Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

joying car stereo questions

Old 01-28-2022, 07:20 AM
oli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default joying car stereo questions

Hello ,
i would like to install this
https://www.joyingauto.eu/joying-new...ar-stereo.html
i will add the backup camera

but does it make any sense to add the OBD2 module ?
is there interresting information to display on the screen ?

another question , i saw that there is a third connector at the back of the oem stereo, it's only for amplifier ?

regards

Old 01-28-2022, 07:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Re: joying car stereo questions

Ive installed a bunch of the android double din radios in bmw's but not that particular brand. Unit looks decent. The only issue I have with the radios like that is the hands free phone part is pretty bad compared to factory radios and a few pioneers.

I have the torque app on a few of them and it can be used like your talking about to show information about the car. The key thing about buying an obd2 plugin is to make sure its compatible with the app your planning on running.

I found this reference searching the net.

Yes, I've used the Android Torque app quite a few times in my SLK and especially in my Audi A6. I use an ELM327 OBD-2 adapter for bluetooth connectivity. The combination has always worked well, and the Torque app has had an enormous return on investment for me.

Most recently I was able to see (via Torque) that my intermittent hot-start problem in the SLK was caused by a marginal crankshaft position sensor (P0335). Since the check-engine light resets after 3 successful starts, the only way to know what was happening without trundling over to the local car parts store or the stealership was to have my own code reader. I replaced the part myself; happy ending.
That is on an slk320 which should work like the crossfire.

Here is the thread I found it in.

https://www.slkworld.com/threads/tor...d2-port.31211/

Old 01-28-2022, 07:55 AM
Received 458 Likes on 221 Posts

We have a Joying in one Crossfire, and a Pumpkin Audio in another. Both have their plusses and minuses. IIRC, the Joying has a hands-free that actually works, and the Pumpkin does not. However, like a lot of Chinese radios, there are always flaws, and most of those are in the user interfaces. I would personally keep looking, as that one you are looking at is almost twice as expensive as many other Android radios out there. I just went out and looked, and wow, have prices shot up! Also, I would look more for how much RAM (go for at least 8GB), as that will really determine how quickly the inputs respond to you, more than how new an Android version it is. Often the older versions of Android have the client software more sorted out. There is a really short, stubby bluetooth Elm27 style adapter. It was no more than US$30. I have it plugged in at all times, and run Torque on my radio whenever I need a quick look at what's going on.

Last edited by nemiro; 01-28-2022 at 07:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Brian P (05-13-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:00 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I've also installed a number of Android car Stereo's (1 was a Double DIN Pumpkin, another a "generic" Chinese Flip out stereo). They are all pretty much the same, just different branding.

Also integrated Reverse cameras, OBD2, DAB radio etc. Installed into a Volvo and Smart car (Mercedes).
The UI was quite similar across them all. Don't expect software updates to work. These Stereo's do the job, bit clunky, but good enough.

TORQUE was the No 1 OBD Tool that I found to consistently work. Came with several customizable screens. Would give you Coolant temp, Engine RPM, GPS Speed, etc etc.
There are other App's available that turn your Double DIN display into a full size digital HUD display - Showing just your Speed and Lap timer etc.

The OBD adaptor I used was called " Streetwize OBDII Code Reader for Android and IOS ". Worked well. Had both Bluetooth / WIFI built in.

The USB DAB adaptor that comes with these kits uses a small antenna, about 5 inches long. Sticks to your windscreen. Not great reception, plus would quite often lose reception and you'd just hear static.
DAB-Z was one of the best stable DAB radio App's I found.

If you use a GPS App on the Stereo it'll need a cellular / data connection to be able to report live traffic information - even for navigation (WAZE for example). I used my mobile phone as a hotspot and connected the Stereo to the phone over WIFI..... good while the phone had charge!!
You can also install App's onto the Stereo from the Play store. Again, you'll need to have a WIFI or cellular connection to achieve that.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:34 AM
oli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all these informations

Old 05-17-2022, 05:40 PM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Joying 8.8 project with all the bells and whistles. Waiting for my custom double din assembly to finish it. So far the Joying with Agama car launcher is amazing. These are really high quality.