Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

kenwood kmr-D558bt

Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default kenwood kmr-D558bt

Just got my new silver head unit in.
Adjusted display color to match dash.
Need to figure out where a good place to put external mic tomorrow. And get the settings figured out tomorrow. Like Bluetooth etc.
With colors matching dash it looks like it was made just for this car
What you guys/gals think?

ForumRunner_20140505_215512.png

Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: kenwood kmr-D558bt

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Just got my new silver head unit in.
Adjusted display color to match dash.
Need to figure out where a good place to put external mic tomorrow. And get the settings figured out tomorrow. Like Bluetooth etc.
With colors matching dash it looks like it was made just for this car
What you guys/gals think?

Attachment 31727
Looks great. Details of install please. Plug and play? Need different harnesses? Etc. Also, how does it sound? Did you change the speakers out too? If not, is the sound quality alot better just with the new head unit? How did you adust the color? Is that part of the functions the head unit allows for from the factory?

Thanks,

Old 05-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this Kenwood and love it. I lost a little control over the base (subs) but it plays iphone everything including pandora.

I located the external mic on the top of the left windshield pillar just to the left of the visor that puts it just above my face when I'm driving. Called my wife with going 50 with the top down and we could hear each other just fine. It looks like it was made for the car.

Good luck with yours.

Roger

Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM

Used scosche vw01b harness matched all the colors except red and yellow needed switched(as per forum stereo installation guide). Just got in from work. Taking a break for a bit the heading out to install mic and play around with adjustments. Have factory speakers right now. But soon (when I have time) will be upgrading all speakers. I have a idea for changing out rear subs. I will post a update and more pics later

Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 PM

Changed color from display settings on new head unit.
Stereo head units are easy to install. Just get some red electrical butt connectors, crimpers&strippers.
I used the scosche vw01b wiring harness.
You will need a pair of Mercedes stereo removal keys. I made mine last night with a pair of tin snips and a empty spike keg.
Have it paired to my android phone listening to slacker ATM and fine tuning settings for what I like.
It does sound better then factory stereo. With factory speakers and amp. But with all the time I spend in my car they will be changed out. If you want any other details just let me know

Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changed color from display settings on new head unit.
Stereo head units are easy to install. Just get some red electrical butt connectors, crimpers&strippers.
You will need a pair of Mercedes stereo removal keys. I made mine last night with a pair of tin snips and a empty spike keg.
Have it paired to my android phone listening to slacker ATM and fine tuning settings for what I like.
It does sound better then factory stereo. With factory speakers and amp. But with all the time I spend in my car they will be changed out. If you want any other details just let me know
thanks for the response and all the information. Very helpful.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Forgot to post pics.
Radio color.
Mic placement above mirror.

ForumRunner_20140506_195412.png

ForumRunner_20140506_195430.png

Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Forgot to post pics.
Radio color.
Mic placement above mirror.

Attachment 31728

Attachment 31729
Can you see the display pretty easily when it is sunny? How did your route the mic to get it above the mirror? Looks great, strongly considering buying one.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ronman
Can you see the display pretty easily when it is sunny? How did your route the mic to get it above the mirror? Looks great, strongly considering buying one.
I routed the mic right of the mirror tucked in headlined then down passenger a pillar, tucked in weatherstripping under glovebox then into the console. I b driving 4 hrs home tomorrow so I will have plenty of time to c how the display is during the day. On this Kenwood I can adjust the mic sensitivity also.
If you want more info on how I routed the mic wire I can try and get pics posted on how & where I routed it

Old 07-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you say you lost some of the bass in the sub??

Old 07-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by austinbarrylee
did you say you lost some of the bass in the sub??
I got a little more and cleaner sound

Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Forum Regular

I got a little more and cleaner sound
I wonder if an non-marine head unit will get a better sound. Do you know. I am confused what the difference is between marine and non-marine head units. I wonder the difference between KDC-BT958HD. How much better does it sound compare to factory.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need a pair of Mercedes stereo removal keys.
Where's the best(least expensive) place online to order these?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Forum Regular

I have the same Radio..i wired mine to the amp using the pre-outs in the back so i would have total control over the speakers. Its sound amazing and the bluetooth comes in crystal clear, my gf says she cannot hear any road noise anymore when she calls me !! And I finally have SIRRUS to listen too... I have to say this is the Best $134 i have spent so far

Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Trenzman
I have the same Radio..i wired mine to the amp using the pre-outs in the back so i would have total control over the speakers. Its sound amazing and the bluetooth comes in crystal clear, my gf says she cannot hear any road noise anymore when she calls me !! And I finally have SIRRUS to listen too... I have to say this is the Best $134 i have spent so far
How much better does it sound compare to factory. I am debating on getting one but i really dont want to lose my nav. The factory to me isnt bad on 35. lol.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by austinbarrylee
How much better does it sound compare to factory. I am debating on getting one but i really dont want to lose my nav. The factory to me isnt bad on 35. lol.
I am using Jabra Freeway as a bluetooth.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:06 AM

I just had the Kenwood kmr-D558bt installed recently. Matches beautifully to silver dash. Sound is great, as good as factory stereo in my opinion. Mounted the mic next to rear view mirror. When the iPhone 5s in connected to the USB to charge, does anyone know how to NOT have the iTunes start playing when you scroll through the stereo menu to get to BT Audio?? Thanks for any direction!

Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

When I installed my Clarion M303, I just ordered everything from Amazon: connector adapter, antenna adapter, keys, & radio. Only annoyance I found with the Clarion is all of the connectors on wire stubs on the back made it difficult to seat the unit in the dash.

What is the back of the Kenwood like ?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Smile Re: kenwood kmr-D558bt

The Kenwood mounted perfectly, no issues with the back of the unit. One detail is that Crutchfield was trying to sell the incorrect adapter for the antenna. This is what Rudy Compart (who installed the stereo) claimed was needed for the Coupe: "The one they are recommending is for a roadster which has a standard whip antenna but you need the one below. The antenna amplifier powers the antenna module in the back window on the coupes and like I said on the phone, no power to the antenna amplifier, no signal to the radio."

Antenna Adapter Works with select 2002-up vehicles with amplified antenna (Motorola male to OEM antenna female) at Crutchfield.com

If anyone has info on how to stop the iTunes from turning on when cycling through the Kenwood menu, this direction would be great.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much better is the sound? That's a very subjective thing. I consider I get bluetooth for my iPhone, pandora, Sirius if I subscribe, and a feature list that goes on and on ...,.. Yeah it sounds better too
Now about Nav... My OEM unit didn't have nav so I lost nothing and I use my iPhone for nav I bought a great vent mount that puts my iPhone horizontal at almost eye level in the center of the dash

Quick Reply: kenwood kmr-D558bt