Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

old post, new progress!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: old post, new progress!!!

Originally Posted by 07bluezx14
what brand of 12 are you installing? I can't complain about mine. Why do some people dislike capacitors? Hell mine came with a digital volt meter, for 60 bucks. Good luck with your build. and thanks again, chris

What size tires are you running up front? The dealer that I bought mine from had just put on chrome 19"s all around, but only put 215/35/19's up front, which leaves atleast a 1/4" of wheel exposed to gravel and everything else on the road.
As far as tires, I went with 235/30-20's up front and 275/30-20's in the rear, 8" wide in front with 1.5" lip and 10" wide in rear with 3.5" lip, look excellent But there isn't enough clearance in the front or rear to even get your finger in between certain spots.

Believe it or not, I have been able to finesse the box out of my old vehicle into the XF. I will now be running 2 12" type R Alpine's in a slot ported box (takes up about 90% of the trunk). I know this may be overkill, so i am going to add another set of components in the factory subs spot (no factory subs - base coupe) and mount the tweets right below the seatbelt spot for imaging. If the 2 are too much, I will pull one, but I want to have some fun first.

Can anyone provide me pics or info on exactly how they ran power, RCAs, remote, etc. I am aware of the grommet, but I was speaker more of throughout the car and getting it into the trunk and under passenger's seat. THANKS.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could help you out, but I found it easier to have the stero shop do it, and they said it was kind of a pain getting everything apart. How much truth there is to that I don't know. My power, rca, and remote wire, pop out at the bottom of the panel behind the drivers seat, where they mounted my amp. The speaker wires, then pop up in the trunk, on the same side as the amp. Hopefully someone will post a link for you. good luck, chris
Other than 20's vs. 19's, the lip and width seem about the same, as my wheels, I was hoping a 235/35 would fit up front. Then again, it would look better dropped a little, but after the cobra, which was 2" up front, and 1.75 out back, I had maybe the heigth of a pack of smokes, between the ground, and the transmission crossmember. But I'll figure that out later. once again good luck!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular

My headlights are doing it again *%$#!. I still need to upgrade the alternator to ground, and engine to ground, wires. Hopefully that will fix it. Be warned when installing a system in these cars!!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 07bluezx14
My headlights are doing it again *%$#!. I still need to upgrade the alternator to ground, and engine to ground, wires. Hopefully that will fix it. Be warned when installing a system in these cars!!!!
Did you have the issue immediately, or did it develop over time?

Dh

Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 AM

sorry i havent been on in a lil while work has been super busy.. as for the issues with the charging system. all german cars have these problems when adding aftermarket equipment. some worse than others.. the worst that i have seen are vw and audi. they not only have tyhe dim light issues but also pick up noise easily. i am not toaly sure whay they are so bad, but im guessing it has to do with the way they have the car grounded and they set up of their power distribution.. i have seen these cars with the factory monsoon system have dim lights when volume is at max levels... as for our cars... the system is not installed in mine yet, so i have no info about what the right fix will be.. in my old crossfire that i did have a system in by doing engine ground altinator and battery i have very little dimming.. so im sure in this one it will be the same.. now i was only running a 300watt zapco amp in my last one. which have great power regulation in it with a small current draw.. if you are running a lower line amp.. ie sony, jvc, pioneer, dual and so on. they tend to have high current draw.. also a lot of high line class d amps tend to have very high current draw. but that is the sacrafice for the power.. now there is some companys that offer high power amps with low current draw but you pay the price for them.. look into arc audio.. they use whats called class gh. gh is the power of class d with the clarity of a class ab. they are the only ones with this technology. it is patened. if you are into car audio then you know the name robert zeff. he used to be the cheif designer of zapco. when he sold the company he started arc audio using his new technology.. they are athers out there that are not class gh but still offer low current draw.. focal is one but very pricy and also steg. steg is a italian company and very expensive but very high quality... the cheepest of the high lines are of course alpine jl rockford memphis and so on.. all very good amps but high current draw.. so there is no easy cheep fix to make everything go away... so check the specs of your amp and look at peak current draw.. do your ground upgrades, ( i sudgest doing them even if your not running a stero for max current threw the whole car) and have a shop do the install for the amp, and make sure your getting a quality amp with low current draw.. and be awaare of the cheep amps out there boasting 1000w for only 200 bucks... you get what you pay for in car audio.. let me know if this helped you out...