Canada Serving Canada.

Is there really Free Trade with the US?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is there really Free Trade with the US?

"I repeat. I think you can save yourself approx. $2,000. by finding a source for just the bump shocks, front and rear. No need for covers and refinishing."

That's nice to know...Now if only you'd actually name your source. ;-)

Old 12-10-2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaded1958cars
While you are at it explain the reasoning why the warranty is null and void once it's registered in Canada.
That's EASY. Chrysler Canada vs Chrysler U.S.
They have two different bottom lines.
Again, I'm not here to defend Chrysler, but if you were Chrysler Canada, you would understand why you would want to protect yourself against warranty claims.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular

In case you havent noticed the auto manufacturer has convinced the population that painted bumpers are the bomb.

Even a minor fender bender where not a single hair is hurt (until a lawyer gets involved where injury then becomes proportional to ones imagination) will result in at very least a $400 paint job and in most cases a new bumper skin.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM

In case you havent noticed the auto manufacturer has convinced the population that painted bumpers are the bomb.

Even a minor fender bender where not a single hair is hurt (until a lawyer gets involved where injury then becomes proportional to ones imagination) will result in at very least a $400 paint job and in most cases a new bumper skin.
I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about painted bumpers.???

Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular

I don't remember seeing or hearing anything about painted bumpers.?
I am refering to your claim that your PT miraculously survived a bump in comparison to the other car...You were lucky at best not to sustain paint damage and or a cracked bumper cover...or was your particular PT equipped with chrome bumpers?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Forum Regular

There was not a bit of damage to my back bumper but it punched a dent & hole into his. I asked him what he found behind the damaged bumper cover and he said nothing, no foam or anything. I know for a fact that my PT has reinforced foam in behind the bumper skin and that was the reason for no damage. mbepic
Your answer is simple...fluid filled bumper shock absorbers located at either end of the bumper.

My wife was driving a 1977 Cadillac Seville when a woman ran a stop sign - Result of crash?
Woman's passenger side right frame rail pushed to within 10" of the left rail, and the car buckled longitudinally pinning the woman against the steering wheel. She weighed about 98 lbs or shed be dead today.
Wife's car? Front end pushed back however zero engine displacement or deformation of the occupant cabin. Not even the windshield broke indicating little structural stress. My wife sustained minor injury.
My dear, your PT basically sits on a Neon frame, and I'm afraid you'd have not faired well in that crash.
I'm not convinced by your example or that there is any difference between 8km/hr Cdn crash tests in comparison to the 5mph Us testing, or how US or Canada fairs against crash testing performed on the German engineered Crossfire. Hmm who do I trust more German engineering and testing or domestic?

I repeat. I think you can save yourself approx. $2,000. by finding a source for just the bump shocks, front and rear. No need for covers and refinishing. mbepic
You still haven't named your source. Do you actually have one?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Re: Is there really Free Trade with the US?

It appears you quote safety concerns as the reason why the bumpers are not compliant...Can you please calculate the difference between 8Km/hr and 5 mph crash testing? Then take that negligible amount and apply it to a crash.

Excuse me however I need protection not at 8km/hr but at speeds much higher.

While you are at it explain the reasoning why the warranty is null and void once it's registered in Canada.

It never fails to amaze me regarding the lack of common sense people display, and the number of lemmings willing to jump over the cliff.

I don't buy it for a minute. You need not look far to see the influence large corporations have on policy making.
As I recall...

the 5 mph rules were instigated not by safety-minded bureaucrats, but by the auto insurance industry citing the unreasonable costs of minor collision repairs.

As I recall...

being a dotterer...

Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxcichon
As I recall...

the 5 mph rules were instigated not by safety-minded bureaucrats, but by the auto insurance industry citing the unreasonable costs of minor collision repairs.

As I recall...

being a dotterer...
If the insurance company was concerned over the amount of physical damage, they would be all over the auto industry for the introduction of plastic covered painted bumpers. I would hasten to guess, that liability, and personal injury are their biggest cost. The insurance companies and government can only exert pressure on the auto industry. It is consumer demand and competition (foreign) that really motivates the domestic auto industry to improve safety ratings.

They make allot of money in their body shop from minor bumper collisions. If they were serious, they would utilize modern technology and have the car withstand much higher impacts with less resultant damage to the vehicle bumper.

My point isnt that the bumpers are designed to absorb a 5mph impact, it is that Canadian standards discerns between 5mph US testing, and 8 kilometer/hr Canadian testing. The difference in speed is insignificant. Had we not changed to the metric standard of wieghts and measures the rating would still be 5mph.

The fact that Chrysler dealerships try to sell complete bumper kits including the cover under the guise of meeting RIV requirments, and Canadian standards is testimony to their impending greed. if they are to lose a car sale due to cross border shopping, they are hell bent on recovering the lost profit through compliance conversions.

A dealer told me it is often just a simple program change that will convert the car to day time running lights however, the manufacturer instructs the dealer to charge as much as 300.00 to perform this.

The Canadian auto industry has a desire to curb cross border car purchases for the average consumer. In contrast, the Canadian dealers are all over the US auctions purchasing thousands of cars for resale on their lots. The only tax they pay is the 6.2% on foreign built vehicles. It would be interesting to know if Chrysler Canada, and other manufacturers honour the warranty on cars purchased in the US by Canadian car dealers....My guess is the dealer will sell a new warranty or include it in the re-sale price. They make huge money on warranties as well.

Okay, I think I have explained myself enough.

I'm pissed at the Canadian dealers, and manufacturers and it will reflect in my choice of service outlet, and future car purchase habits.

Adios

Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
As I recall...
As I recall...
being a dotterer...

You are probably correct but it is the gov't bureaucrats that pass the laws involving this particular issue. The results are the same regardless of who instigated who.

BTW, I have stopped responding to Jaded because he started to get arrogant and disrespectful in his postings.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: Is there really Free Trade with the US?

Originally Posted by FP
Paul, cars are manufactured to meet country specific emission and other regulated safety requirements. Canada does have different bumper and day light running light requirements, so I'm sure that's the way they are built in Germany if exporting to Canada. Are you sure the day light running lights are not just a an internal switch? My S60 Volvo had a small screw where you could make the adjustment.
The entire switch must be changed out as it is wired internally.

The daytime running light switch is a complete module accessible through the Fuse cover on the left side of the upper dash assembly. It makes it easier to remove and replace if you detach the lower dash. I have instructions.

I swapped mine out and exchanged it for a module from a Canadian car...My buddy who purchased his XF in Canada didnt like the look of running lights and wanted to operate on the eyebrow lights instead. So now he has my US module, I have his, and my car is compliant for inspection.

If you have several people bringing cars in at one time, one switch could be group purchased and passed from vehicle to vehicle for inspection.

Although there is installation time the same goes for the bumpers. Just get a receipt with the CDN part numbers listed. ( i already purchased mine.)

Good luck everyone.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mbepic
Don't be discouraged by what you have learned.

This has nothing to do with inhibiting free trade or restricting Canadians importing from the U.S. These same regulations would apply on any Canadian built vehicle that was designated for the U.S. market and then imported back to Canada.

The problem lies with stricter safety regulations that have been passed in Canada. You can blame your Canadian govt. for that or praise them for trying to protect you from low speed collisions.

The fact that the stealership wants to sell you a whole package of covers and shocks is criminal but I guess their logic is that if you need shocks you are probably going to need the bumper covers too, since most would be replaced because of an accident. I think if you pursue this further, you will find that there is a way to order only the shocks you need for the conversion.
Yes, I purchased the bumpers separately and not as a complete bumper kit as stated by the local stealership.

As far as the bumpers go its nothing more than High density polyurethane foam. Only 5 of 6 bumper absorbers need to be changed suggesting there is probably very little difference or added safety in any of them. A US part is 35.00..The same cdn part is 75.00

I'm going south across the border for warranty and service. I'll make it a road trip.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering importing a Crossfire Roadster to Canada from the US. Really worried about this bumper thing. Anyone know if the standards have changed? I see an notice on the RIV site about them changing bumper standards here to harmonize them with those in the US. I assume this means that you no longer have to do the crazy bumper part replacement, though you know what they say about assuming...

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Toddy, the bumper modification is no longer required. There certainly is a much better selection south of the boarder and for that reason I too considered, even went to look at a few. I've imported other cars from Florida in the past but finally decided to purchase a CDN Crossfire rather than going south. Biggest reason for me was warranty, set aside the RIV fee, PST, GST (on their book value in CDN$, not what you paid for it in US$) air tax, and 9% duty, plus DRL and speedo conversion costs and delivery costs. Also, the depreciating CDN$ played a big factor. What ever you decide you're going to love the car.....good luck!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Thanks a lot, Bluecoupe! Still need to try one out -- I'm 6'3" and 280 so I'm a little worried about fitting into a roadster, but there's one in Ottawa on a lot that I'm going to check out if I ever get a free day without a freaking snowstorm.

9% duty? They charge the duty as if the car was made in Germany? Was hoping it would come up as a US car at Customs.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM

BTW, I imported a PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser last year from the US and it was a breeze. No problems at Customs at all or with the work with running lights at Cdn Tire. And Customs charged me based on what I paid, not on book value, which was nice.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

After reading all the posts here, i have come to this conclusion.
It would be a bad idea to let any government have anything to do with designing or manufacturing cars.

roadser with a stick

Old 01-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Is there really Free Trade with the US?

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Toddy, the bumper modification is no longer required. There certainly is a much better selection south of the boarder and for that reason I too considered, even went to look at a few. I've imported other cars from Florida in the past but finally decided to purchase a CDN Crossfire rather than going south. Biggest reason for me was warranty, set aside the RIV fee, PST, GST (on their book value in CDN$, not what you paid for it in US$) air tax, and 9% duty, plus DRL and speedo conversion costs and delivery costs. Also, the depreciating CDN$ played a big factor. What ever you decide you're going to love the car.....good luck!
So let me get this str8. They dropped the bumper conversion which was a requirement when I purchased my O5 Roadster however they are now charging duty? (I never paid duty) I guess the lecture I received from a forum member regarding bumper safety concerns can now be officially designated as BS.

The tanked dollar is probably the largest consideration. I no longer buy anything from the US on EBAY and have been amazed to find some good deals on custom wheels etc.- Right here in Canada! The crooks at UPS must be feeling the pinch on the prior windfall they received in brokerage fees.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

So let me get this str8. They dropped the bumper conversion which was a requirement when I purchased my O5 Roadster however they are now charging duty? (I never paid duty) I guess the lecture I received from a forum member regarding bumper safety concerns can now be officially designated as BS.

The tanked dollar is probably the largest consideration. I no longer buy anything from the US on EBAY and have been amazed to find some good deals on custom wheels etc.- Right here in Canada! The crooks at UPS must be feeling the pinch on the prior windfall they received in brokerage fees.
As stated before on this thread the bumper issue is dead 5 mph = 8 kph, I understand that the light issue is a matter of reprogramming. Canadian Tire is the licensed tester for these US cars. Other threads have said they had no problem, but others got hassled at the border. Do your homework first and have the correct paperwork when you show up at the border with the car.
Look for this thread `How to bring a Xfire roadster into Ontario, Canada'

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-08-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
As stated before on this thread the bumper issue is dead 5 mph = 8 kph, I understand that the light issue is a matter of reprogramming. Canadian Tire is the licensed tester for these US cars. Other threads have said they had no problem, but others got hassled at the border. Do your homework first and have the correct paperwork when you show up at the border with the car.
Look for this thread `How to bring a Xfire roadster into Ontario, Canada'
Hello; onehundred80
I received an alert from Forum yesterday - Canadian import. Thought I would post my experiences.
I imported my 2006 crossfire Nov.2007.(5422 Miles on it!) The bumper/RIV/light module/taxes etc. were all considered in the overall price I paid and still walked away with a huge deal. Even with the duty of 6% added. The dollar was par then which also helped. Good news of the bumper mods no longer required. Didn't know that. I imported on my own - followed the 'rules' had no problems. I had a 2004 coupe - white at that time - drove down with my spouse to PA for a nice roadtrip...picked up the 2006 white convertible w/black top and drove back. Was a nice sight two crossfires - white - 1 coupe - 1 convertible driving back - was a headturner and a conversation piece each time we stopped somewhere. We had a great trip. This is my second crossfire - leased the coupe - turned it in upon return with my purchased convertible. Made in Germany - had NO reservation about needing Warranty - had NO problems with the first one - and with such a deal I got, the 2006 would have to fall completely apart to make up the savings. Have had NO problems this past year either. Absolutely LOVE it!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet-on-Crossfire
Hello; onehundred80
I received an alert from Forum yesterday - Canadian import. Thought I would post my experiences.
I imported my 2006 crossfire Nov.2007.(5422 Miles on it!) The bumper/RIV/light module/taxes etc. were all considered in the overall price I paid and still walked away with a huge deal. Even with the duty of 6% added. The dollar was par then which also helped. Good news of the bumper mods no longer required. Didn't know that. I imported on my own - followed the 'rules' had no problems. I had a 2004 coupe - white at that time - drove down with my spouse to PA for a nice roadtrip...picked up the 2006 white convertible w/black top and drove back. Was a nice sight two crossfires - white - 1 coupe - 1 convertible driving back - was a headturner and a conversation piece each time we stopped somewhere. We had a great trip. This is my second crossfire - leased the coupe - turned it in upon return with my purchased convertible. Made in Germany - had NO reservation about needing Warranty - had NO problems with the first one - and with such a deal I got, the 2006 would have to fall completely apart to make up the savings. Have had NO problems this past year either. Absolutely LOVE it!
Gotta love those XFire, great news. I see they are selling 08's down south for US$17,000 now, what a steel.
I see you are just down Hwy 10, I live in Caledon.

Quick Reply: Is there really Free Trade with the US?