Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Last few ?'s before Headunit install

Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last few ?'s before Headunit install

ok a few simple things id like to know before installing a new headunit
1.Is it true that the oem headunit has no amp in it.
2. if 1 is true would adding a headunit thats at 20w rms push the amp to hard and fry it after awhile or would it just put more of a strain on the speakers.
3. Guesing that it wouldnt fry the amp and would push the speakers more is it a big advantage to using 2 ohm speakers or will 4ohm do just fine, since the amp puts out 2 ohms.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Last few ?'s before Headunit install

1. Yes. Amp is in floor on passenger seat side.
2. Most modern head units have a pre-amp out connector. That is, one that is set to drive an amp, not a speaker. Doesn't yours have a pre-amp out? The guy who sold you your HU should know.
3. Electronics, like A/C, works like magick. Stay as close to OEM specs as possible.
4. Remember "search" is your friend.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 AM

I dont have the headunit yet but it seems that most people dont use the pre outs they just wire the left + - and right + - into the oem wires so i was asking when they do this will it creat problems for your oem amp. and for speakers they dont make 2 ohm speakers really so any thing you replace it with would be 4 ohms.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A few folks have gone to the trouble of using the preamp outs on their new HU's. 99%, like me, just used the speaker level outs. My Pioneer is 17 WRMS as I recall and it just sounds great. A bit louder but not excessive.
I installed 4 ohm Infinity 6.5" 2 ways in the doors and once again-great.

And if you do go with the pre-outs remember that they are RCA coax connector. You'll have to make adaptor cables.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM

Thanks! mostly what i wanted to know, As for my speakers ill be going with NEW INFINITY KAPPA 63.9I 6.5" FULLRANGE ***BRAND NEW!!! - eBay (item 360192730875 end time Aug-21-10 10:37:19 PDT)
Says there 2 ohm i hope so. and for my hu i think i have narrowed it down to KENWOOD KDC-BT645U INDASH CD/AAC/MP3/WMA/BT NEW 2010 - eBay (item 260650308050 end time Aug-20-10 07:39:54 PDT)
Now i really like the alpine x100m alot of people use but for the 300+ price tag it has it lacks bluetooth and a cd player plus i like my usb's on the front Any way thats another post. O ya my subwoofers will be KICKER 10" L5 S10L5 SUB BOX W/ AMP ZX400.1 AMPLIFIER: eBay Motors (item 310240105578 end time Sep-07-10 21:47:42 PDT). Now my last question is after i put the kappas in ill still need a 330 inline filter because the amp is sending to much bass to the speakers and not just the oem speaker producing to much bass on there own.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:20 PM

Your new deck should have a high pass filter that you can turn on to limit the bass reproduction of your front speakers, I would also question the amplifier for your subwoofers, as it seems to be lacking the correct power and the infinity kappa speakers if they are truley 2ohm you will more than likely blow your stock amplifier. or over heat your deck as somtime the resistance backfeeds through and will overheat your deck as well..also don't forget to install a grounding kit to overcome to extra power draw from the stereo. A true 4ga amp kit is recommended as well as making the ground kit 4ga too..

Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the side strake lights. Well done!

Old 09-06-2010, 04:14 AM

As it comes closer to buying my system, 10 days , Im going to go a differnt route and replace all speakers in my car with kicker ks coaxial and componets, ill be taking out the factory subwoofers and custom installing the kickers, also ill be re wireing the whole thing and run all 4 speakers off of a 350w kicker 4 ch amp, the subwoofers will be 2 15in kicker comps running off a 400w rms mono block amp, So far as the headunit its a kenwood x994 and has plenty of crossovers.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by huntsmcgee
As it comes closer to buying my system, 10 days , Im going to go a differnt route and replace all speakers in my car with kicker ks coaxial and componets, ill be taking out the factory subwoofers and custom installing the kickers, also ill be re wireing the whole thing and run all 4 speakers off of a 350w kicker 4 ch amp, the subwoofers will be 2 15in kicker comps running off a 400w rms mono block amp, So far as the headunit its a kenwood x994 and has plenty of crossovers.
You might want to listen to those Kickers side by side with some other speakers. Cool looking speakers, great name... but they don't seem to live up to it. I was highly unimpressed with them.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 PM

I have heard the ks compents and coaxials side by side and i like them so far as the subwoofers i have heard them as well but cant say side by side if there worse or better but the mean reason for getting kicker is i can get really good deals on them. And imo the sound great

Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Soooo...Not to be a kill joy with the kickers..but unless you get them at cost there are waaaaay better brands out there that sound twice as good, at half the price. I've owned a car stereo company for nine years and the kickers just are alot of hype and not worth the money.. And a heads up on the subs,make sure the amplifier max output matches the max wattage of your subs..Your subs will blow quicker by being underpowered rather than over powered...oh..and DYNAMAT!! drop the headliner and slap two sheets of extreme Dynamat on the roof and at least a sheeet and a half inside each door on the door skin and a half a sheet on the inner door. and strip the carpet kit in the trunk and dynamat the hell outta the trunk area and...If your not going to totally fiberglass the heck out of your trunk into a custom box you can actually put polyfill in the "dead" space behind the carpeted trunk panels..A box and a half fits (so about seven pounds) Now the sound deadening is complete and your stereo will sound a billion times better than without!

Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 PM

I dont think im going with the 2 15s more or less 2 12s and im sure i do get the at cost. www.hifisoundconnection.com is where i get my stuff for only 300 bucks i can get a 800w max amp 2 12s in a box and a amp kit sounds like cost to me, Also i agree with the dyno mat although i dont have the ***** to drop my headliner out so ill be putting it in every panal i can get my hand on.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 AM

I dont think im going with the 2 15s more or less 2 12s and im sure i do get the at cost. www.hifisoundconnection.com is where i get my stuff for only 300 bucks i can get a 800w max amp 2 12s in a box and a amp kit sounds like cost to me, Also i agree with the dyno mat although i dont have the ***** to drop my headliner out so ill be putting it in every panal i can get my hand on.
Going for some serious volume, eh?

I'm thinking one 12", or even one 10" sub would be sufficient for the XFire.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM

And im sure one 10,12 would be fine but for some reason im a little ocd about symmetry. So i feel like 2 12s would look better

Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joliet John
Going for some serious volume, eh?

I'm thinking one 12", or even one 10" sub would be sufficient for the XFire.
Trust me, John, 2 12's is overkill, especially when they are nice 12s with decent power and a slot ported box

I love them, but my eardrums do not LOL

Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM

And im sure one 10,12 would be fine but for some reason im a little ocd about symmetry. So i feel like 2 12s would look better
Put one sub in the middle.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 PM

lol i guess so can a 2 12s in a box even fit in the trunk, i know width wise it can fit but has any one got the box though the hatch and was able to drop it in. I guess im asking is there enough room to turn a 12in subwoofer box around to lay it down

Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 AM

lol i guess so can a 2 12s in a box even fit in the trunk, i know width wise it can fit but has any one got the box though the hatch and was able to drop it in. I guess im asking is there enough room to turn a 12in subwoofer box around to lay it down
Yes, you can, quite easily depending on the dimensions of the box.

I would show you at the Dragon, but I take the subs out for high speed runs so they will not be coming to NC....

Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Yes, you can, quite easily depending on the dimensions of the box.

I would show you at the Dragon, but I take the subs out for high speed runs so they will not be coming to NC....

Why? Do they slow you down somehow?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
Why? Do they slow you down somehow?
We are talking about a box that weighs somewhere around 150-175 lbs that is directly over the rear axle. When I am going through that Dragon and its severe turns, the last thing in the world I would want is another 200lbs throwing the back end of the car around turns with no guardrail and 200ft drops

Quick Reply: Last few ?'s before Headunit install