Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Alarm Randomly goes off after driving it.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Randomly goes off after driving it.

Well, i have a new problem that just started two weeks ago, here is some information on the issue. I have read tons of threads on this but everyone's fix is a little different, i am hoping someone can help me pinpoint the issue so i do not get robbed by the dealers.

Background Information:
2004 Crossfire NA with 19,000 miles on it
Car is kept in a garage and has never been driven on anything but a bright, sunny, and warm day!!

Mods:
added lock alert with part from radio shack
added HID lights in the main and fog lights
replaced all interior lights with white lights

Problem:
After driving the car, I will then park it in the garage. After 15 minutes the alarm will suddenly start blaring and can not be shut off by the key fob. The car will unlock, lock, and even start, but the siren will continue to go off. After about 10 minutes of the siren running it will suddenly stop and all is back to normal. It will do this for a few hours, and then be fine. Sometimes it only goes off for a few seconds at a time. It will not go off again until it is driven again. After this, the same process starts all over again. Everything works fine on the car other than this, including headlights, door locks, and no warnings on the instrument panel.

Things tried:
haven't tried to much because i have no idea where to start. I have triple checked to make sure the rear hatch, both doors, glove box, and engine compartment are all shut tightly.

I truly appreciate any help you can give me. The problem with these cars as you can not guess to much, because the bill will rack up fast. Thank you for your time!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Default Re: Alarm Randomly goes off after driving it.

UPDATE
i just walked outside again to see if I could manually set off the panic alarm with the key fob. However, when i set it off the car will do everything its supposed to EXCEPT now the siren won't go off, the care just sits there and flashes in silence. Whenever it randomly goes off the siren still works

Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

How old is your battery?
Things go crazy when our batteries start to fail.
Get it checked (free at most local big car parts places Autozone, PepBoys...)

Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mscard02
UPDATE
i just walked outside again to see if I could manually set off the panic alarm with the key fob. However, when i set it off the car will do everything its supposed to EXCEPT now the siren won't go off, the care just sits there and flashes in silence. Whenever it randomly goes off the siren still works
I had to read this a few times before I got the message. My guess is the siren has failed and needs replacing, siren sounding at times or not.

Another guess would be the parts of the system in the trunk under the foam, water in there?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

From reading your first description, sounds like you only drive it for pleasure.
If you never park it unattended in any danger areas, I'd just unplug the siren and call it a day.

Other than that, you might be looking at a skreem module, a new siren, or as 180 pointed out, the
locking module in the foam under the trunk floorboard might be wet or just plain faulty.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the help! There wouldn't be any water because it has never seen a drop of water other than a hand wash. If I unplug the siren will the lights still blink? Also how hard is it to get to the siren? Thanks again for the help

Old 02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

1. I don't know about the lights still blinking.
From service manual for siren :

1. Remove the windshield wiper arm plastic caps,then remove the nuts and the wiper arms.
2. Remove the seven screws from the cowl grille.
3. Pull back on the cowl grille to release the clips and remove the hoses and connections from the
underside of the cowl grille, then remove the cowl grille from the vehicle.
( might not have to remove it all the way to access the siren connector )

4. Disconnect the siren electrical connector

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-04-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

My guess is the siren went south. Try a new siren, I think its the least expensive item. Check with MrMopar about a siren, he might be able to help you.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Before you go digging around check to see if there are any DTC s (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the anti theft system. If you don't have a OBD tester try an Advance or O'Reilly auto parts store. They may be able to find a DTC and it is free.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Just returned from O'Reilys and the battery came back with no issues at all. I didn't even think about checking the DTC's while i was there so ill probably ride back up tomorrow. I woke up this morning and tried the panic button and everything works perfectly again, including the siren. The only time the siren doesn't work is when you hit the panic button after it goes through one of its episodes with the alarm system randomly going off. I was thinking, if it is a faulty siren then wouldn't that mean that the siren just wouldn't work sometimes but it wouldn't randomly trip the alarm (I could be wrong, you never know with these cars). Would the DTC's show my which sensor tripped the alarm if that is whats responsible?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

If you are a member of CICCI you can get to the service manuals from their home page; Click on the technical library. DTC for the anti theft system is explained. They will lead you to the proper trouble shooting sequence, without spending money on trial & error fixes. I really don't know if the auto parts store OBD tester will come up with anything, but it is the best place to start. My siren stopped working about a year ago. I think the internal battery has died. I have left it alone just because the alarm/siren can be more than just awkward when it goes off at the wrong time.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM

My lights started flashing, side markers and fogs I did not go around and see if any rear lights were flashing but no headlights, when I had my car jacked up the other day to remove a front wheel. It was fine for an hour and then it started flashing, I wondered what the heck caused it and then I saw the hoist switch flashing. So I figured that I had tripped that some how.

The repair manual can be down loaded from this site, there is no need to go to the CICCI site for that. Look in the SRT6 section under the SRT6 Documentation sticky. The SRT6 label is confusing and this thread should be retitled and placed in a better forum. People without SRT's may not bother to go there and the title is a misrepresentation of its contents.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 AM

Did you figure out the problem? My car has started doing the same thing....

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Actually I'm putting the siren on right now. I'll update this later today and let you know how it goes

Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Replaced the siren earlier today and have not had one random alarm incident so far!!!!! Usually it would go off after 10 minutes of driving it so i am very hopeful Big thanks to MrMopar, this guy was awesome to deal with and the part works out great.

A tip when removing the cowl, do not start pulling on it after you remove the wiper blades and screws. There is a connector that needs to be pulled of on the passenger side, two plastic zip ties you need to cut on the front center, and also two connectors you need to un latch(you can feel them with your hand towards the front center. Also, when buying a puller do not go over 3 or 4 inches tall because it will hit your hood and not fit. Good luck to all and thanks a ton for the help guys!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Please keep us posted if this works because we are having the same problem. Wife just had a headlight replaced. I was wondering if they disconnected the battery and maybe something didn't reset properly.Just stated three days ago and now is all the time. It is OK if you don't lock the doors. If you do the alarm sounds , lights flash, sometimes the fob will shut it off other times its a few minutes of embarresment.
Ours is a 2005 with 43000

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by pcozad1
Please keep us posted if this works because we are having the same problem. Wife just had a headlight replaced. I was wondering if they disconnected the battery and maybe something didn't reset properly.Just stated three days ago and now is all the time. It is OK if you don't lock the doors. If you do the alarm sounds , lights flash, sometimes the fob will shut it off other times its a few minutes of embarresment.

It has been several days and not one single random alarm. The difference between our problems was that my fob would not shut the alarm off under any circumstance when it had one of its fits. Also, sometimes the siren would not go off but the lights would flash. Try taking it to somewhere with a reader and see if they can find any security codes.

Last edited by mscard02; 02-21-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Have you checked for water in the well in the trunk behind the passenger? Water in this area can ruin the central locking/security module. It gets wet and all hell breaks loose.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Have you checked for water in the well in the trunk behind the passenger? Water in this area can ruin the central locking/security module. It gets wet and all hell breaks loose.
How do you get the foam blocks out ?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM

How do you get the foam blocks out ?
If you have water there you should be able to see it down the front side (car front) of the foam, you can thread a paper towel down in the deepest area and see if it comes out wet.

Taking the foam out involves removing the trim panels as they sit on the foam.

Quick Reply: Alarm Randomly goes off after driving it.