Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Backup Camera

Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backup Camera

Has anyone successfully installed a backup camera on their Crossfire? I tried to install the Pyle 3.5" one today by wiring it up to the reverse lights and it won't come on when the car goes in reverse. I tested the wiring using a voltmeter and the wiring is getting power, but the camera doesn't turn on. I'm hoping I didn't get a bad unit.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: Backup Camera

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
Has anyone successfully installed a backup camera on their Crossfire? I tried to install the Pyle 3.5" one today by wiring it up to the reverse lights and it won't come on when the car goes in reverse. I tested the wiring using a voltmeter and the wiring is getting power, but the camera doesn't turn on. I'm hoping I didn't get a bad unit.
The wires are hooked up correctly? If you have the wires on the wrong terminal sometimes the electricity cannot flow in that direction due to a diode. Silly answer maybe but that's my only suggestion, sorry.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Is this a "hard" wired unit and not wireless? I have used the wireless units, and tied into the backup wire...but not any hardwired units...

Old 11-27-2010, 03:25 PM

I have a wireless in and it's fine. I scraped the insulation from one of the reverse wires, wrapped the bare ends around that and then taped it all up. Check which wire you have it on.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mdaniels4
I have a wireless in and it's fine. I scraped the insulation from one of the reverse wires, wrapped the bare ends around that and then taped it all up. Check which wire you have it on.
It's a hardwired unit. I'm piggybacking off of the brown wire from the reverse lights for the positive and put the ground on the bolt holding the taillight in.

Is this the right method?

Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
It's a hardwired unit. I'm piggybacking off of the brown wire from the reverse lights for the positive and put the ground on the bolt holding the taillight in.

Is this the right method?
Can you get a curcuit with the brown wire and the ground you are using? I am not too sure but if the bolt is in the light unit it may not be grounded.
Whats wrong with using the tail light ground wire?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Can you get a curcuit with the brown wire and the ground you are using? I am not too sure but if the bolt is in the light unit it may not be grounded.
Whats wrong with using the tail light ground wire?
The tail light is bolted to the body which is metal. It's easier and cleaner to do this than cutting into another wire. There are three wires coming from the reverse light socket, two black wires and one brown wire. I'm getting power to the wiring when using a voltmeter while in reverse, but the camera and monitor are not powering on. I don't get it. I have some experience with working on 12v accessories and custom wiring, and I'm stumped.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the settings on the monitor, when I put mine in after x-mas I will put my ground wire right to the body. I had one on my last ride. I only tapped into power wire for turn signal. I have 5" indash monitor.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 AM

I think that's the problem Tom, not getting a good ground. I stripped both wires and wrapped them separately so they made a complete circuit.