Canada Serving Canada.

Is there really Free Trade with the US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there really Free Trade with the US?

Has anyone in the club tried importing an XFire from the US to Canada since they are at least $15k less expensive there.
I was informed by our Government institutions all the rules and that the car would have to have daytime running lights (a $260 electronic module) and 5 bumper parts replaced.
My local dealer is rather clued out about this and could only say the parts are on back order.
Is there any hope of getting these parts?
And I find it hard to believe the car comes with special bumpers for Canada when it leaves Germany.
I'm waiting for a reply from the main Daimler Chrysler website as well.
It seems we are getting hosed in Canada while the good Americans can't sell their extra cars at giveaway prices.

Paul

Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Default Re: Is there really Free Trade with the US?

Originally Posted by Paul Graham
It seems we are getting hosed in Canada...

Paul
Paul,

Sad to say we're all getting hosed on many issues. Just wish it weren't so. Keep your chin up my friend.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, 3 to 5 Grand to do a switch, my buddy @ Great West won't bring any Crossfires in as they are not competitive with vehicles landed in Canada. Today's Journal ( page b7) has a '05 Roadster, yellow for $42,500, now that's a hosing!!

Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I find it hard to believe the car comes with special bumpers for Canada when it leaves Germany.
Paul
Paul, cars are manufactured to meet country specific emission and other regulated safety requirements. Canada does have different bumper and day light running light requirements, so I'm sure that's the way they are built in Germany if exporting to Canada. Are you sure the day light running lights are not just a an internal switch? My S60 Volvo had a small screw where you could make the adjustment.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 PM

Paul do not buy a US Chrysler product. I looked for the same reasons as you, any US product brought to Canada and registered in Canada all warranties are null and void ask a dealer who has some smarts (yes I know hard to find). I live in a boarder town lots of car and truck dealing over the last couple of years,because of the exchange rates. This was the way Diamler stopped it.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Terry is correct on the void warranty, I purchased one for $2,500, 3 years bumper to bumper, 100% refund if no claims. I am in Fox Creek till next week, if you want to see what I got and meet my buddy @ Great West please pm me.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sandgrounder
Yup, 3 to 5 Grand to do a switch, my buddy @ Great West won't bring any Crossfires in as they are not competitive with vehicles landed in Canada. Today's Journal ( page b7) has a '05 Roadster, yellow for $42,500, now that's a hosing!!
Thank you Sandgrounder,
I figured as much...maybe that's another reason Mercedes dumped Chrysler...
I'll just have to suck up the gas and mileage and keep driving the wheels off my 2005 Magnum AWD...
There is a 2004 plain black/auto coupe in Fort Sask going for $26k...that needs new wheels and tires...and I know the original owner...but that is the best I've seen for a price here other than a couple in Mississauga.
Even at $5k for a conversion the prices in the States are still a huge bargain but I suppose Chrysler won't part with the parts... They haven't even answered my E-Mail..
I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming for now and save up my rubles...for a Mercedes...

Paul

Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Yes FP...
The little switch costs $260...and the 5 bumper parts (internal brackets) another $600...
Our government won't let me change the parts myself so it's quite the hassle and expense provided one can get the parts..
When Chrysler here says the parts are on B/O...it probably means Bug Off...
One of the Chrysler guys at my service dealer told me of an X-Fire that was in the body shop for 9 months waiting for a few parts...
I might have better luck if I can make contact with the factory in Germany...

Paul

Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM

Hi, Paul;
Did you ever get your info. & did you go thru with import? The parts & module are under $1,000 & are 'in-stock' 3 days. but this is now November and based on a Canadian parts supplier. Any update on this in general info? Looking now into same issue, but not getting any negative vibes, but your posting is making me delve deeper on this issue.

Tks.
Brenda

Old 11-11-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet-on-Crossfire
Hi, Paul;
Did you ever get your info. & did you go thru with import? The parts & module are under $1,000 & are 'in-stock' 3 days. but this is now November and based on a Canadian parts supplier. Any update on this in general info? Looking now into same issue, but not getting any negative vibes, but your posting is making me delve deeper on this issue.

Tks.
Brenda
Brenda

Now that Chrysler Canada have lowered their prices due to the increased Cdn $, have you investigated now purchasing through a Canadian dealer? You should now be in a good position to put pressure on the dealers to match the U.S. prices.

Roy

Old 12-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Paul

I just priced out the components and labor from a Chrysler stealership. Brace yourself...$3,252

You have to purchase an entire bumper kit front and back including bumper covers.

Now I too find it extremely hard to believe that Chrysler makes special bumpers and covers just for Canadian vehicles. I bet when I have
the original bumper off the parts are identical.

Plan A > I just priced out parts on makeitMopar.com, and the bumper covers are $400 cheaper [EACH! However they wont admit the parts are the same in both countries.

It's funny that the car comes from Germany (who also are using metric standards) however when you import the car it's considered American built and you don't pay the 6.2% import tax. (That's so Chrysler can pretend the bumpers are non-compliant and the dealership is able to recoup their perceived loss to a US imported vehicle.) Not a bad scam!
As far as I'm concerned it's complete bullshit designed to curb the flow (inhibit free trade) of cars from the States.
Not to mention the blatant example of declaring the warranty null and void.

The same bumper replacement bullshit holds true for importing Corvettes.

Note: The dealership will accept return of parts within 7 days. for zero re-stocking charge.
After 7 days it's a 20% charge. (In case you change your mind to import). ;-)

Plan B > Purchase the bumpers. Take them to a starving body shop and have them installed paint free. (To save a few bucks). ;-) A local body shop says he can install or remove the bumpers in 4 hours vs. the 10 hours quoted at the stealership).

In answer to parts availability I would bet the parts become available the minute you order the complete bumper kit. (money grab to the tune of $1,800).

After you get all the work done in accordance with the guidelines of RIV you take it to a busy Crappy Tire store and show them your receipts for purchase and installation. While they are inspecting the car - removing front side window tint, installing daytime running lights, and child seat anchors (when applicable) - they may actually don X-ray glasses to ensure the new bumper absorbers were installed, and of course they will notice the fresh wrench marks on the bumper bolts They will then collect their money for nothing and rubber stamp it.
Congrats your car is now compliant, and the chicks are free.

Do the math. and draw any other conclusions you feel are appropriate to covet your hard earned dollar.

Cheers!

Last edited by jaded1958cars; 12-10-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Yes FP...
The little switch costs $260...and the 5 bumper parts (internal brackets) another $600...
Our government won't let me change the parts myself so it's quite the hassle and expense provided one can get the parts...
When Chrysler here says the parts are on B/O...it probably means Bug Off...
One of the Chrysler guys at my service dealer told me of an X-Fire that was in the body shop for 9 months waiting for a few parts...
I might have better luck if I can make contact with the factory in Germany...

Paul
$1,000 for total parts isn't so bad, but changing the bumpers? I understood from Chrysler that you how have change parts in the bumpers, not the bumper covers. How is that possible? Does anyone have these part numbers?

EA

Old 12-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Do not let the nay sayers deter you from importing the best bet is to find a broker and pay his/her fee.
My '06 Ltd 15,000 miles is coming from Texas into Edmonton for $23,500 CDN plus or minus a few bucks when the car is here I will get it registered and insured inspected at CDN Tire and then ship to my wife in BC for her to drive.
There is an '05 in Van for $26,000 plus the 2 taxes base model.

If you want a Crossfire you can do it yourself if you have the time.
Look in Autotraderonline there a 1,500 Crossfires for sale across the US, it's your choice!!!

Terry working in Calgary, living in BC.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by xfirevan
$1,000 for total parts isn't so bad, but changing the bumpers? I understood from Chrysler that you how have change parts in the bumpers, not the bumper covers. How is that possible? Does anyone have these part numbers?

EA
There seems to be a lot of confusion around this issue. I have an SRT-6 which I registered and insured in WA state. I'll import it next year but I want to buy the parts now in case they become impossible to track down.

I can't believe that you have to change the bumper covers based on the information I collected before buying the car including what I was told by Chrysler Canada. I'm importing my SRT-6 in Canada regardless but I'm not going to get screwed in the process.

I bought a "new" SRT-6 this summer and it's a blast to drive.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:16 PM

According to Transport Canada the bumper shocks need to be replaced NOT the bumper covers, this info is readily availible from their web site it just takes a while 5 days for me. The reason the shocks need to be replaced is that the car was never crash tested in Canada, the shock change info was given to Trans Canada by Chrysler. may be the same who knows, this situation exists with a model of Corvette, the shockss had a Canadian part #, during the model year GM changed all to the Canadian number, yet on importation the shocks have to changed, you need a bill for the shocks from a GM dealer and a bill for the installation typical Canadian Gov't thinking.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaded1958cars
Hi Paul,
As far as I'm concerned it's complete bullsh*t designed to curb the flow (inhibit free trade) of cars from the States. Cheers!
Don't be discouraged by what you have learned.

This has nothing to do with inhibiting free trade or restricting Canadians importing from the U.S. These same regulations would apply on any Canadian built vehicle that was designated for the U.S. market and then imported back to Canada.

The problem lies with stricter safety regulations that have been passed in Canada. You can blame your Canadian govt. for that or praise them for trying to protect you from low speed collisions.

The fact that the stealership wants to sell you a whole package of covers and shocks is criminal but I guess their logic is that if you need shocks you are probably going to need the bumper covers too, since most would be replaced because of an accident. I think if you pursue this further, you will find that there is a way to order only the shocks you need for the conversion.

Last edited by mbepic; 12-10-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Forum Regular

Cover front Bumper 1By28p41AA $700.49 2.8 hrs
Cover Front Bumper Refinish 2.6
Absorber front bumper LT 5102545AA $92.15
Absorber front bumper RT 5102547AA $92.15
Cover rear bumper 5159189AA $700.49
Cover rear bumper Refinish 2.5
ABS Rear Energy LT 5102553AA $81.90 2.2
ABS Rear Energy RT 5102554AA $81.90
ABS Rear Energy 5102556AA $207.00
Enviro Levy 6.00

Gross Parts $1,956.00
Shop material $19.35
Paint material $153.56
parts total $2,128.99
Tx on material $149.03

Labour
Sheet metal 5 hrs $298.75
Refinish 5.1 $444.21
Labour total $742.96
Tax on labour 7% $52.10
Sublet repairs $6.00
Tax on Sublet $.42

Goods and services tax @ 6% $172.68
Gross Total $3,252.09
Net total $3,252.09

Last edited by jaded1958cars; 12-10-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 PM

I repeat. I think you can save yourself approx. $2,000. by finding a source for just the bump shocks, front and rear. No need for covers and refinishing.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Forum Regular

It appears you quote safety concerns as the reason why the bumpers are not compliant...Can you please calculate the difference between 8Km/hr and 5 mph crash testing? Then take that negligible amount and apply it to a crash.

Excuse me however I need protection not at 8km/hr but at speeds much higher.

While you are at it explain the reasoning why the warranty is null and void once it's registered in Canada.

It never fails to amaze me regarding the lack of common sense people display, and the number of lemmings willing to jump over the cliff.

I don't buy it for a minute. You need not look far to see the influence large corporations have on policy making.

Last edited by jaded1958cars; 12-10-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM

I think the best way for me to explain govt thinking is this first hand experience.

I had a friend of mine with a '98 Cadillac back into my later model PT Cruiser, back bumper to back bumper.

There was not a bit of damage to my back bumper but it punched a dent & hole into his. I asked him what he found behind the damaged bumper cover and he said nothing, no foam or anything. I know for a fact that my PT has reinforced foam in behind the bumper skin and that was the reason for no damage.

His estimate to replace the bumper on the Cadillac was $1,300 for a collision that probably was less than 5km per hour.

BTW, I'm not here to defend Chrysler or big corporations but to explain why your Cdn. govt has stricker bumper regulations.

Last edited by mbepic; 12-10-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Is there really Free Trade with the US?