New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Introducing Wernher, my 07 Crossfire

Old 05-22-2023, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introducing Wernher, my 07 Crossfire

Hello all!

I've been a lurker here for almost two years after I got my beautiful, low-mileage '07 coupe. It had two previous owners, the first being a dealership manager and the second being the sweet old man who literally gave me the car. By the time I got the keys, the car was just shy of 13,000 miles. It's all stock, with the 6 speed manual. I've been caring for it and sorting out it's various electrical problems.

Part of why I got it for free was that it was a no start and it kept getting emissions related CEL's. From what I could gather, the emissions faults were simply ECU not ready type errors and the car just needed to be driven. As for the no start, I did my research about the problems with these cars, but the symptoms sounded to me more like a flat battery. I took a look at the car, and it started with a jump pack. I took it home, put it on a lift, went through the suspension and undercarriage but didn't find anything concerning. There were a few areas rodents chewed through wires for things like the oil pressure sensor and a few bulbs, but those were quick repairs. The headliner was coming down, but I just removed it and haven't replaced it yet. I desperately needed a car at the time, so I started dailying it.

Fast forward a few months and about 4,000 miles and the dashboard lights up on me on a particularly cold morning in late fall. Car didn't want to start on first attempt, but it started up the next try. I've never seen so many lights on a dashboard on. It drove, and I was late for an appointment, so I drove it there and back with no further incident. On the return trip, a bunch of lights went out, it was also warmer then. I checked the ECU with a scan tool when I got home and found a ton of "no power" related codes. I knew of the RCM issues that Crossfires have, and I had planning on re-soldering the board at some point as a preventative. I took the RCM out, checked the back, and found some weakened solder joints. I fixed those up, cleaned up the relays, and popped it back in. I cleared the codes with the scan tool, and got rid of almost all of the lights. The only lights remaining are the tire pressure and the airbag light. I've largely ignored those codes, but I do really need to fix the airbag so I can get it to pass inspection again. I do want some help with that, but I'll start a separate thread on that on, so that we don't start crossing the streams.

Before putting it away for this last winter, I did notice the PCV breather caps on top of the valve covers were leaking. I did also take them off, clean them, and reseal them before starting to drive the car this year.

Overall, my Crossfire has been an excellent summer car for me, and I got it at a really convenient time, as my normal daily needed time in the shop to be rehabbed. It feels like a well balanced car, and it has plenty of power and handling. I'm at about 24,000 miles on it now, I just like to drive it. The only thing I don't like is how stiff the ride is, but I have a feeling I could solve a lot of that by going with smaller diameter wheels so I have more sidewall.

Anyways, hope you guys have enjoyed reading my journey so far with Wernher. So far this community has been super helpful as a lurker, thanks to all the knowledgeable folks here taking time out of their days to respond to these forum posts!

-Bryan

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (05-26-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 07:27 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Re: Introducing Wernher, my 07 Crossfire

Congrats on grabbing up a low mileage Crossfire Coupe & welcome to our Forum. Looks like you've learned a lot already from this Forum.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:32 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

The tire pressure light is just dead batteries in the sending units in the wheels. The airbag light probably needs to be reset with the proper tool.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@dedwards0323 This place is a literal treasure trove of information. Definitely takes a little digging, but I've been able to learn so much just from reading.

@ZERACER I forgot to mention in the intro post that I did replace all 4 wheel sensors for TPMS but the module didn't want to take them. Not sure if it was my TMPS tool not communicating or an issue with a module. I'll dig into that one more when I have time, but it doesn't bother me that much. As for the airbag light, I'm inclined to agree with you. I made a separate thread here that focuses specifically on it, and it sounds like there is more effective DRB III tool or emulator than the Snap-on scan tool I had used previously. Definitely would like to go an try and poke it with a computer before I try replacing the airbag module.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:48 AM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

congrats on the new ride, welcome to the forum!

Old 05-23-2023, 01:10 PM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by meticulousmaynard
Thanks for the warm welcome!
ule
@ZERACER I forgot to mention in the intro post that I did replace all 4 wheel sensors for TPMS but the module didn't want to take them. Not sure if it was my TMPS tool not communicating or an issue with a module. I'll dig into that one more when I have time, but it doesn't bother me that much. As for the airbag light, I'm inclined to agree with you. I made a separate thread here that focuses specifically on it, and it sounds like there is more effective DRB III tool or emulator than the Snap-on scan tool I had used previously. Definitely would like to go an try and poke it with a computer before I try replacing the airbag module.
The TPMS Re-Learn has to be done using either a Chrysler tool for the Crossfire (most dealers don't have the tool anymore) or with DRBIII software in conjunction with a TPMS scanner for the wheel sensors or the magnet used to trigger the wheel sensors.

The Airbag light can be reset using some of the better scanners out there. I've had some luck getting my local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store to reset Airbag systems on various cars as they have several high-end scanners they can use and they do it for free! I would doubt the airbag module is at fault. Most likely just a matter of using the proper tooling to get the system to clear & reset.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 05-23-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:16 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome. Yes, there is piles of info here.

As far as your TPMS light goes, I fixed mine with a little piece off flat black electrical tape cut and put over that stupid light and outdated system. There are other ways to shut it off permanently. Some will scoff at my fix but I guess I come from a day when I learned to look at my tires before I get in and drive and never needed something to tell me a tire was low... Just as I never needed stickers placed here and there about oil changes or a reminder on the dash telling me it needed changed. Ya can spend lotsa $ and maybe get that TPMS monitoring system up and working again like stock but really? Why even bother? It's an old system that signals whenever it senses a tire is more than this or that percentage different from another tire... it doesn't tell you which one! Just an old crap system.

#1 things I know... Have a spare working RCM and crank and cam shaft position sensors. Go under the back of the car and push up and out inner-most rear trunk-well plugs on the left and right before water builds in them and eventually destroys the module in the passenger side rear (that is crazy $ to fix). And do the "sticky key fix" as it is not a matter of if but when that problem will present. Check the inside of the little door to the interior fuse panel on the driver's side and see if "Sticky Key" has been written there as that is where many will write that it has been done. If it hasn't been done just drive the car and at the first sign your key starts to get sticky trying to start, shut down, or remove... That's when you do it and do not delay doing it.

Last edited by Deepsea21; 05-24-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:01 AM

I figured that part of the reason that the new sensors didn't take was because our generic TPMS didn't have the capability to communicate the Crossfire. I'm inclined to go with @Deepsea21 's direction here, personally I've never seen the value in the system. None of my other vehicles have it, either. Someone else pointed me to this thread, which details moving the pin for the light itself to an unused spot on the connector. The car has passed inspection with the light on though, so I'm not too worried about that. It would just be nice to not have the light on all the time.

The Launch CP123 scan tool has been confirmed to clear SRS faults in another thread in this forum, so I have one of those on order now. Should see it next week sometime. Fingers crossed that it gets rid of the airbag light.

I had seen some recommendations about doing cam and crank sensors preventatively, but hadn't gotten to it yet. I like the idea of just having them on hand to replace when they start to go bad. Good to know about the other little things to do to save money in the long run. Thankfully I haven't had any sticky key issues, but I haven't checked the fuse panel like you recommended.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:56 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a document on disconnecting. a wire in dome light to kill the TPMS light. I cannot see my TPMS light due to my seating and steering wheel position but, knowing there is a piece of electrical tape on my dash would drive me crazy.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:11 PM

So the new scan tool showed up today, and I can't get it to read the airbag module. I can get it to connect to the car and read the ECU. But on the page where it asks me what module to interact with, there just isn't an option for airbag. I even double checked a video online and there should be that option in the menu. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, is there a trick to this I'm missing?