Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Direct ipod connection to car stereo

Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct ipod connection to car stereo

I have a 2008 crossfire coupe and would like to know if there is a way to directly connect an ipod to the stock car stereo. I tryed these FM frequencey finders and the reception is poor at best. I simply want to use the stereo speakers to listen to quality sound from the ipod.
Thank you,
Ken

Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Re: Direct ipod connection to car stereo

Check out this thread.

THREAD

Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the previous thread. If you don't have a navi radio there is nothing you can do. My frustration with this was eliminated when I installed an I-Pod friendly Alpine 3 years ago. There are a number of really nice stereo's available that will play your I -pod.
Pat

Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by patpur
Read the previous thread. If you don't have a navi radio there is nothing you can do. My frustration with this was eliminated when I installed an I-Pod friendly Alpine 3 years ago. There are a number of really nice stereo's available that will play your I -pod.
Pat
Not true grasshopper -

One could purchase this device from bipesauto - it's plug-and-play (and a bit pricey) - but it just bypasses your car radio and feeds the signal from your external device directly to the amp. You have to use your device for controls.

He also make a pretty cool "one-touch" device for your convertable top.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

You learn something new everyday. Haven't seen anyone here mention that? My guess is you have to control from the device and not your car unit? That's a plus of switching out. Most of the new units allow you to control the ipod from the actual car stereo. Price is also a consideration. How much is that unit? You can buy some really nice stereos, Ipod friendly for under $200. Thanks for that though Brian, more choices for folks.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Not true grasshopper -

One could purchase this device from bipesauto - it's plug-and-play (and a bit pricey) - but it just bypasses your car radio and feeds the signal from your external device directly to the amp. You have to use your device for controls.

He also make a pretty cool "one-touch" device for your convertable top.
Not sure how the by-pass is made but I'd take a gander that it's way too much money for what's in the box. If this is of interest to people, I will see about making something that would let you even control the volume from the radio but we'll have to see how it works. Something like this I would guestimate could be made for somewhere in the neighborhood of $70-$80.

As for the vario-top "one-touch" device, it's not compatible with our cars and was the reason for me working on the Quick-Touch Top. BTW, the Quick-Touch Top is a 5 wire install and while it doesn't do keyless top operation (don't understand a benefit of it since you have to manually latch/unlatch the top anyways) it does do express up and down of the windows.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:17 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by patpur
You learn something new everyday. Haven't seen anyone here mention that? My guess is you have to control from the device and not your car unit? That's a plus of switching out. Most of the new units allow you to control the ipod from the actual car stereo. Price is also a consideration. How much is that unit? You can buy some really nice stereos, Ipod friendly for under $200. Thanks for that though Brian, more choices for folks.
I agree - I think I would rather put the $$ ($110) towards nice 4 Channel HU W/BT & Sub preamps - but the Bipes unit also doubles has a hands free phone.

For my truck - I found a CD changer-to-iPhone interface cable (only $8 shipped) on ebay that works great. Signal goes into the HU (via the CD changer jack) and you can control volume, tone etc.. from the stereo - but I still have to switch songs (or Pandora stations) from the IP. With my handy dandy $15 dash mount (and custom installed charging cable) it's real handy, easy to see and reach - plus it mutes the music and doubles as a hands free phone, using the built-in IP mic..

I already had a great 4 CH stereo, amps, speakers in my truck (but incompatible USB port) so for $8 it's a great solution.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 07-27-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by rcompart
Not sure how the by-pass is made but I'd take a gander that it's way too much money for what's in the box. If this is of interest to people, I will see about making something that would let you even control the volume from the radio but we'll have to see how it works. Something like this I would guestimate could be made for somewhere in the neighborhood of $70-$80.

As for the vario-top "one-touch" device, it's not compatible with our cars and was the reason for me working on the Quick-Touch Top. BTW, the Quick-Touch Top is a 5 wire install and while it doesn't do keyless top operation (don't understand a benefit of it since you have to manually latch/unlatch the top anyways) it does do express up and down of the windows.

Electronically - you switch your stereo off and plug in and power up your iPod/iPhone/MP3 player and the interface box switches on the amp and away you go... Power on your stereo and the interface box switches back to the radio...

Solisto also makes a CD interface for Chrysler OEM stereos equipped with a CD changer for around $150.00 with cable - but you have to mess with purchasing overseas. (unless you can find their USA distributer) But it offers lots of different input options...

Last edited by BrianBrave; 07-27-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is actually the company I've been working with for our units. They don't work out of the box with our NAV radio though and they do NOT work with the radios they have listed at all.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by rcompart
This is actually the company I've been working with for our units. They don't work out of the box with our NAV radio though and they do NOT work with the radios they have listed at all.
Thanks Rudy -

I emailed Solisto and they told me it was compatible. But I didn't ask if they back that up with a guarantee? Always a risk working with overseas vendors...

I was considering buying this used 4 ch with remote CD and bass preamp stereo unit from Becker (no NAV) and doing a face swap. (another member has already done this)

I found the Solisto website and discovered that their iPod interface for this radio was also compatible with our Chrysler stereos.

I figured their price was low enough that if I screwed up the face swap or the radio was inop... I could sell the iPad interface on the forum or ebay.... ( I use my iPhone for NAV so I'm not interested in a factory NAV unit) but this won't solve my hands free phone issue so ....

Last edited by BrianBrave; 07-28-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

My Alpine has blue tooth? I don't use it but it is compatible. I also use the navi on my Blackberry, think its called VZ Navigation.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Thanks Rudy -

I emailed Solisto and they told me it was compatible. But I didn't ask if they back that up with a guarantee? Always a risk working with overseas vendors...

I was considering buying this used 4 ch with remote CD and bass preamp stereo unit from Becker (no NAV) and doing a face swap. (another member has already done this)

I found the Solisto website and discovered that their iPod interface for this radio was also compatible with our Chrysler stereos.

I figured their price was low enough that if I screwed up the face swap or the radio was inop... I could sell the iPad interface on the forum or ebay.... ( I use my iPhone for NAV so I'm not interested in a factory NAV unit) but this won't solve my hands free phone issue so ....
Go Blaupunkt like I did. Just unplug the old radio and plug the new one in. The wire harness is compatible!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:54 PM

Do you have a picture and the model number of the blaupunkt you put in? I have been looking for a radio with MP3 that is a simple plug and play unit
Thanks
Mark

Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Forum Regular

You could just buy my car and have ipod with stock navi and be way faster and look cooler and have great tunes rolllin at the same time....

Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by RIOT
You could just buy my car and have ipod with stock navi and be way faster and look cooler and have great tunes rolllin at the same time....
Naw - I've got a better NAV program with GMAP on my iPhone - A larger screen.... Plus I want 4 channel output with subwoofer pre amps & Blu Tooth.

I've got no need for a slower, race hammered SRT6 roadster.... but it is nice to know there awaits a plethora of donar cars in the future...