Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

weird radio problem

Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird radio problem

Hi all

My radio sometimes will not turn on after I start the car, It seems when I stop and cut the ignition it turns on and no problems.
But now and again it will not function,the chrysler emblem lights up but no player, either radio or cd. I can turn it off and light goes out turn it on light on no radio/cd....but only every now and then otherwise works great.

anyone else with a problem like this??

cheers....Maz.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wierd radio problem

Originally Posted by maznonno
Hi all

My radio sometimes will not turn on after I start the car, It seems when I stop and cut the ignition it turns on and no problems.
But now and again it will not function,the chrysler emblem lights up but no player, either radio or cd. I can turn it off and light goes out turn it on light on no radio/cd....but only every now and then otherwise works great.

cheers....Maz.
Several have reported this pattern and eventually find their stereo stops working though all lights and functions appear OK. In the reported cases (including mine) the root cause was the power amplifier under the floor on the passenger side. It's easy to swap out when it finally dies, and can be acquired on eBay.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Default Re: wierd radio problem

Originally Posted by ppro
Several have reported this pattern and eventually find their stereo stops working though all lights and functions appear OK. In the reported cases (including mine) the root cause was the power amplifier under the floor on the passenger side. It's easy to swap out when it finally dies, and can be acquired on eBay.
Thanks for the tip....hopefully it will hang in there for awhile!!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Default Re: weird radio problem

Mine does something similar...
when the car is on it will light up and flash "CHRYSLER" and thats all it does i can't make it do anything else and i can't shut it off. Would this also be the power amplifier? or could it be a problem with the head unit?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeUnger05
Mine does something similar...
when the car is on it will light up and flash "CHRYSLER" and thats all it does i can't make it do anything else and i can't shut it off. Would this also be the power amplifier? or could it be a problem with the head unit?
I'm having the same problem. My radio just stop working last night on way back from a long trip. Even if the car is turned off, the radio stays illuminated and keeps displaying the word "CHRYSLER", even when the park lights are turned off.

What do you think could be the problem?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:30 AM

my would shut off when the car was turned off, and sometimes it wouldn't do it at all. I never did figure out what was wrong with it. i ended up replacing the head unit with a Blaupunkt St. Louis MP56

Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 AM

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']I've only had my car for a week. It’s a 2005 base model roadster. I first noticed the problem after the temperature dropped drastically (From about 70 to 40). I don't know if the two are related. I have installed car audio for about 12 years now. I'm sure I can trouble shoot the problem eventually. I don’t know how the amp could cause the radio to not display the radio or cd functions unless they were interconnected in some way (other than just low level speaker outputs going into the amp). Usually when an amp fails you just lose your sound and the radio display functions normally. The problem seems to be in the deck itself but I could be wrong. I haven't had the oppurtunity to look intot he problem yet. If the problem persists I have a friend that is a tech. If he can find the bad component, I will update the forum. [/FONT]

Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 PM

I don't think it was the amp either. Like i said i put the Blaupunkt St. Louis MP56 in and i have never had a problem with it. i never did anything with the amp and dont plan to.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 AM

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Well I go out the next morning and it works perfect. The temperature is the same (40*F) as when the problem happened originally, so I doubt that they are related. To fix the problem, the radio needs to be acting up for the tech. Intermittent problems are the worst to troubleshoot. I can already tell that this is going to be a frustrating problem. I don't know what sets these things off yet. It has only happened once for me. My problem is the same as everyone else’s (Screen illuminates and says either "CHRYSER" or nothing at all and is not responsive to any buttons except power and eject). I have not had a problem with the unit not powering off however. I really would like to keep from purchasing an aftermarket radio. I want to keep this car as factory as possible. Hopefully next time it will stay locked up long enough to cruise by the shop for the tech to look at it. [/FONT]

Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 PM

I am having same problem with radio, "Chrysler" lights up and that's it. No sound. Is the suggestion to change the power amplifier? Have any of you done this and did this correct the problem? Also, what exact part (power amplifier) is needed (from ebay) ?? Thanks so much for any info??

Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Forum Regular

I didn't replace the power head. Maybe your switch for the power is not right.

I replaced rear speakers coming right out of the amp and placed them on the rear crossbar. You can see my Crossfire on

Http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/

ppro

Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ppro
I didn't replace the power head. Maybe your switch for the power is not right.

I replaced rear speakers coming right out of the amp and placed them on the rear crossbar. You can see my Crossfire on

Http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/

ppro
Thanks for the reply, when you mention "switch for the power", are you referring to the power feed to the radio or the actual push on/off button on the radio? When I drove home yesterday, radio worked. Makes no sense. Any additional info would be appreciated, Thanks, BisB.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now i have a question as well... If you want to replace the head unit with an aftermarket one.. Do you wire the aftermarket radio speaker wires to the inputs to the amplifier or to the outputs of the amplifier?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jamerian
Now i have a question as well... If you want to replace the head unit with an aftermarket one.. Do you wire the aftermarket radio speaker wires to the inputs to the amplifier or to the outputs of the amplifier?
I have had 4 different head units in my XF over the past 18 months and every time I've. Just done a straight plug and play on the iso block. No adapters or looms nada.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 550 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by BisB
I am having same problem with radio, "Chrysler" lights up and that's it. No sound. Is the suggestion to change the power amplifier? Have any of you done this and did this correct the problem? Also, what exact part (power amplifier) is needed (from ebay) ?? Thanks so much for any info??
Try this as it has worked before. (click)

Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Kilmouski
I have had 4 different head units in my XF over the past 18 months and every time I've. Just done a straight plug and play on the iso block. No adapters or looms nada.
How loud is it? I saw another thread where the attch the low level preouts to reduce noise.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jamerian
How loud is it? I saw another thread where the attch the low level preouts to reduce noise.
Just done the spliting into 4 channels< and it is F****** loud, so much so that the Missus keeps moaning when she gets in it that I'm trying to deafen her.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Kilmouski
Just done the spliting into 4 channels< and it is F****** loud, so much so that the Missus keeps moaning when she gets in it that I'm trying to deafen her.

I've always said it was well worth the time and effort.. even if you just get a Head unit in.. go back later when you have some time..

Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Loud ? Let me put it this way: Am hearing impaired, over 60db down. Without prosthetics I usually turn factory radios near max.

Connected the Clarion M303 as suggested in the install thread, front only. It goes to 40. 20 is more than plenty.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by maznonno
Hi all

cheers....Maz.
just slide something in the side of it and pull it almost out then push it back in firmly

Quick Reply: weird radio problem