Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Anomaly 2004 Coupe

Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anomaly 2004 Coupe

Everyone, I have an issue with my wife's 04 Coupe.

She has had the car for a while now with no issues. However, about 6 months ago, the ESP/BAS light came on and would not come off. Despite our attempts to reset it, it just got worse. So one day when she was out of town, she went to a trusted Tireman and they ended up replacing the "brake switch" and resetting the ESP/BAS. Since then, the light has not come on.

Well, about a month or so later, we began experiencing the mystery no start issue. The first time it happened when she went to get gas. It displayed all the typical symptoms, key would fully turn, but nothing, no clicking from the starter and then all of a sudden, it started.

It went for about 2 weeks and then it happened again. This time, it happened to me and the key wouldn't come out of the ignition.... leaving me stranded at work. I thought it was the key being worn, so I had a friend run me to autozone and we picked up some "carbon powder" used by locksmiths... but no luck. I then thought it may be the battery so I tried to jump start it .... nothing. Then an hour later, on the phone with a tow truck.... it started.

Well, after that, we were a bit intimidated by the car and didn't drive any farther than 5-6 miles from home for a few weeks. It ran well and no issues so I decided to drive it to work 50 miles away. It ran like a top... no issues. Than on the way home, it stalled at about 70mph while I was on the express way. I immediately pulled over and attempted to start it and it ran fine.

After I got home, I began troubleshooting, and while I am a Lehman, I did find this site and did a bunch of searches. When I came across the RCM posts, especially the one from Tighed, I thought, "that's it!" so I did the fix, soldering the RCM. However, it was about 2 weeks in between the last time I drove it and re-installed the RCM.

Before I replaced the module I did test the battery and scanned it with an OB-II. . . both came out fine.. so I placed the module in, reconnected the battery and it started. . . . I immediately thought "whew I did it". So My wife excitedly began driving it again and reported everyday that she didn't have any issues.... zero. Well that lasted about 2 weeks and then one morning, I went to start the car and it started, then stalled and hasn't ran since. . . it reverted right back to the old symptoms...

So after all of this, I searched the Site, found the MB part No. for ordering the RCM. . ordered it and installed it yesterday. Well, today I am writing because it still will not start. Again, the key turns fully but nothing happens....

Specifically when I try to start, I have always had the same symptoms.Just to save some time and questions, I have downloaded the troubleshooting manual (while I don't fully understand it) and I do know the difference from reading the forum between the RCM issue and the Crank sensor. Again, each time it will not start, the same issues and symptoms occur.

Here's what i see each time;

What is On or What can be turned on;
  • Warning Lights on the dash
  • Radiator Fan (runs full blast)
  • Hazard Lights
  • Head Lights
  • Console Indicator - Spoiler Switch is Blinking
What is Off or What can't be turned on;
  • Radio
  • Power Seats
  • Overhead Lights (cabin)
  • Power Locks (Neither FOB or dash lock/unlock work)
So I want you all to know that I am dumb founded. Sure I am not a mechanic, but I am not incapable of fixing this I am sure. Something is telling me that it is electrical, maybe the SKREEM. I have a gut feeling that Tireman did something when they repaired. The bad thing is, the store that fixed it is 150 miles away (wife had it fixed while visiting family).

If any of you can help, I would really appreciate it. I would love to be able to take it to the dealer. However, when we parked it last, we placed it into our garage and there is literally no way of getting the damn thing out..... that's a different story.

Thanks again everyone, I look forward to your responses. And rest assured, i will keep everyone posted. I won't be one of those people who create a user name, post a problem, and never contribute again. I really like this board as I have been browsing for a few months it has helped me tremendously.

J.R.

Last edited by projectmangaler; 09-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Default Re: Anomaly 2004 Coupe

** Edited to add the Scan and Battery testing that I performed.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

While others have more experience with the Crossfire with likely more helpful suggestions, anytime I have had serious issues with a car, ( I would consider yours serious) I reach for the OBD reader and look for codes. Have you read your OBD's?

Last edited by user 8202; 09-23-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 AM

Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did use the OBD Scanner. . . I misspelled it in my post as an OB-II. . . It was an OBD-II.

Unfortunately, it didn't show any codes. However, to make sure it worked, I tried it on my Infiniti after unplugging my intake and it worked just fine.

So whatever it is, it doesn't show a code.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Forum Regular

You might try a search on here about the Crankshaft Position Sensor. A lot of what you have going on sounds like this part may be the culprit.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 AM

Rfors,

I was thinking that myself. However, the more I have read, it appears as if that issue displays different symptoms such as; the car will attempt to turnover but will not start. While mine won't even attempt to turnover at all.

Either way, I am gonna take a drive over to Autozone this morning and grab a battery just for the hell of it.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Forum Regular

A new battery would not hurt. Mine did some very strange things when the battery started having issues.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...y-problem.html

You might also check this thread.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome to the forum JR!

Initial symptoms were RCM indications. Now you say no crank issues.
Replacing the battery can't hurt because as mentioned our cars seem to go haywire when the batteries start to go on us. At this point I would invest in a CPS to eliminate that.
Do the battery and CPS thing and let us know where you stand then.

BTW what are your plans for the other RCM? We have a loaner RCM program and currently have only one RCM to loan. Just wondering!

Here to help!

DJ

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Welcome to the forum JR!

Initial symptoms were RCM indications. Now you say no crank issues.
Replacing the battery can't hurt because as mentioned our cars seem to go haywire when the batteries start to go on us. At this point I would invest in a CPS to eliminate that.
Do the battery and CPS thing and let us know where you stand then.

BTW what are your plans for the other RCM? We have a loaner RCM program and currently have only one RCM to loan. Just wondering!

Here to help!

DJ
DJ,

Thanks for the input.

Actually, the symptoms have remained the same even after replacing the RCM. Turning the key, both before and after gives the same results. So, that leads me to believe that it's not the CPS. However, I may replace it next.

Question though, would the CPS being bad, prevent some internal electronics from starting? such as the radio? I ask this because, while it certainly won't start, the radio isn't even working. On the other hand, maybe when you turn the key just to run aux power, while waiting in your car, a signal is sent through the CPS.... and if it's not working, then the radio would not turn on...

oh so much to think about...

Anyway, I have replaced the battery this morning, and still nothing. I took the old one is to Battery Plus and their diagnostics showed that it read 13+ volts. However, the cold cranking amperage was under 350. Which obviously meant the battery was bad. They said that they would like to see it over 500 to start the car. I believed the guy 110% because he was willing, if the diagnostic showed a good battery, to lend me a new one, just to make sure.... and not waste money.

I did see the thread on the RCM not being the problem, and ended up being the PCM. However, my main issue then would be how to get it to a dealer. Especially when I just spent $300 between battery and RCM.

As for the old RCM. I'm going to hang on to it for now... just in case. However, when/if I get this all figured out, I may donate it. I certainly see the benefit.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Hi JR
Sorry to hear about your dilema. If you do replace the CPS & still are in a no start situation, give some thought to searching some local repair shops in your area to see if any would have a DRB III along with their diagnostic tools. A nbr. of shops have recently purchased one from a Chrysler dealership that closed & you really need to have someone run this tool across your Xfire systems to see what DTC'S are hidden within. This is the only tool that will let someone see a problem codeand will let you use your newly acquired repair manual download you mentioned to hopefully put an end to your trouble. The shop will also need a 9043 multiplexer cable & an orange Xfire card to be able to get any info from your car. Most generaic scanners only pick up the P codes. One or two might be able to see an ABS code?? The only way to see what lies within the Skreem, BCM, Instrument Cluster, HVAC, etc. is with the DRB III search. If the tech. is good at what he does you should get the info. from your car with only a 1 hr. diag. charge. Good luck & keep us posted.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 PM

Good news!!

After 6 hours of reading the troubleshooting guide and actually learning it. . I ended up finding the problem.

I just ran the diagram to the last component I knew worked when I turned the key.

Long story short, I ended up going to Splice Block 100 and found that one of the bolts was loose. It was the one that can't be seen too clearly by the naked eye.

Anyway, I tightened her up, reconnected the ground, and boom.... she started.

Now, I have to go play the lottery.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Forum Regular

Amazing! Good work. I am glad you got the problem resolved.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by projectmangaler
Good news!!

After 6 hours of reading the troubleshooting guide and actually learning it. . I ended up finding the problem.

I just ran the diagram to the last component I knew worked when I turned the key.

Long story short, I ended up going to Splice Block 100 and found that one of the bolts was loose. It was the one that can't be seen too clearly by the naked eye.

Anyway, I tightened her up, reconnected the ground, and boom.... she started.

Now, I have to go play the lottery.
LOL
Glad you solved the problem, good for you.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by rfors777
Amazing! Good work. I am glad you got the problem resolved.
Thanks Rfors

I'm thinking that this could be a good find, as I did have the same symptoms as the guy who changed out his PCM.

Either way, I'm just glad my wife can drive her Crossfire a bit more before the snow hits.

and I get my car back!!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, that is very unusual new one. Congratulations on solving the problem.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Now all we have to do is make sure we mention tightening the bolts down on the Splice blocks when anyone gets the RCM issue. . . especially if their coolant fan immediately turns on...

Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
Wow, that is very unusual new one. Congratulations on solving the problem.
Tell me about it. . I have literally spent hours under the hood of this dang thing tightening up bolts, cleaning grounds, and I never would have guessed that the problem would be right in front of me. . .

I just hope it keeps running. If not, I will make sure I post here.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by projectmangaler
I ended up going to Splice Block 100 and found that one of the bolts was loose. It was the one that can't be seen too clearly by the naked eye.
I'm impressed.....nice work.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by tonygg
I'm impressed.....nice work.
Me too. The wifes not home yet but you can bet I'll be acting like a Peacock when she gets here.... you don't know how many times I have heard..."You're not gonna be able to fix it....Just tow it to the damn dealer"

Ahhh sweet, sweet revenge.

For the record, I rarely stop and ask for directions. . . I just use GPS

BTW - How's Toronto? I traveled there last year for work and loved it. Stayed downtown at One Kings West Hotel I believe... anyway I had a blast. Loved that city.

Last edited by projectmangaler; 09-23-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Anomaly 2004 Coupe