Canada Serving Canada.

The (Old) Hippie Tour

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The (Old) Hippie Tour

Do you like good music? Have you heard about The Midnight Ramble? Do you want to experience both as part of a terrific GTG/Cruise through the hills & twisties of the Adirondack & Catskill Mountains? Then this may be for you. I’m sending this out wayyyyy early so that we can see how many will be interested or be able to make plans for it.
The (Old) Hippie Tour: May 19 – 21, 2012
Grace Slick once said that “if you can remember the sixties, then you weren’t there.” But maybe we can go back. Levon Helm was the drummer/singer for a band called, simply enough, The Band. He was the only American member of this 5 piece outfit that consisted of four other Canadians from south western Ontario. Together they created a unique sound that wove folk and rock into what has become known as Americana. Their biggest achievement was their breakup recording and movie directed by Martin Scorsese called “The Last Waltz”. This is an opportunity to go to the home (for a price) of Levon Helm and enjoy an evening of some of the best live music there is. Due to throat cancer, Levon doesn’t sing too much anymore, letting his other musicians handle most of those chores, but they are top notch. And he almost always has a surprise guest or two to come in and help with the entertainment. Check out Levon Helm at www.levonhelm.com Levon does still tour and there’s no guarantee this far out that there will be a Ramble for this weekend, but the odds are in our favour. The drive alone, visiting Woodstock, Bethel Woods, and Watkins Glen should make this long weekend worthwhile. If we can add in a concert in the home of a rock legend it would be icing on the cake. Group rates for the Ramble are $125.00/person – but well worth the price. It will be 1st come first serve and they fill up fast, so we’ll need to know how many will book when they announce the dates.
Day One, Saturday May 19
1) 8:00 a.m. – meet at Tim Horton’s, Prescott Ontario. 8:30 a.m. cross border to Ogdensburg & drive to Adirondack Hotel, Long Lake, NY, for Lunch
2) To Woodstock NY – dinner in Woodstock TBD & Ramble @ Levon Helm’s home (The Barn). Lodging as per your own arrangements from recommended listings to follow.
Day Two, Sunday May 20
1) Breakfast on own. 9 a.m. – meet in “downtown” Woodstock – sight-see, etc. 10:30 a.m. – depart Woodstock to Bethel Woods Museum (actual Woodstock Festival site)
3) Lunch on the way to Watkins Glen in Finger Lakes (Home of NASCAR Racetrack & site of 2nd largest pop festival) – dinner TBD. A great spot for group pictures with racetrack in background. Lodging as per your own arrangements from recommended listings to follow.
Day Three, Monday, May 21
1) Breakfast on own. 9 a.m. – depart Watkins Glen & north towards Oswego. SOCO Group may want to split off at I90 & go west under Lake Ontario - cross for home at Buffalo/Niagara Falls
2) EOCO Group continue around Lake Ontario eastern shore to Cross at Cape Vincent ferry (Howe Island/Kingston) & home
Please let me know what you think & I’ll confirm additional arrangements as needed.
Ottawa John & Sue

Old 12-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: The (Old) Hippie Tour

Who is this guy?
The Patron State of Shooting Stuff - YouTube
Watch the whole video.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:30 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great comeback story. I wondered how it tied in with your "Old Hippie Tour" thread. Like you said ...watch it to the end.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes..... Great come back story. Would be great to meet in person. A great way to raise interest in this cruise John... Way to go!

Old 12-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Sparkie & Turbomar. If there's a Ramble that Saturday it will just be icing on the cake of what should be a great cruise.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
Do you like good music? Have you heard about The Midnight Ramble? Do you want to experience both as part of a terrific GTG/Cruise through the hills & twisties of the Adirondack & Catskill Mountains? Then this may be for you. I’m sending this out wayyyyy early so that we can see how many will be interested or be able to make plans for it.
The (Old) Hippie Tour: May 19 – 21, 2012
Grace Slick once said that “if you can remember the sixties, then you weren’t there.” But maybe we can go back. Levon Helm was the drummer/singer for a band called, simply enough, The Band. He was the only American member of this 5 piece outfit that consisted of four other Canadians from south western Ontario. Together they created a unique sound that wove folk and rock into what has become known as Americana. Their biggest achievement was their breakup recording and movie directed by Martin Scorsese called “The Last Waltz”. This is an opportunity to go to the home (for a price) of Levon Helm and enjoy an evening of some of the best live music there is. Due to throat cancer, Levon doesn’t sing too much anymore, letting his other musicians handle most of those chores, but they are top notch. And he almost always has a surprise guest or two to come in and help with the entertainment. Check out Levon Helm at www.levonhelm.com Levon does still tour and there’s no guarantee this far out that there will be a Ramble for this weekend, but the odds are in our favour. The drive alone, visiting Woodstock, Bethel Woods, and Watkins Glen should make this long weekend worthwhile. If we can add in a concert in the home of a rock legend it would be icing on the cake. Group rates for the Ramble are $125.00/person – but well worth the price. It will be 1st come first serve and they fill up fast, so we’ll need to know how many will book when they announce the dates.
Day One, Saturday May 19
1) 8:00 a.m. – meet at Tim Horton’s, Prescott Ontario. 8:30 a.m. cross border to Ogdensburg & drive to Adirondack Hotel, Long Lake, NY, for Lunch
2) To Woodstock NY – dinner in Woodstock TBD & Ramble @ Levon Helm’s home (The Barn). Lodging as per your own arrangements from recommended listings to follow.
Day Two, Sunday May 20
1) Breakfast on own. 9 a.m. – meet in “downtown” Woodstock – sight-see, etc. 10:30 a.m. – depart Woodstock to Bethel Woods Museum (actual Woodstock Festival site)
3) Lunch on the way to Watkins Glen in Finger Lakes (Home of NASCAR Racetrack & site of 2nd largest pop festival) – dinner TBD. A great spot for group pictures with racetrack in background. Lodging as per your own arrangements from recommended listings to follow.
1) Breakfast on own. 9 a.m. – depart Watkins Glen & north towards Oswego. SOCO Group may want to split off at I90 & go west under Lake Ontario - cross for home at Buffalo/Niagara Falls
2) EOCO Group continue around Lake Ontario eastern shore to Cross at Cape Vincent ferry (Howe Island/Kingston) & home
Please let me know what you think & I’ll confirm additional arrangements as needed.
Ottawa John & Sue
John my wife and I would love to go on this run, is this something we need to register for now? or are we all waiting to find out, it sure looks cool, We're in!

V2addict (Angelo + Lynda)

Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Angelo -
I'm looking to see about how many might be going so that I can try to set something up with Levon Helm's staff in advance. They allow a group rate and minor discount for 5 or more people buying tickets at once, but entry and seating is a first come basis. Tickets can sell pretty fast once the Rambles are announced and I'm trying to get a little more consideration on that end for our group coming in, but I want to give a fairly accurate count on how many to expect. I want them to recognize the Crossfire Owners Group so that when we call in they'll know about us. It may not give us any advantage at all, but I'm going to try. The same for the hotels - there are really only a couple that we can get, so we'll want to be on their radar early too. Everyone will be responsible for their own reservations and Ramble tickets, but I'd like to make it as easy as possible.
Looking forward to seeing you Angelo.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 PM

Thanks John, look forward to meeting up with the eastern crowd this summer, and we sure are interested in the event if it is a go!

Thanks Angelo

Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Forum Regular

Code:
we sure are interested in the event if it is a go!
It will be a go. The only thing that I'm not certain of right now is the Ramble, but we can do the rest.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Forum Regular

Here’s an update on participation & requirements:
IN –
John & Suzanne McGavin (Ottawa John)- Howard Johnson, Anchor Inn, - Ramble, Thunder Road Tour
Mario Larouche/Shelley Quartus (turbomar) Howard Johnson, Anchor Inn – doubles - No Ramble, in for Thunder Road Tour
Angelo/Lynda DeAngelis (v2addict)
David/Cheryl White
Steve Stanton & Mrs. (Sparkie)-
Beaner – Day to Day
Tony G & Gaia – Howard Johnson King Size Bed, 2nd floor. & Anchor suite – Ramble, Thunder Road Tour
Normand Allaire & Marisol Beola – Howard Johnson, Belhurst Castle - Ramble, Thunder Road Tour
Cindy Kelly – Howard Johnson, Anchor Inn – Ramble, Thunder Road Tour

Singerron & Jenny – from PA - meeting in Woodstock & on to the Glen – no Ramble, in for Thunder Road Tour

Still waiting for confirmation on the Ramble from Levon Helm Studios. Please review the above & advise of any corrections or missing information.
To get the accommodation group rates, rooms at Howard Johnson’s and Anchor Inn will be held with my credit card under the Ontario Crossfire Group and will be transferred to your credit card upon check in. Please advise me of the names of all occupants of your room, number of beds required, smoking or non smoking requirements, etc.
To stay at accommodations other than Ho Jo’s or the Anchor, individuals will be responsible for making their own arrangements.
Looking forward to hearing from you, & to a great weekend in May -
John McGavin

Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: The (Old) Hippie Tour Update

THE WEIGHT !!! LEVON HELM

Hi All -

A few questions have come up that require clarifications on the logistics and timing for the upcoming tour.

1) For now it’s just the Howard Johnson on the 19th that needs reservations. They have everyone’s names & requirements, but rooms are to be booked and paid for on an individual basis. We didn’t have the magic number of 10 rooms to get the best possible rate, but that may come yet. At this time we have a better rate than normal, in part thanks to Norm Allaire who called in and used his CAA membership to get $116.99/night. It is offered to all of us – just identify yourself as part of the Crossfire Owner’s Group. Howard Johnson already has a wedding party booked and they are taking a lot of the rooms. When a Ramble is announced, chances are that more people will be looking for accommodations too, so we need to be ahead.

2) The Ramble. A rockin’ night at the home of Levon Helm. Suzanne & I have been to two of these a few years back, and they are absolutely the best evening of live music that we have ever experienced. Expensive at a group rate of $125.00 per ticket? Somewhat, but in line with top tickets at any major concert, and the venue is in Levon’s home studio. Very intimate and alive. Comparatively speaking there is nothing else like them and they are worth every penny. No May dates for home studio Rambles have been announced, but his ticket staff has agreed to take our names in advance to try to insure that we get in if one is announced. The total capacity of the place is under 200 people, so this is special and they do fill up very fast. Again, there are no guarantees, but the odds are in our favour. I have told the staff there that I’ll provide the names of all of our attendees by this Wednesday the 7th, so if you’re on the fence now’s the time to climb down. If you decide later, you may still be able to get in, but this gives the advance notice that they need for scheduling.

3) I don’t have all of the details worked out with the Anchor Inn yet – it’s their off season and the arrangements are a little more difficult. The Anchor Inn only has 11 rooms and right now they are ours, but once I get things finalized with the owner I’ve got to move on them. I’ll know more about how we go about it this week and will post on that when I have it.

4) Thunder Road Tour at Watkins Glen Speedway shouldn’t be a problem. I am waiting on an email from them confirming our intentions, but it seems almost that we pretty much show up at 4:30 to book in and pay. I plan to work a little more closely with them than this, but don’t anticipate any problems.

There are other hotels and motels that people can stay at if ours do fill up or people book late, but it would be nice for us to stay together if possible.

Looking forward to hearing from you -
Ottawa John

Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Forum Regular

So, what are you doing on the May long weekend? Us old hippies will be taking the tour - 3 days the likes of which we'll not likely see again -
1) Duty free shop at Ogdensberg, NY
2) Lunch at the historic Adirondack Hotel on Long Lake
3) A cruise through the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains
4) An evening at the home studio of a music legend Levon Helm, soul of The Band, rambles on - CNN.com
5) A visit to Bethel Woods Museum - site of the original Woodstock Music Festival The Museum at Bethel Woods | Official Site
6) More cruising through the Catskill Mountains.
7) 3 runs around the Watkins Glen Speedway Track
Thunder Road Tours - Watkins Glen International
8) An evening on the shores of Lake Seneca to unwind
9) A stop at one of the top outlet malls in New York State - the Waterloo Premium Outlet Mall - "Impressive savings at 100 outlet stores." www.premiumoutlets.com/waterloo
10) A ferry from Cape Vincent to Wolfe Island and from the island to KIngston, Ont.
All good things must come to an end. It's home from there and back to reality.

Who are these "Old Hippies"?
Confirmed - Ottawa John & Sue; Turbomar & Shelly; Tony GG & Gaia; Norm & Marisol; Cindy; Ron & Jenny; Jerry & Gwen; Pierre. Waiting for word from Steve, Brian, Dave & Cheryl.

So the question is, do you want to be an Old Hippie too?

Last edited by Ottawa John; 03-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Forum Regular

The Old Hippie Tour Schedule
Us old hippies are taking a “trip” and nobody wants a “bummer”. So I goggled a map from the interweb and plotted out a route. I have found, however, that goggle maps and GPMS units sometimes vary, so am providing the via points for everyone to set their own GPMS units to the settings as listed below for each part of the trip, and we should all end up at the same places with our sanity and marital status intact. (For those who need to know and can’t guess, Mario will explain why it’s a GPMS rather than just a GPS). I’ve done my best to avoid highways, and hope that the roads won’t be too remote – especially through the Dogpatch regions of the Catskills. But the twisties and hills will be a blast and should provide enough thrills to last a week or so. Bring your video cameras – you may want to relive this a few times. Or have proof that it happened – at our age there won’t be any “flashbacks”. And in case you haven’t been to the U.S. for a while, bring your passports, too.
Here are some cell phone numbers – if you need help, need to stop along the way – anything at all, you can call us en route and we’ll make sure that no one gets left too far behind.
John & Sue McGavin 613-914-8770
Tony G. & Gaia 416-418-1911
Ron & Jenny Singer 814-599-4250
Norm Allaire 416-580-2867

So set your GPMS to fun (and to “avoid toll roads and highways”) and here we go:
Day One, Saturday May 19 – Start with an empty tank!!!
1)8:15 a.m. – depart Tim Horton’s, Prescott Ontario. 925 Edward St Prescott ON, K0E 1T0. 8:30 a.m. to the bridge to Ogdensburg, NY
2)Before crossing the border a stop at the Duty Free shop should be in order. Refreshments for our evening enjoyment? Buy a little something to take home?
3)Now we’ll all fill up with gas at the Ogdensburg Sunoco Station off Hwy 37 at the Canton turnoff – good gas at US prices – and we all start with a full tank so that we know how far everyone can travel.
4)Drive to Adirondack Hotel, Long Lake, NY, for Lunch. 1245 Main Street, Route 30N, PO Box 355, Long Lake, NY 12847-0355 518-624-4700 Approx. driving time – 2.5 hrs. They’ll be waiting for us.
5)Head to Howard Johnson 2764 Route 32 Saugerties, NY12477 (845) 246-9511. The route will be via Long Lake to Amsterdam to Esperance (somewhere along this way we’ll stop for a pee break and more gas) to Durham to Windham to Hunter to West Saugerties and the hotel. Woodstock is just up the road, and is a hippie haven if ever there was one. The festival wasn’t held here, but don’t tell the local business owners. Tinker St. is lined with shops still making their living with tie dyed shirts and peace sign sales. Many stores are also like shrines to The Band. Stuck in the Sixties or what! (Like me?)
6)Evening – we’re booked into the Bear Café www.bearcafe.comfor some fine dining at 6:30 p.m., and then next door to the Bearsville Theatre for a performance by Vonda Shepard. Check her out at http://vondashepard.com/ I have paid the $30.00 per ticket in advance but the Theatre gave us a deal - 11 tickets for the price of 10. We’ll have a draw to see who gets the free one. All names put into a pot & drawn one at a time. A little suspense – the last name remaining wins. Everyone else owes me $30.00 US each. Bear Café – 1-845-679-5555 Bear Theatre - (845) 679 4406

Day Two, Sunday May 20
1)8:30 a.m. depart Woodstock to Bethel Woods Museum (actual 1969 Woodstock Festival site) Adults - $15.00
Seniors (65 years and older) - $13.00
200 HURD ROAD, BETHEL, NY 12720 This might just be the best part of the road trip. We’ll go via the hotel to Woodstock to West Hurley to West Shokan to the Bethel Woods Museum along a treed route through more hills and turns that will rival the dragon. Bethel Woods is where the real 1969 Woodstock festival took place, and the museum is built on the actual site. I’m sure that you’ll be able to satisfy any lingering tie-dyed needs here, too.

2)A full tank of gas, lunch & around a 12:30 departure for Watkins Glen in the Finger Lakes (Home of NASCAR Racetrack & site of 2nd major pop festival featuring The Band – larger than Woodstock but not as famous). A great spot for group pictures with the racetrack in background. Thunder Road Tour check in is at 4:30 p.m. and track time is 5 p.m. 2790 County Route 16 Watkins Glen, NY 14891. Our route is simple - via Bethel Woods to Johnson City to Owego (not Oswego – that’s tomorrow) to Watkins Glen Speedway.
3)Lodging at Anchor Inn & Marina 607-535-4159. 3425 Salt Point Road Watkins Glen, New York 14891 . Dinner location TBD and a pleasant relaxing evening. The previous days’ stop at the duty free store will likely prove beneficial here.
1)9 a.m. – depart Watkins Glen & head north towards Oswego.
2)Stop at Waterloo Outlet Mall on the top of Lake Seneca if you’re so inclined. 655 Route 318, Waterloo, NY 13165.SOCO Group may want to split off at I90 & go west under Lake Ontario - cross for home at Buffalo/Niagara Falls
3)EOCO Group & any others with time continue around Lake Ontario eastern shore past Sackett’s Harbour to cross on the ferry at Cape Vincent to Wolfe Island to Kingston & home
Thanks, everyone, for buying into this weekend. It wouldn’t be the same without you!
Mario & Shelley - Dinner, Theatre, & Thunder Road
Tony & Gaia - Dinner, Theatre, & Thunder Road
Norm & Marisol - Dinner, Theatre, & Thunder Road
Jerry & Gwen - Dinner, Theatre, & Thunder Road
Pierre - Dinner & Theatre, & Thunder Road
Ron & Jenny - Dinner, & Thunder Road
John & Suzanne - Dinner, Theatre, & Thunder Road

Any last minute additions? C’mon – everyone is welcome!

Last edited by Ottawa John; 05-17-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Was going to try to join up with the group at "The Glen" but just can't do it. Have a Great time!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What an amazing three days! Thanks to both John & Sue for organizing a well planned itinerary with lot's of twisty roads, amazing sites and good eats! Weather was perfect and the highlights were the visit to Bethel Woods with amazing scenery, fresh mountain air and the knowledge that something very special happened on the grounds many years ago...Watkins Glen was a blast and I could have done that all afternoon...the smell of brake dust and rubber were met by an enthusiastic crowd of Crossfire owners....and our last brunch together (Thanks Norm!!!) at Belhurst Castle was special with many of us agreeing we'll be back someday soon! This was once again another Crossfire event proving that the folks who hang out here are among the best friends you would ever want to meet...
...you can get a haircut now John...

Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 AM

I have to second Tony's response. It was one of the best weekends I have spent with a group of Crossfire owners. Well planned, Thanks to both John & Sue. Being the American's in the group my wife Jenny and I thank you all for letting us attend and making us feel welcome. Thank you all very much. Ron

Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by tonygg
What an amazing three days! Thanks to both John & Sue for organizing a well planned itinerary with lot's of twisty roads, amazing sites and good eats! Weather was perfect and the highlights were the visit to Bethel Woods with amazing scenery, fresh mountain air and the knowledge that something very special happened on the grounds many years ago...Watkins Glen was a blast and I could have done that all afternoon...the smell of brake dust and rubber were met by an enthusiastic crowd of Crossfire owners....and our last brunch together (Thanks Norm!!!) at Belhurst Castle was special with many of us agreeing we'll be back someday soon! This was once again another Crossfire event proving that the folks who hang out here are among the best friends you would ever want to meet...
...you can get a haircut now John...

I wish that I'd been able to attend - lot's of reasons why I wanted to be there. But, I had to train with my teammates for the Ride To Conquer Cancer and so I got in three 50km rides on the weekend. The weather in the GTA was perfect. I hope that your tour group got similar weather. Will there be photos published or shared? I really missed out it seems ... I really enjoy these tours... next time I hope

Last edited by PitMarshall; 05-22-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

....just to add....when leaving the discount mall (Gaia spent an hour in Coach store alone...!) with some discounted goodies, we were just about to get on I90 when we spotted a red coupe coming up a side street. It got in behind us and when sitting at a red light, the guy pulls up beside us, I roll down the window and he yells.."what model is yours?" I reply; "Limited Coupe, just like yours"...he replies; "I just got mine and I love it!" ...light turns green and I yell; "go to crossfireforum.org!"...he smiles and drives away.....

Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM

That experience is a good reason for us to have some business cards made up with our moniker and the forum's url. I think I'll do that the next time that I see Print Three or TigerDirect have a sale or freebie promotion on cards.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Forum Regular

Dragon? DRAGON??? WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING DRAGON!
Well, maybe it wasn't quite the same, but the weekend run was all the fun and more that I hoped it would be. The back roads of the Catskills are fantastic. I'm glad that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves so much, and I thank you all for your kind words. It was great to have Ron & Jenny from PA join us as well - it was great to meet you both and I'm sure that we'll meet up somewhere again in the future. It was also great to meet some others from Canada that I hadn't met or spent much time with in the past - and to make some great new friends to boot. Sue & I really did have a good time too. A really good time.
Tony - I swear I saw you genuflect at Bethel Woods - the all time shrine to hippiedom. We saw that red coupe at the mall as well, but didn't get to talk to him.
And just as an aside, I may let my hair grow a little more. Once a hippie always a hippie.
I also want to thank Norm again for the breakfast at Belhurst Castle - what a place! And Pierre kept us in stitches the whole time, as well as being generous with the jewelry for everyone - thanks again Pierre.
This is a killer - When I got home last night I opened my email and saw that a notice came on Sunday for a Ramble this coming Saturday - in honour of Levon's birthday. It sold out in 10 minutes.
See you all at the next one -
John & Sue

Quick Reply: The (Old) Hippie Tour