Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Aftermarket Stereo Audio Quality

Old 04-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo Audio Quality

After replacing my stereo 3 times, I ended up with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X500 Stereo. The previous 2 were Pioneers and I returned them as the audio quality was terrible. I went with the Kenwood because someone on the Facebook group helped me figure out my main issue was the RCA output level was not powerful enough for the stock amp.

The audio quality is better... but I feel like it's still not what I'm expecting it to be. The OEM stereo would have so much bass, my rear window would rattle. I've tried changing almost every setting I could find and tried the "replacing it was the stock radio, level everything out, put the aftermarket stereo back in" and no luck. I also tried using the output converter which seemed to make things a little better, but still not what the OEM stereo provided.

Does anyone know what I'm missing to get that sound quality back?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo Audio Quality

Dunno, the Clarions I have sound much better than Satellite and never want more than 1/2 vol.

It is strange that the amp only uses front L&R so need to bias accordingly unless rewired.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced my Infinity hu with a Kenwood hu, speaker level out to the infinity amp and turned the output from the Kenwood down in settings.
Bass is not lacking , considering their size the woofers do an awesome job.

Are you sure the woofers are actually working ?

I dont like the ergonomics of my kenwood , its difficult to see and the buttons are too crowded. but it does Sound great and has a ton of features.

ymmv

Last edited by daveesrt6; 04-10-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by coryforman

The audio quality is better... but I feel like it's still not what I'm expecting it to be. The OEM stereo would have so much bass, my rear window would rattle.
When I replaced my kenwood I just wired it into the harness I did not use rca, and I thought I got more bass than I had, not near enough for me, but more than I had, did the pyle replacement behind the seat, and got alittle more, then went all out with a 1200x2 amp behind passenger seat ( barely) and boxes and a large pair of 8" subs, and new components in door, with new tweeter mounted on dash beside the a pillars and have factory tweeters running normal with using factory amp and I am more than happy, have all frequencies clearly.
Good for my long drives.

there are more than 1 bass setting on kenwood unit, there is the
bass,
bass boost
and loudness.
Turn all 3 up and you will be overworking those little 6.5s.
Since you said you hooked up factory amp with rca, did you hook them up as rear rca or subwoofer rca then there is another setting on unit for subwoofer lever.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
When I replaced my kenwood I just wired it into the harness I did not use rca, and I thought I got more bass than I had, not near enough for me, but more than I had, did the pyle replacement behind the seat, and got alittle more, then went all out with a 1200x2 amp behind passenger seat ( barely) and boxes and a large pair of 8" subs, and new components in door, with new tweeter mounted on dash beside the a pillars and have factory tweeters running normal with using factory amp and I am more than happy, have all frequencies clearly.
Good for my long drives.

there are more than 1 bass setting on kenwood unit, there is the
bass,
bass boost
and loudness.
Turn all 3 up and you will be overworking those little 6.5s.
Since you said you hooked up factory amp with rca, did you hook them up as rear rca or subwoofer rca then there is another setting on unit for subwoofer lever.
I'm not sure which way I connected it... but I have heard the rear speakers aren't really considered subwoofers and when I change the settings to turn the subwoofers on, I don't notice a difference.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by coryforman

I'm not sure which way I connected it... but I have heard the rear speakers aren't really considered subwoofers and when I change the settings to turn the subwoofers on, I don't notice a difference.
How do you listen to your music, radio, cd or bluetooth?

Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious how this turned out. I ordered a Kenwood HU and I hope for better sound. Any update on your install?

Old 05-18-2017, 07:02 PM

Mine sounds good, but I have
Kenwood kmr-d558bt
Skar tx65c components on factory amp
Skar skv2-1500.1 amp powering
2 Skar vvx -8v3 subwoofers