Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

4V pre-out vs 2.5V pre-out... will it affect me?

Old 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4V pre-out vs 2.5V pre-out... will it affect me?

Hi everyone,

I have read a lot on this audio/video forum and I can't really seem to any conclusion that I like.

I don't really know much about speakers, amplifiers, electronics etc. (computers are more my thing), so bear with me.

I have read numerous posts saying about how 4V minimum is required for pre-outs to make our amplifier happy. This is if you are using the RCA connectors supplied with the harness from crutchfield I think?

I haven't really been able to find a head unit I am absolutely in love with, but, this one may be the winner:

Kenwood KMR-555U Marine CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It's a marine unit and it says it has 2.5V outputs. I do not want to change my speakers (05 limited coupe) or amplifier. If I get the harness with the RCA plugs already attached I am under the impression that I need at least 4V. No go?

Now, I have seem to recall reading about a different harness with no RCA plugs (made by metra if I am not mistaken)... will that be better? Will it be the same predicament? Can anyone shed some light? I don't really want to run new wires from my amplifier etc. either.

My other option is this:

Alpine CDE-HD148BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

but I am not sure if I like it as much..

Can anyone help me out?

Old 07-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 4V pre-out vs 2.5V pre-out... will it affect me?

You only need to worry about having the higher output rca's if you plan on running them to the amplifier instead of the speaker outputs. If you never plan on upgrading anything but the deck then get one you like and just have it installed the way a normal replacement radio would be installed omitting any RCA connection or adapter. The normal radio adapter you buy to install an aftermarket stereo will be sufficient. Just keep in mind that there will only be wiring for 2 speakers on the car side of the plug.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:30 PM

So for the 4V pre outs it is okay to use this connector : Receiver Wire Harness For select 1994-08 Chrysler, Land Rover, Mercedes, and Saab vehicles at Crutchfield.com

For the 2.5V I wouldn't want to use that one.. but instead use this? : http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-Wire-Harness-Plugs-into-Factory-Harness-to-install-Stereo-Radio-/400344529418?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AChrysler%7CModel%3ACrossfire&hash=item5d3664ba0a&vxp=mtr
Basically I want to upgrade my sound system (adding bluetooth, siriusXM, HD radio etc) without losing any sound or features from the original car!

Thank you so much!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use the ebay plug with either stereo. Only those looking to change how the rest of the system sounds will benefit from using the RCA outputs.
I, for example, have split my amplifier inputs and am using 2 sets of RCA's for the factory portion of the system, while using a 3rd set for my add-in sub. I have a deck that is capable of setting different frequency cutoffs for each set of outputs so I can custom tailor how the system works.
My deck has 4.0V rca outputs and the volume is slightly less from the rca connection than it was when I had it hooked up to just the speaker outputs.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Bottom line : You do NOT want to drive the OEM Infinity amp with 2v pre-outs.
That dog just ain't gonna hunt.

( My Anatolians in the below picture came with 8v pre-outs !! - but they don't really need an external amplifier )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 07-14-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFreak69
You can use the ebay plug with either stereo. Only those looking to change how the rest of the system sounds will benefit from using the RCA outputs.
I, for example, have split my amplifier inputs and am using 2 sets of RCA's for the factory portion of the system, while using a 3rd set for my add-in sub. I have a deck that is capable of setting different frequency cutoffs for each set of outputs so I can custom tailor how the system works.
My deck has 4.0V rca outputs and the volume is slightly less from the rca connection than it was when I had it hooked up to just the speaker outputs.
And for example, I am running the speaker leads from the HU, and ran an extra set of wires to the amp for my "front-rear" breakout..(left-right is all you get otherwise).. along with running a bass cannon from the RCA subwoofer connections at the HU. And ditto on the front-rear-sub cutoff capability. 200w HU with the 4v RCA outputs. At 200w the HU can only go to about 25 out of 40 on the volume. Past that there is no increase in volume from the stock amp.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 PM

this is what i have in my slk230 with bose amp and aftermarket becker 7990 head unit ... not sure whether your amp needs high voltage balanced inputs, but this will boost your line voltage to a maximum of 9v RMS, dial in the voltage to match your amplifier requirements; output can be set to balanced or unbalanced, my slk230 factory amp wants balanced (standard RCA is unbalanced)

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/6349...l-Control.html

Last edited by antdavison; 08-23-2013 at 07:53 PM.