 10 miles with the Cobra CB. In those cases, I was atop a mountain and the other party was in a line of sight below. The radios were properly tuned (SWR) and had large ground planes.

You just won't get good performance out of any radio if conditions aren't right, if the radio is not set up properly, if the batteries are low, or for whatever reason, the radio is not set to operate on high-power.

I wouldn't expect to ever get 12 miles out of any but perhaps the very most expensive GMRS radios - they're just too small to pull that off in a practical sense.

If you're looking for a radio you can live with losing or breaking, and you are good with 1-3 miles of useful range (depending on conditions) then I maintain that the radios I got will work just fine. If you really need 12 miles range, you probably want to go to VHF or Ham, and the license that goes with them.
The "12 mile" cobras I have do not have as good of a range as my 8 year old radio shack cheapies that are claimed to have a 3 mile range lol. I understand that the "12 mile" range is based off of using them in an open field with no power lines in perfect conditions but they should have more than a 1/2 a mile or less range lol. Especially considering they do not have as good of a range as an old set I bought from radio shack years ago for $15.

Did you do those writeups?

Also, have you ever tried these: http://www.amazon.com/Midland-Outfit...2909750&sr=8-2

Other than being camo they look like they may be very nice.

Last edited by mrphotoman; 01-25-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Did you do those writeups?
I don't understand your question.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My $.02 - I've had several FRS radios and now have FRS/GMRS set. It boasts 15 mile range. I don't recall the brand but I did a lot of research when buying them. FRS and GMRS are different. When you buy one of these cheap transcievers, you usually get a fixed antenna. The article I read stated that you will never get optinum performance when getting these radios as they are made for the masses. With that said, the set I bought has 3 power modes on GMRS - 500mw (FRS output and legal without a license). 2watt and 5watt for GMRS only. I believe FCC law states you need a lic for anything 1watt and above. the 2watt setting is suppose to save battery life. while i don't expect these things to go 15 miles in everyday use, they are good for about anything I need a radio for - mostly hunting and keeping up with family members. the article I read also stated that FRS is not a good freq band for moving cars. I don't recall the article or the reasons but i used 2 radios on a family reunion trip to SD and found them very good to keep up with my sister's family in another car.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Forum Regular
Default FCC GMRS regulations

Captioned here for reference is the GMRS license info from the FCC.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...general_mobile
Originally Posted by Fedral Communications Commission

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a land-mobile radio service available for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179). Normally, as a GMRS system licensee, you and your family members would communicate among yourselves over the general area of your residence or during recreational group outings, such as camping or hiking.
The FCC grants five-year renewable licenses for GMRS Systems. The individual licensee is responsible for the proper operations of the licensed GMRS system at all times.

FRS/GMRS Dual Service Radios

Some manufacturers have received approval to market radios that are certified for use in both the Family Radio Service (FRS) and the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS). Other manufacturers have received approval of their radios under the GMRS rules, but market them as FRS/GMRS radios on the basis that:
  • Some channels are authorized to both services, or
  • A user of the radio may communicate with stations in the other service.
Radios marketed as "FRS/GMRS" or "dual-service radios" are available from many manufacturers and many retail or discount stores. The manual that comes with the radio, or the label placed on it by the manufacturer, should indicate the service the unit is certified for. If you cannot determine what service the unit may be used in, contact the manufacturer.
If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios have a maximum power of ½ watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have detachable antennas.

Licensing

Before any station transmits on any channel authorized in the GMRS from any point within or over the territorial limits of any area where the FCC regulates radio services, the responsible party must obtain a license. The FCC usually grants GMRS system licenses for a five-year term. To apply for a GMRS system license, you may file online through the Universal Licensing System (ULS), or file FCC Form 605 manually. New filers can learn more about ULS in its getting started tutorials. See Fee Requirements for FCC Form 605 (pdf) for current licensing fee information.
Generally, if the radio has GMRS capabilities, you are required to have a FCC GMRS license (believe it or not) even if you don't use the GMRS channels - simply because "you could". This is typical legislation to remove any defense that "I had it but I didn't use it". Kind of like recent defense that "I smoked but I didn't inhale."...

For roughly a buck a person somebody in the group could get a license, establish a "family plus guests" string of relationships, and legitimize use of GMRS for the outing... A side benefit of this is the ability to kick pirates off the frequency if they're not licensed... I have found it gets really quiet on the channel when a comment about it requiring a license is uttered. Many people using GMRS frequencies are not licensed so it's a great way to clear a space when things get crowded...

Last edited by ppro; 01-26-2009 at 08:07 AM.