Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Show Me Your Box!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Show Me Your Box!

Oh, and the sub can be had on ebay for $190 + $60 shipping. A steal considering that they were something like $800-$900 new and I would still consider them to be worth that. Mine is a 15" and I believe that they are gone now.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by deakinsmith
Actually ebay has probably one of the few 12" left that is new. I believe that Eclipse after going under finally sold off all of the warranty protection stock that they had to a couple of buyers. Look up Eclipse SW9122. It has a solid titanium cone and I believe it is one of the all time best subs. They will also fit in small sealed boxes but are far from shallow. They were made by TC Sounds (have the best sub-woofers in existence) and there are still many subs based on this one. One of the best low end output subs ever and will take 300-1500 watts and turn it into pure sound quality and output. I bought another new 15" and have it in storage I like this sub so much.
Ya i did some ebay searching and found a few 12"s at around $200.
but if I get those then im starting back at square one again!

UPDATE ON DESIGN IDEAS:

I have a few ideas for the placement of both the 12"s and the 10"s (Pionier shallow mount 10's 800W).

First IF i get my Mustang running i will put my 12"s back in it and use the 10s but if the damned car wont run as soon as i would like then the XF will get the 12"s in a new box similar to the box it has now only custom built to fit the trunk, flat with the cones down and use Beiners idea of the plex over to protect them.

Second again all depending on the stang... i will use the 10"s and throw them up on the wall in a "kitty corner" idea to the right and left sides so they point up and in to the hatch. I'm fearing tho that this will hurt the= overall sound as its going to be bouncing all over the trunk then over the wall to me... IDK any ideas would be great!

Thirdly I really like Beaners full idea of the false floor and plex ... but with the subs only needing 3/4cubic feet for a box and 3.75 inch mounting depth i may have problem getting the width and length of our trunks to be high enough for only 3/4 CF..... i see the problem go like this... the width (right to left) and length (front to back) would have a square footage too big for a height of 3.75 inches to make 3/4 CF that said i would have to work from the height first and figure out how wide and long my box can be to get the correct CF...... I see the idea as a full false floor and no space between the interior wall of the trunk. IDK if it will work lol

anyway tell me what you think and if you have any question feel free to ask!

Last edited by F117NH; 10-22-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by F117NH
... Thirdly I really like Beaners full idea of the false floor and plex ... but with the subs only needing 3/4cubic feet for a box and 3.75 inch mounting depth i may have problem getting the width and length of our trunks to be high enough for only 3/4 CF..... i see the problem go like this... the width (right to left) and length (front to back) would have a square footage too big for a height of 3.75 inches to make 3/4 CF that said i would have to work from the height first and figure out how wide and long my box can be to get the correct CF...... I see the idea as a full false floor and no space between the interior wall of the trunk. IDK if it will work lol

anyway tell me what you think and if you have any question feel free to ask!
I had to use every nook and cranny of space to get mine to be close to 1/cf without making the floor too high. There is probably enough spare room under my floor I could have stashed the amp under it out of sight. (boarder patrole does not like false floors when crossing the Canada/US boarder)

Just see where the sub will fit best in the floor, get a rough length and width measurement and clearence for the magnent from the locations. It is easy to adjust the hight to get the correct cf. If you are making seperate sealed boxes it will be easy. I wish I has my pictures... as for supporting the unused portion of the floor just make a little frame whatever hight you need to be flush with the top of your boxes.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Beaner
I had to use every nook and cranny of space to get mine to be close to 1/cf without making the floor too high. There is probably enough spare room under my floor I could have stashed the amp under it out of sight. (boarder patrole does not like false floors when crossing the Canada/US boarder)

Just see where the sub will fit best in the floor, get a rough length and width measurement and clearence for the magnent from the locations. It is easy to adjust the hight to get the correct cf. If you are making seperate sealed boxes it will be easy. I wish I has my pictures... as for supporting the unused portion of the floor just make a little frame whatever hight you need to be flush with the top of your boxes.
Sweet i'm prolly gunna be getting the first supplies and fitting this week end, ill take photos...

ANY MORE IDEAS OUT THERE, QUESTIONS FOR SUB/ BOX PROBLEMS?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:08 PM

This box is from my previous vehicle a ford ranger. But it fits in the crossfire and will suffice until I get something prettier fabricated.

The new box for the Xfire will be sealed and incorporate the Passiive Radiator that I recently purchased which can be viewed in the last 3 photos. The Boston is and will still be powered by my Alpine PDX 1.1000 at 4 ohm 1000 watts RMS

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spg555 top view.jpg (352.5 KB, 19 views)
spg555 box front.jpg (327.3 KB, 15 views)
IMG_0627.JPG (1.63 MB, 15 views)
IMG_0631.JPG (2.59 MB, 21 views)
IMG_0632.JPG (1.75 MB, 22 views)
Old 11-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by blackbelt_010892
This box is from my previous vehicle a ford ranger. But it fits in the crossfire and will suffice until I get something prettier fabricated.

The new box for the Xfire will be sealed and incorporate the Passiive Radiator that I recently purchased which can be viewed in the last 3 photos. The Boston is and will still be powered by my Alpine PDX 1.1000 at 4 ohm 1000 watts RMS
Very cool! i really like how slim those Bostons are! how do they hit?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM

DAMN! thats a sexy set up!i wish i had the know-how to make that, not to mention the cash for the amps and subs, but all in all at you price of 2k thats a fare deal! did you make the FG or have it made?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Update:
So I had a snag and a blessing for my system this past week.
I had my amp die on me... sooooo when that happened it made me start taking apart my set up in the trunk... i took out everything but the wires... that said i have made finial choices...

First i took apart my 12"s box to see how deep the cone was on the xplod 12s. Beaner once asked me what the size of them were to see if his set up idea that i'm now copying was viable for the 12s... well they are too big so that at a total high of my over all box would be somewhere around 8 inches tall... too big...

Second i am going to use the shallow Pioneer 10's 800w

Third i have found a new amp, its a 1200w that will be here tomorrow or at the latest Wednesday...

Pioneer GM-D8500M Class D Mono Amplifier w/ 1200-Watt

Fourthly i have calculated my box for each sub to be 18.5" Front the back(deep) 14" right to left (width) and 5" top to bottom (height)
so when finding the Cubic footage of my box, .75cf I had a fixed height i wanted, so i just found a width and deepth that would calculate to .75cf or at least close to it... so 14"x18.5"x5"= 1295" 1295"/1728"=.75cf (1728 is the cubic inches in a cubic foot)

NOW IF THAT'S WRONG PLEASE TELL ME SO I DON'T MESS THIS UP!

anyway i have all of my trunk interior in place, wires hidden and ready, and the calculations made, now i need to get some wood and a 10&1/16" hole saw lol ok maybe not but i have other means!

I will be taking pictures and will have an update soon!

Last edited by F117NH; 11-08-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Very cool! i really like how slim those Bostons are! how do they hit?
The actual woofer itself is not all that shallow... what you see in the last two pictures is just the radiator (no motor/coil/magnet is attached!)

I have been more than satisfied with the SPG555. I hit a 141 Decibel reading at a local competing playing music so that testifies to the amount of output this single sub produces. That reading was done in the Crossfire by the way.
Personally the output of this speaker was not the reason why I purchased the speaker. The sound quality and frequency response is top notch. The speaker moves such vast amounts of air with its nearly 4 inch xmax that you really feel the bass notes punching you in the chest.

Boston developed this sub-woofer to showcase all of their available technologies and engineering expertise and it really shows.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Not really all that pretty but it was all done by me

Attached Images
343.jpg (53.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 AM

This is my build this summer there are more pic in my gallery too https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...l-kenwood.html

Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 AM

@blackbelt_010892: Very cool! i love the look of them and they sound like they can dish out some sound!

@
huntsmcgee: i love it! it looks like you thought it threw and did a good job! hows it hit and did you have any problems with the box build?

@94Bravada: Wow! its great, all of it! i can see that you have put a lot of thought into this system and money to boot! if you don't mind me asking, how much did everything run you, speakers, wood, wiring? I really liked the fabric on the top of the false floor but what is it and will it hold up to damage? if so is your box supported to be able to hold a full trunk of stuff if need be?

Thanks Guys Keep It Up!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 AM

@94Bravada: oh ps hows it hit?

Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 PM

Haha it hits real nice for two 10's all and all I think I have some where around 1000-1500 in it I got it at different times and I got the Bluetooth rearview cam and nav for the deck along with top of the line kenwood highs. The box is made out of 5/8 osb board I think I can't remember off the top of my head the fiberglassed the bottom then there is a top cover made of the same osb board the board was only like 20 bucks at homedepot the vinyl covering on it I got at a local headliner place and it was about 30 it's pretty strong stuff u could put stuff on it for sure it would hold it but I am planning on making a clear cover for when I travel

Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM

OK all my "box" is done but the false floor is on order... laminate flooring... expencive but better then the black **** carpeting i was going to go for... lol

I am currently at work uploading the photos and will have them here asap with a full break down of the build!

keep posted and ill explain everything later.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM

OK all my "box" is done but the false floor is on order... laminate flooring... expencive but better then the black **** carpeting i was going to go for... lol

I am currently at work uploading the photos and will have them here asap with a full break down of the build!

keep posted and ill explain everything later.
Its not pretty yet but in 3 weeks it will!

Again ill explain the full build start to end in detail later. for now back to work...

Old 11-16-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 94Bravada
Haha it hits real nice for two 10's all and all I think I have some where around 1000-1500 in it I got it at different times and I got the Bluetooth rearview cam and nav for the deck along with top of the line kenwood highs. The box is made out of 5/8 osb board I think I can't remember off the top of my head the fiberglassed the bottom then there is a top cover made of the same osb board the board was only like 20 bucks at homedepot the vinyl covering on it I got at a local headliner place and it was about 30 it's pretty strong stuff u could put stuff on it for sure it would hold it but I am planning on making a clear cover for when I travel
All that planning and design...why in earth did you use OSB? It looks awesome don't get me wrong..but OSB? You definitely sacrificed a lot of sound quality by using OSB as a box building material. Anyhow kudos on the looks!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by soundcreationsaz
All that planning and design...why in earth did you use OSB? It looks awesome don't get me wrong..but OSB? You definitely sacrificed a lot of sound quality by using OSB as a box building material. Anyhow kudos on the looks!
What material do you suggest someone use if they were to build a sub enclosure?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_K
What material do you suggest someone use if they were to build a sub enclosure?
I would use a nice thick MDF for your application

Quick Reply: Show Me Your Box!