Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Airbag No Power Fault

Old 05-22-2023, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag No Power Fault

Hey all,

I eluded to this in my intro post, but my Crossfire has an airbag module code that is preventing me from getting it to pass inspection. The airbag light first came on when I had an RCM failure. I went to start the car on a cold fall morning and got a crank but no start on first attempt. With the second attempt, the engine fired right up and ran smoothly, but the dashboard was all lit up. I checked the OBD with a Snap-on Scan tool (that I no longer have access to) and found a metric ton of faults, mostly pertaining to power supply. I popped the RCM board out, soldered a few of the weak looking joints, put it back in, and was able to clear most of the codes. However, I can see a B1003 "Supply Voltage Low - Stored" and B10F6 "Speed Sensor Status Circuit Low - Stored" that don't clear.

So I followed the instructions in the service manual for troubleshooting the ORC. I checked the fuse, to make sure it wasn't blown. Fuse reads at 0 ohms. I plugged the fuse back in, turned on ignition, and I get ~12v at the fuse. I checked the power at the airbag module connector, and I get ~12v. I should note here, however, that I had to extrapolate from the service instructions, as the connector in real life was entirely different from the instructions. See the pictures below for more details. I was able to ohm out the pins on the connector back to the fuse, and found that the second pin in on the top right in the picture (the one with the tester pin in it) had continuity. When I checked that same pin with ignition on, and got ~12v. I forgot to check for a ground pin and continuity there, so I will need to double check that. Does anybody know what pin would be the ground pin? My instructions don't show one and if my connector's different, then it wouldn't be right anyways.

However, from what I've read, the ORC modules are pretty susceptible to ESD and if my RCM sent out a power surge when it popped, I think its pretty likely that the ORC needs replacement. Does this diagnosis sound right? I would like to know I'm heading down the right path before I go ahead and buy a new module and remove the center console.

Thanks!
-Bryan

Last edited by Valk; 05-22-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:59 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Re: Airbag No Power Fault

Once that code is set I do not think it will clear itself from simple driving a cycle similar to some emission CEL lights. Before going to the trouble of getting at the ORC I would get a DRB III scan tool or emulator and clear that code. It may just be that since the RCM is back up and corrected you are fine with the air bag system, but simple need to clear the code. Getting the right scan tool is a job in itself. Good luck!

Old 05-23-2023, 10:04 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Also the TPMS is not required on 2005 model years; you can disable that light in the wiring connector behind the center overhead interior light. I moved that wire and have been driving for 8 years with out the TPMS system.
Read post #3 in this thread: disable TPMS warning light

Old 05-23-2023, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the right scan tool is a job in itself
No kidding, right? From a quick search, it seems like people are recommending the launch CRP123 for a scan tool. Seems like a a good price for it, especially when you look at the price of a DRB III tool. Definitely would like to try this before going through replacing the module, that's for sure.

Also the TPMS is not required on 2005 model years; you can disable that light in the wiring connector behind the center overhead interior light
I like this option the best, as I've already tried new wheel sensors and the module doesn't seem to want to take them. Man, it would be great to have no lights on anymore

Thanks for the pointers!

Last edited by meticulousmaynard; 05-23-2023 at 10:45 AM.